ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
According to Jason Cammisa the Lucid Air AWD is the best handling 4-door sedan he's ever driven.
The Lucid is Tesla circa 2012. I didn't buy Tesla then, I can't imagine buying Lucid now. Tesla has Musk who had PayPal, what does Lucid have? Rhetorical. It wouldn't get me to lop $100k on a Lucid. Not even $70 for a 1k mile Lucid Air I see on Carvana.
Sponsored

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The early Lucids were a problem. Those I drove last week were well made and worth a look. Of course the risks associated with a new manufacturer are real. In buying one you are trusting their Saudi investors to stay the course. Really nice luxury EVs that offer some great packaging and range advantages, however.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I just drove both a Lucid Pure and a Lucid Touring this past weekend.

The Pure is rear wheel drive and you can feel the car's weight shift dramatically when you make even moderately aggressive turns. Not a sports car.

The Touring is 4-wheel drive and handles extremely well. I presume they employ torque vectoring to keep the car well planted in aggressive driving and it works really well.

My Taycan 4S has the optional rear wheel steering, power steering plus, Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus, and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport. I can't speak for other Taycan chassis configurations but my 4S handles like a 911 with much greater comfort. It's amazing.

With that said, the Lucid Touring offers tons more room and range for less money than a Taycan 4-wheel drive model. I highly recommend you take one for a test drive if you are considering a luxury EV. Let us know if you think the Lucid Touring handles as well as a Porsche.
I have the same performance set up on my 2020 4S, and your are absolutely right....it handles not unlike my 911S, just a bit heavier.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
These are worth what someone will pay for it. All of the other points about what you paid, what should be, is just hoo hah.
I have to say, I agree with this. I bought a car I wanted and could afford and I understood that, even now, all EV owners are early adopters. Whenever I replace the Taycan, I will again buy whatever I want and can afford, taking the remaining value of the Taycan into account.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Again, though, I'm not sure even that's true (taken literally). 50% of value after 2-3yrs or so.

The curve should then flatten over time and relatively quickly.

Am still of the view that Porsche screwed the pooch on this. Aston did similar in 2007 with the V8Vantage. They got their sums wrong, and it's entirely within their gift to fix it
Lower used prices will reduce new car purchases, hitting Porsche pocket too. It will also reduce residual values, causing lease payments to climb, also reducing Porsche sales. Refresh may help Porsche a little bit, as they may try to push a "refresh will depreciate slower" theory, but not sure many people will buy it.

With the car market recent correction, some car manufacturers are writing checks to leasing companies to cover their loses from used car values falling significantly below residuals. They do that so that the leasing companies don't tank the residuals for new cars being sold today. I wonder if Porsche has been compensating leasing companies for their loses. I guess next year will tell, as 2 years ago the car values peaked, as did the residuals, and 3 year leases are ending in a year.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The early Lucids were a problem. Those I drove last week were well made and worth a look. Of course the risks associated with a new manufacturer are real. In buying one you are trusting their Saudi investors to stay the course. Really nice luxury EVs that offer some great packaging and range advantages, however.
You know, after a decade of Teslas I bought a Porsche hoping to avoid teething pains I went through with Tesla, but it turned out to be a futile attempt. My Taycan ownership parallels a lot of early Tesla ownership (2013/2015 Model S - before M3 came out), with the main difference being slower progress on the Porsche engineering side.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Lucid is Tesla circa 2012. I didn't buy Tesla then, I can't imagine buying Lucid now. Tesla has Musk who had PayPal, what does Lucid have? Rhetorical. It wouldn't get me to lop $100k on a Lucid. Not even $70 for a 1k mile Lucid Air I see on Carvana.
You could have bought Tesla stock in 2012 like I did after a test drive... I just didn't buy enough of it and now I'm stuck here still working like a sucker.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm actually surprised with the number of you who bought their Taycan instead of leasing it. I mean the resale of any EV has been from start challenging as the 2nd hand market is nearly inexistant.
Well, it's quite simple really - I'm too poor to rent a luxury car for a few miles per day, and give it back in pristine shape after 2-3 years; if I paid top price (by my standards) for a car (or a watch, or shoes etc.) I expect I'll drive/wear the fuck out of my purchase - everywhere and all the time.

Meanwhile I enjoy driving this marvel of a car with no regret.
I'm in violent agreement with you on this one.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The Taycan resale market is lousy but having driven every other luxury EV, I am very happy to continue joyfully driving the best EV out there. The closest thing to the Taycan is a 4-wheel drive Lucid but it is no Porsche as to handling and overall driving enjoyment. I guess we are stuck with the prom queen but I don't see that as a negative. The used car market doesn't know what it is missing, yet.
Good point.

And although I have been disappointed with some aspects of my Taycan ownership (mostly dealer related) I could not go back to an ICE car now.
I've got used to the quiet, smooth ride and instant torque (not to mention cheap fuel).

The wife has just bought a PHEV, so I am staying with EVs.
And the Taycan is as good as it gets.

Which leads me to the conclusion that the used market is currently undervaluing the car for a number of reasons.

Maybe-Used

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID4 Pro-s
Country flag
There is limited information and DIY resources for repairing electric vehicles, especially Taycans. Nearly 100% of these expensive cars remain under warranty, leading to mostly dealer-only repairs and causing hesitation in the secondary market buyer like myself. Despite initial reliability concerns with the Taycan, as a third-time EV owner, I'm really trying to convince myself I need a Taycan. More knowledge on EV repair is crucial, especially for enthusiasts who enjoy working on their cars. Porsche, with its appeal to car enthusiasts, could benefit from it. We need to develop a community around Taycan maintenance and repair with more diagnostic tools.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm actually surprised with the number of you who bought their Taycan instead of leasing it. I mean the resale of any EV has been from start challenging as the 2nd hand market is nearly inexistant. The 8 year battery warranty currently determines the entire car lifecyle (while EV battery recon process is not widely spread) and depreciation is taking a major hit because any 2nd hand user considers this. Taycan is no different from other EV.

I leased a second hand MY22 Taycan 4S from Porsche dealership for that reason: I didn't want to deal with the resale issue. 1100€ montly lease with 18k downpayment seemed the sweet spot for me. In 2 years I'll be out for the same kind of deal for a MY25 Turbo. Meanwhile I enjoy driving this marvel of a car with no regret.
Leasing has many uses. One is business and tax deductions - simplifies accounting as the monthly payment consist of only depreciation, use/loan fees, and taxes (so can be expensed without amortizing over time). For individuals lease can serve as depreciation insurance. Like any insurance, it costs money, and it works out for some people but not for most. This time it might habe worked out for you, it doesn’t mean leasing is the best way to go for everyone in every situation. In your case, you will pay 18k+1.1k*36 so $57.6k. How much was the second hand Taycan price?

Last edited:

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
I wrote I'm surprised because I thought the leasing model was the norm in the USA and in the UK.
En France, we used to finance thru credit but the leasing tends to impose concerning EVs, for the reason I mentioned (incertitude on 2nd hand market and buyers fear to have difficulties reselling). Leasing is always more expensive and not as seamless as it should be... the only benefit is the buyback guaranty.

Answering your question : I got a 3 year lease (45,000 kms) with 18k down payment out of a 2nd hand MY22 Taycan (100k€ - sticker price was 160k€). Insurance and bumper to bumper warranty included.
Residual value is 58k€. Total cost of the lease: 117k€

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wrote I'm surprised because I thought the leasing model was the norm in the USA and in the UK.
Percentage of cars leased vs. purchased in the US was 18% in 2022 and 21% in 2023 (source), so not quite "the norm". Personally I've bought and leased cars in Canada and USA, with the vast majority being loans or cash purchases. Leases made sense only a few times (I always consider all options, decide what makes most sense, even did a lease once with $150 residual value because the lease rate was heavily subsidized so it was cheaper to leasw with $150 residual, and of course buy it at the end, than take a loan for the same amount of months).

Answering your question : I got a 3 year lease (45,000 kms) with 18k down payment out of a 2nd hand MY22 Taycan (100k€ - sticker price was 160k€). Insurance and bumper to bumper warranty included.
Residual value is 58k€. Total cost of the lease: 117k€
So 17k€ extra to insure yourself against the car being worth less than 58k€. So if the car is worth 41k€ you broke even. Rough calculation ignoring some possible investment opportunities, but close enough. How much do you expect the car will be worth at the end of your lease?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
So 17k€ extra to insure yourself against the car being worth less than 58k€. So if the car is worth 41k€ you broke even. Rough calculation ignoring some possible investment opportunities, but close enough.
In my own case, which I considered early '22, savings rates were too low, but of course had I known that within a year they'd be up to nearly the PCP APR (had I taken it originally), it would have been a good choice (especially in light of disappointing depreciation). However it became a moot point when I decided that I valued the flexibility of outright ownership more.
Sponsored