Taycan resale value

Series7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 BMW M550i
Country flag
I know I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here since there hasn't even been a production Taycan sold yet, but anyone have any guesses for future resale value to expect?

May not be easy to predict considering the lack of many competing sports sedan EV's resale value trends to base this off of. And although the Model S is a good comparison, they're also not Porsches which usually enjoy some of the best resale in their segments.
Sponsored

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
OK here is my WAG, assuming they look close to the Mission E concept (otherwise all bets are off) the first year the value will hold pretty well near the new car prices. Also assuming no real new model production bugs. If the second year of production, the car can be delievered with no more that a 3-6 month wait the value of the first year cars will behave more like other luxury vehicles (ie steeper deprecation) unless the price of the second year cars takes a significant bump. Then the first year cars will continue to hold up well.

In the following years I think the Taycan will still hold up better than the Pano but there will be significant depreciation from then forward. I have to think the Taycan will hold up way better than the Tesla S as I would expect it to be a step up in fit finish, interior quality and reliability.

To me the next question is how fast and how extensive the charging stations will come on line. While Porsche has said they expect 85% of charging to be done at home, I think slow role out of charging facilities will hurt the sales and resale prices as well as the perception of potential buyers. People are tired of promises which are undelivered ala Tesla.

So that’s one opinion I will probably be wrong.:D

Mhsulli

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P85
Country flag
OK here is my WAG, assuming they look close to the Mission E concept (otherwise all bets are off) the first year the value will hold pretty well near the new car prices. Also assuming no real new model production bugs. If the second year of production, the car can be delievered with no more that a 3-6 month wait the value of the first year cars will behave more like other luxury vehicles (ie steeper deprecation) unless the price of the second year cars takes a significant bump. Then the first year cars will continue to hold up well.

In the following years I think the Taycan will still hold up better than the Pano but there will be significant depreciation from then forward. I have to think the Taycan will hold up way better than the Tesla S as I would expect it to be a step up in fit finish, interior quality and reliability.

To me the next question is how fast and how extensive the charging stations will come on line. While Porsche has said they expect 85% of charging to be done at home, I think slow role out of charging facilities will hurt the sales and resale prices as well as the perception of potential buyers. People are tired of promises which are undelivered ala Tesla.

So that’s one opinion I will probably be wrong.:D
That was a well thought answer. I believe year 1 & 2 will hold up but I’d add that battery management & performance are potential for downside. Fit & finish plus better service will help vis-a-bis Tesla.

Ultimately depreciation (I think) will conversge similarly to like ICE cars.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
That was a well thought answer. I believe year 1 & 2 will hold up but I’d add that battery management & performance are potential for downside. Fit & finish plus better service will help vis-a-bis Tesla.

Ultimately depreciation (I think) will conversge similarly to like ICE cars.
Another factor would be a significant improvement in battery technology. I just read that Porsche will introduce improved battery tech in 2020. It is not clear if this tech will be in the Taycan at launch.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
I know I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here since there hasn't even been a production Taycan sold yet, but anyone have any guesses for future resale value to expect?

May not be easy to predict considering the lack of many competing sports sedan EV's resale value trends to base this off of. And although the Model S is a good comparison, they're also not Porsches which usually enjoy some of the best resale in their segments.
That honestly baffles me.

It's an EV - and an early full EV at that. Which isn't a good omen for its resale value.

However, if it's popular and they sell a lot of them, the resale value might not suffer so much.

The Taycan will be a 5-series sized car (length and width wise anyway, it's got a much lower height and roofline), and a 5-series has strong resale values. So it could be in with a shout of good resale values if it sells well.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
The Model S has been enjoying a very good resale value since it is highly appreciated by its owners so the second hand market is strong. Also because it is the only vehicle in its class with an electrical power train. So the Taycan should also have a good resale value for the same reasons and that it has the coveted name of Porsche

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
Of all Porsches ever made approx 60% are still alive and well (on the road). There’s no other brand close to this. Of course this is very much thanks to the iconic 911 and it’s fans. But still... quality!
Sponsored