IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
How important do you think adaptive air suspension is? Reviews I've read/seen indicate its right up there on the list of must-have options.

Also, is it true that 19" tires are more comfortable than 20"? I'm looking at a Taycan now that is just about perfect except that the rims on its 19" wheels are really ugly.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
How important do you think adaptive air suspension is? Reviews I've read/seen indicate its right up there on the list of must-have options.

Also, is it true that 19" tires are more comfortable than 20"? I'm looking at a Taycan now that is just about perfect except that the rims on its 19" wheels are really ugly.
More rubber (higher tyre profile) equates to a more comfortable ride regardless of suspension type.

19" wheels look odd (too small) and 20" is the perfect compromise.

Air suspension is A1 for all sorts of practical reasons and not just comfort.

If budget permits you won't regret it.

There's a reason air is standard on all models except RWD!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
19" wheels look odd (too small) and 20" is the perfect compromise.

Air suspension is A1 for all sorts of practical reasons and not just comfort.

If budget permits you won't regret it.

There's a reason air is standard on all models except RWD!
Agreed. I have 20" aero + air suspension and love it.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
I h

I have a RWD with coils on 21 inch aero blades. For South East London / motorway it's a great ride. It's not particularly low. It has handled every speed bump fine and even goes straight over the double square ones as the car is so wide. I can't speak for air lift. But I would not pay more given I am delighted with my current ride. Air is a nice to have imho.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
21s plus air and it's a great ride, even lowered. The one thing that really helps is lifting the nose. Parking garage at work has a STEEP incline.

OP
OP
IrwinJ

IrwinJ

First Name
Irwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SL550
Country flag
21s plus air and it's a great ride, even lowered. The one thing that really helps is lifting the nose. Parking garage at work has a STEEP incline.
funny you mention that, I've got a steep driveway going down to my garage. Does the adaptive air suspension make it easier to get it, than just the spring suspension?

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
I have 21 Mission E wheels, RWD with Basic suspension. Mine was an odd order, placed by someone else who cancelled later. But only one I could find with a PB+ battery (which makes a noticeable difference in performance IMO). It missed two critical options I valued most on paper 1-Air Suspension 2-Adaptive CC. What i can tell you, I am an air suspension fan in general, but am amazed by how comfortable and sophisticated base suspension feels even with 21s. This is one of those cases where theoretical expectations differ graetly from real life. So you won't miss air suspension in this vehicle I think. I can't say the same thing for ACC, it is stupid that it does not come standard on a 110K vehicle. But we all know Porsche...

Last edited:

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
I turned down a car that was incoming in May that was 80% similar to my build (Aug, before recent delays). Largely was due to lack of air suspension.

I think the coil springs will ride quite well, and they do have adaptive dampers, so from a performance and comfort standpoint I don't think you'll be giving up too much. I test drove a 4S on Air with 20s and was impressed by the ride quality so wanted to pick the same combo that I drove. But again, I've heard the steel is quite good as well

Key thing is I am picky about fitment / stance of my car, and the steel springs ride too high for my tastes. See Nick Murray's video where he test drives a steel spring car. There are no aftermarket springs for the Taycan, and by that time you'd be better off optioning air suspension for a similar price, plus ability to have lift ability, which help reduce anxiety in steeper driveways.

cb02z0

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan (base)
Country flag
I've bought mine with 19s and steel suspension. I upgraded to 20s and you feel the road more but agree that the 19s don't look right on the car. As far as suspension, I test drove a 4s with air and felt the ride to be really smooth. Do I notice a difference between my steel suspension vs the air suspension I test drove? Not really but if you have the budget for it I would recommend you option it because it does add to the overall resale value of the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
funny you mention that, I've got a steep driveway going down to my garage. Does the adaptive air suspension make it easier to get it, than just the spring suspension?
You can manually raise the height of the car to increase clearance. This is part of the SmartLift feature which memorises the geo coordinates to then automatically lift next time around at that location.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I've got a steep driveway going down to my garage. Does the adaptive air suspension make it easier to get it, than just the spring suspension?
I have a steep driveway as well. Without smart lift, my Taycan will bottom out as I go up my driveway.

At least for me, smart lift is essential. I can't comment on the comfort of air suspension versus steel coils since I haven't driven a Taycan without air suspension.

Last edited:

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Most likely, yes - however the spring suspension has a higher ride height than the air suspension in normal mode. I believe air suspension lift mode is even higher however.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I scraped a steel spring loaner 5 days in a row on this particular ramp. It may only be a half an inch or so but to me, it's worth it.
Sponsored