Taycan stolen

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi all,

Have an unfortunate story to share with the group. I had given my 2020 Taycan to the dealer for a recall message I had got for software upgrades and also to track down an annoying rattle. The car was with them a week. I went back to the dealer to test drive it with a mechanic to see if can recreate the rattle. They could not locate the car.
I find out that the car had been stolen from the lot. They had some camera showing it being driven away. I will spare you the sordid details of how this got executed, unless folks here want to know the details.
Have any of you had experience with something like this happening? How do I negotiate with the dealer for their negligence?

Still reeling…
well that sucks, believe it or not it isn't uncommon for cars to be stolen like this, that does nothing to make you feel better about losing your car.
You should make a claim to your insurance company regarding the loss and let them fight the battle with the dealership

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did you check the vehicle location in the Porsche Connect app? If the thieves or dealership tech switched your PCM to privacy mode then I suppose that won't work. Did you happen to purchase the Car Security Package that works even in privacy mode? Perhaps you can still purchase that package and Porsche can remotely activate it?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
well that sucks, believe it or not it isn't uncommon for cars to be stolen like this, that does nothing to make you feel better about losing your car.
You should make a claim to your insurance company regarding the loss and let them fight the battle with the dealership
this. Plus I’d push on the dealer to repay your deductible and any gap between the insurance and a replacement. Oh, and actually help get you a new car. They should be ashamed.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
This story completely blows every other moan about lame dealer service people etc. out of the holy water! What an absolute sh*t-storm for that dealer. You can't leave a bad Google review that's bad enough to point at how stupid that is!

I would be really (no nuclearlly) pissed off. Severe negligence. If I owned that dealer I'd offer sbs a freakin' top-end loaner FREE until they replaced his damn beautiful luxury car. And swag. And beg & grovel.

There is this thing called the "World Wide Web", and people leave REVIEWS for crap like that.

For THOUSANDS of other people...

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting. A similar thing happened to my wife’s Audi several years ago when she dropped her car off for a repair. The CHP knocked on our door at 1AM and told me her car had been stolen and abandoned at the foot of the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge. As I sat in the CHP cruiser with the cop as he radioed to tow the car, the CHP dispatcher told the officer that the car was no longer at the bridge. Long story short, turns out an employee took it out for a midnight test drive and left it at the foot of the bridge after stalling it. The idiot employee then walked 4 miles back to the dealer and arranged to tow the disabled car back to the service center. Massive dealer incompetence.

Since the Taycan can't be started without a key, how the hell did the thief access that and why your car as opposed to some 911 Turbo S?

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Interesting. A similar thing happened to my wife’s Audi several years ago when she dropped her car off for a repair. The CHP knocked on our door at 1AM and told me her car was spotted abandoned at the foot of the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge. Turns out an employee took it out for a midnight test drive and left it there after stalling it. As I sat in the CHP cruiser with the cop as he radioed to tow the car, the CHP dispatcher told the officer that the car was no longer at the bridge. Long story short, the idiot employee left the car, walked 4 miles back to the dealer and arranged to tow the disabled car back to complete the repair. Massive dealer incompetence.

Since the Taycan can't be started without a key, how the hell did the thief access that and why your car as opposed to some 911 Turbo S?
I bet the dealer left the key on the wheel or something similar for easy access when they were ready to move it elsewhere.

Tay-k

First Name
Tayk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi all,

Have an unfortunate story to share with the group. I had given my 2020 Taycan to the dealer for a recall message I had got for software upgrades and also to track down an annoying rattle. The car was with them a week. I went back to the dealer to test drive it with a mechanic to see if can recreate the rattle. They could not locate the car.
I find out that the car had been stolen from the lot. They had some camera showing it being driven away. I will spare you the sordid details of how this got executed, unless folks here want to know the details.
Have any of you had experience with something like this happening? How do I negotiate with the dealer for their negligence?

Still reeling…
So very sorry to hear this...I assume you have theft insurance on the vehicle? Did it have Comfort Access enabled by any chance?
The dealership is just horrible.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did you check the vehicle location in the Porsche Connect app? If the thieves or dealership tech switched your PCM to privacy mode then I suppose that won't work. Did you happen to purchase the Car Security Package that works even in privacy mode? Perhaps you can still purchase that package and Porsche can remotely activate it?
If your car gets stolen, you don't want it back. It'll probably have a branded title. Likely will get trashed too.

Way better to just get whatever payout you can, and order another one.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think you should use your insurance even if you have theft coverage because you don't want your premiums to increase.

The dealer should have their own business liability insurance and they should be responsible to pay for your loss via their insurance. I assume you have a document like a service order that proves the car was checked-in at the dealer when the incident happened. I also assume they have reported it to the police with all the relevant details and most importantly the fact that the car was stole from the dealer and details about how the thief got access to the key.

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback....Ok, so more details for those interested.

This happened last Thursday July 29th, so it has been a week.

The PCM was indeed disabled and in privacy mode because of the software updates. The story from the dealer (and cops). A couple came in to test drive a car (why would they not have DL's of said people?). They opportunistically picked up my keys which were hang-tag matched to my car sitting in the service breezeway. Security cameras show my car being driven out of the dealership with the couple's car as well. They were able to capture the license plate of the couple's car which turned out to be stolen in NJ (my dealer is in PA).

I had an E-ZPass in the car, and there was a transaction on a toll in PA that afternoon and nothing since. The detective called me and said there was a static camera that captured the car being driven in southern new jersey on Saturday evening July 31st/ Sunday morning August 1st.

We called 1-800-PORSCHE and they cannot track anything since the privacy mode is on in the car. We cannot retroactively install anything remotely either.

The dealer has verbally accepted responsibility and has given me a loaner. I have talked to my insurance company and flagged the car as being stolen.

I would not like to go through my insurance company for the reasons mentioned in this thread.
The forum had helped me with my custom build, as this is/was my first Porsche. I also invested in a ceramic coating etc and am pretty bummed out about all this.

If the dealer doesn't offer me an adequate reimbursement I wonder if I should considering suing them for negligence. I have never sued anyone, nor have the inclination to do, but for this, I would certainly consider it.

The detective is also investigating whether there was an insider from the dealership involved.
Really sorry to hear about this, and we're all bummed with you. You place your trust in a dealer when you bring it in for service, so it's a double whammy that it was stolen while under their watch.

Hopefully you can appreciate some humor in this moment. I can't help but think of some of the other owners in this forum like @SWORDER who had Starguard forcibly installed on their vehicles. Imagine if we had something like that now.

OP
OP

sbs

First Name
SBS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jag i-pace, Tesla model 3
Country flag
Really sorry to hear about this, and we're all bummed with you. You place your trust in a dealer when you bring it in for service, so it's a double whammy that it was stolen while under their watch.

Hopefully you can appreciate some humor in this moment. I can't help but think of some of the other owners in this forum like @SWORDER who had Starguard forcibly installed on their vehicles. Imagine if we had something like that now.
Or even a frigging $29 apple airtag....
Sponsored