Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Pirelli Pzero do between 3,500 and 4000 miles on my sports car.
I get about 10 - 12 000 km out of the Pirellis on my DB9, which also is a heavy car. But the Michelin Super Spots I have now are much better for wear. And quieter
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I get about 10 - 12 000 km out of the Pirellis on my DB9, which also is a heavy car. But the Michelin Super Spots I have now are much better for wear. And quieter
I'm a huge Michelin fan. They have great wear, great grip, and great wet traction.
It cracks me up when people wail about how using "non-N-rated" tires will void my warranty.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
The great thing about having 20' inch wheels is that you can get Michelin NFO(ie Taycan specific)
tyres. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
My problem with non NFO tyres is not warranty, it is that Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres are not currently designed for the Taycan. For example the 911 has specific PS4S tyres that would fit
the Taycan but are designed for a car with, on average across the range, about 40% less weight and 40% less torque. I love Michelin as they last longer while handling as well as anything but millions were spent testing and developing unique tyres for the unique Taycan and I will replace my 21' NFO Pirellis with 21' NFO Pirellis as the overall tyre construction and specifically sidewall construction will be much more suited to a 2.5 tonne, 800Nm torque (at 0mph!) car.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I'm a huge Michelin fan. They have great wear, great grip, and great wet traction.
It cracks me up when people wail about how using "non-N-rated" tires will void my warranty.
The Michelin Formula 1 tyres were the best I ever worked with. Their construction s sufficiently stiff (if heavy) to allow us to use at least one grade softer compound without it overheating. Their compounds also worked well at very high temperatures.

Looking at tyre tests it is shocking how much difference there is between different tyres and you normally get what you pay for.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I love Michelin as they last longer while handling as well as anything but millions were spent testing and developing unique tyres for the unique Taycan and I will replace my 21' NFO Pirellis with 21' NFO Pirellis as the overall tyre construction and specifically sidewall construction will be much more suited to a 2.5 tonne, 800Nm torque (at 0mph!) car.
Yeah, I've heard that arguement. The load rating on the Michelins matches so I'm not worried about it. They drove great on my base and look forward to fitting them on my GTS.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Yeah, I've heard that arguement. The load rating on the Michelins matches so I'm not worried about it. They drove great on my base and look forward to fitting them on my GTS.
The comparison will be interesting.
What’s on the GTS now?
Are you that keen on PS4S that you will take off new NFO Pirelli/Good Year or will you wear out your original fits?
Our friend on this forum who put on Yokohamas and reported huge loss of steering feedback is a worry.
The Pirelli’s are very good and for me not lasting too badly. 2mm off the fronts and nearly 3mm off the rears after 7500 miles. (Started with 7mm so half way ish?)

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The comparison will be interesting.
What’s on the GTS now?
Are you that keen on PS4S that you will take off new NFO Pirelli/Good Year or will you wear out your original fits?
Our friend on this forum who put on Yokohamas and reported huge loss of steering feedback is a worry.
The Pirelli’s are very good and for me not lasting too badly. 2mm off the fronts and nearly 3mm off the rears after 7500 miles. (Started with 7mm so half way ish?)
P-Zeroes on it now. They have great grip, but I hate them. I've already had to patch them twice and replace one due to a puncture near the sidewall.

The rears are around half gone at 3400 miles.

I look forward to replacing them as soon as they wear out, but I'm not sure if my dealer will be able to do it or not since they aren't magical N-rated tires.

Last time I used onsite-tires.com and was very happy so I'll likely do that again.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
It won't outright void your warranty, but Porsche will have to prove it and they probably have the means to fight you to deny warranty work if they wanted to go that far. Why give them an excuse?

It's not just load rating, but an NF tire was tweaked by Porsche in conjunction with the tire manufacturer specifically for the Taycan, to find the best balance between noise, performance, rolling resistance etc. Sure, you can run any tire you want and have zero issues. Is it the optimal tire for this car? Probably not.

With that said, I've had Michelin PS4S tires on all my previous cars and it was a difficult decision to not go with them two weeks ago when I needed new tires on my Mission Es. But maybe not since the only available PS4S in 305/30/21 is a Mercedes spec tire...

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
With that said, I've had Michelin PS4S tires on all my previous cars and it was a difficult decision to not go with them two weeks ago when I needed new tires on my Mission Es. But maybe not since the only available PS4S in 305/30/21 is a Mercedes spec tire...
Porsche Taycan Taycan Tire Expectancy? IMG_0005

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Yes mine are Asymmetric 3. Came on the car at delivery. I will certainly consider the same brand again when it is time to change. And now I understand they have brought out the Asymmetric 5?
I just replaced my P Zeros with the Asymmetric 5. It's been raining lately so I haven't really been able to compare them on dry roads. But so far they seem to be the same as the P Zero, with regard to road noise and wet/hydroplaning resistance.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I replaced the OEM 20" wheels with Pirelli P7 All Season tires for the summer and installed a set of new 21" forged Signature Wheels with Michelin PS4S. Not a fair comparison between an all-season and summer only, but the difference is amazing !

Porsche Taycan Taycan Tire Expectancy? wheel

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I'm on the Michelin website, and there are only two variants of the Pilot Sport 4S that come in 305/30/ZR21. One for the 911, and one for which I believe is a tire made for the Mercedes AMG GT.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
Yep, those are the ones. Looked great, drove great, wore great.

I assume the "MO1A Mercedes" is just Mercedes' version of the N-rating nonsense.
Ah ok. I thought there was a generic version. I can't stomach mounting a tire that was made specifically made for an entirely different car, let alone two cars that have zero similarities. Glad it worked out for you.
Sponsored