kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Hi All. I've been reading on here since pre-ordering a Taycan in the UK (January). Thought I'd post my spec and thoughts and ask what people thought.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSIMQA2

I've gone for a Turbo over a 4S because I'd been told lead time was less for a Turbo and once I'd specified a GTS it got very close to Turbo pricing. I drove the Turbo and it was absolutely brilliant.

Also worth noting this will be used by me as my own car alongside an XC90 T8 recharge we have for a few more years. It will have reasonable amount of family duties to do with it and therefore I've got the ST.
  • I've added the 400v/150kw charging in case I'm on a road trip in Europe and need a 400v option. I'm hoping to go on some road trips.
  • Not specified 22kw as I've 1 phase at home and it appears there are a lot of glitches with this too.
  • Wheels I'm not a fan of many of the Taycan options. I don't mind the Turbo Aero wheels, but these look best imo. The only reservation I have is how much range I will lose? It seems it's relatively minimal?
  • I went for Gentian as I love the colour and looked at Carmine Red, but basically not enough to spend the money on, especially over the wheels
  • Black interior as I know the kids will be mucking in there, no matter how much I tell them not to! Hence the roof and blue accents to add light and colour
Am I missing anything major?

Thanks in advance. :like:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo Sport Turismo Spec IMG_1985
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Hi All. I've been reading on here since pre-ordering a Taycan in the UK (January). Thought I'd post my spec and thoughts and ask what people thought.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSIMQA2

I've gone for a Turbo over a 4S because I'd been told lead time was less for a Turbo and once I'd specified a GTS it got very close to Turbo pricing. I drove the Turbo and it was absolutely brilliant.

Also worth noting this will be used by me as my own car alongside an XC90 T8 recharge we have for a few more years. It will have reasonable amount of family duties to do with it and therefore I've got the ST.
  • I've added the 400v/150kw charging in case I'm on a road trip in Europe and need a 400v option. I'm hoping to go on some road trips.
  • Not specified 22kw as I've 1 phase at home and it appears there are a lot of glitches with this too.
  • Wheels I'm not a fan of many of the Taycan options. I don't mind the Turbo Aero wheels, but these look best imo. The only reservation I have is how much range I will lose? It seems it's relatively minimal?
  • I went for Gentian as I love the colour and looked at Carmine Red, but basically not enough to spend the money on, especially over the wheels
  • Black interior as I know the kids will be mucking in there, no matter how much I tell them not to! Hence the roof and blue accents to add light and colour
Am I missing anything major?

Thanks in advance. :like:

IMG_1985.jpeg
Sensible Spec - and very nice
Not a crazy 30k extras
I dont think you are missing anything.

Turbo vs GTS:
Most of your extras you have to pay for on GTS and Turbo.
You get coated breaks, metallic, auto dimming mirrors and Bose on a Turbo.
But you have to pay for black window trim, sport sound and the wheels you want are £700
more than on a GTS and they look better all black on GTS so its pretty even on extras assuming
you dont want or need the coated brakes.
So you are basically paying the difference in list price,
12k for a slightly quicker car.
Also you get unique body kit and interior with GTS and heated wheel (which of course you may not be bothered about!)
Just throwing it out there for you to consider.
GTS probably take longer to arrive......
Sit in a GTS before you take the plunge.

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the response :like:

I had a good look at the GTS and spec'd one up - which nearly hit the same price point (but not quite). The interior I kinda like some aspects in the GTS (contrast stitching I think it nice), but others not so much: the netting-type fabric I've looked at and am not keen on at all. I actually prefer the body coloured touches on the Turbo as well. However I think you're right and I would like to go sit in one, which I'll arrange to do if I can. I actually prefer the silver sides in the Turbo version of the wheels as opposed to the GTS versions, but I've not seen the GTS ones other than in video's

A big concern (as you say), is arrival time. At this point after I sold my 2019 C63 AMG and I have been having fun in a 'toy car' Up GTI (alongside the family wagon), but I'm not sure I want to compromise on wait time to get back into a Premium car :surprised: I'm not sure I will even get in this one before Christmas.

I'm also not looking for something more 'track focused', which is what the GTS seems 'sold as' aiming for, from reviews - albeit not 1st hand experience. I definitely get that the extra speed on a Turbo is minor, especially in real day to day driving. But yes the arrival date is a major factor. However, it's a big investment and I would like to make my own comparison, so thanks for making me think again :rock:

The coated brakes are not an absolute 'must have', but I do like the idea and the look and I do think will add a bit of resale value when I eventually come to moving it on. But to be clear: this is a car I want to keep and enjoy for a few years, not scalp for a profit

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Thanks for the response :like:

I had a good look at the GTS and spec'd one up - which nearly hit the same price point (but not quite). The interior I kinda like some aspects in the GTS (contrast stitching I think it nice), but others not so much: the netting-type fabric I've looked at and am not keen on at all. I actually prefer the body coloured touches on the Turbo as well. However I think you're right and I would like to go sit in one, which I'll arrange to do if I can. I actually prefer the silver sides in the Turbo version of the wheels as opposed to the GTS versions, but I've not seen the GTS ones other than in video's

A big concern (as you say), is arrival time. At this point after I sold my 2019 C63 AMG and I have been having fun in a 'toy car' Up GTI (alongside the family wagon), but I'm not sure I want to compromise on wait time to get back into a Premium car :surprised: I'm not sure I will even get in this one before Christmas.

I'm also not looking for something more 'track focused', which is what the GTS seems 'sold as' aiming for, from reviews - albeit not 1st hand experience. I definitely get that the extra speed on a Turbo is minor, especially in real day to day driving. But yes the arrival date is a major factor. However, it's a big investment and I would like to make my own comparison, so thanks for making me think again :rock:

The coated brakes are not an absolute 'must have', but I do like the idea and the look and I do think will add a bit of resale value when I eventually come to moving it on. But to be clear: this is a car I want to keep and enjoy for a few years, not scalp for a profit
Sounds like you have made exactly the right decision for you.
I specced a Turbo very similar to you before GTS launch in a dark (free!) metallic
except I went for Mission E wheels.
GTS looks better in light colours with all black trim so its Crayon for me on my GTS order.
For what its worth I think leaving the window trim silver on a dark blue metallic Turbo looks better
matching and picking out the silver edging on your wheels.
Just a thought and saves a massive £245!

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like you have made exactly the right decision for you.
I specced a Turbo very similar to you before GTS launch in a dark (free!) metallic
except I went for Mission E wheels.
GTS looks better in light colours with all black trim so its Crayon for me on my GTS order.
For what its worth I think leaving the window trim silver on a dark blue metallic Turbo looks better
matching and picking out the silver edging on your wheels.
Just a thought and saves a massive £245!
I think so, but I'll see if I can get in a GTS at some point. I've got my Silverstone drive booked as well, so am looking forward to going on that and experiencing the car in a situation I can properly drive it:angel:

I really like the Gentian, but the Crayon is a nice colour :)

I'm now going to have to spend (another), 10 minutes clicking and un-clicking that option to see whether I prefer black or silver. I landed on black last time :CWL:

This was the GTS ST I specified (and yes I am sad enough to keep all of my configs, labelled, in a notes file :CWL: ):

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNN4MXL2

Does anyone know with more certainly: how much range I am sacrificing going with the RS Spyder design wheels over the Taycan Turbo Aero Wheels? I've used the range calculator, but IRL?

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Dont worry about a small reduction in range.
Those black Spyders on a GTS look smokin hot on a GTS showing off those matching red calipers
I have checked on www.gtsspecificationrules.com
You are not allowed those wheels on a GTS!
They are the 'go to' good value pram wheel avoidance upgrade on a 2WD or 4S! As I did.
So many Taycans with those wheels, nice as they are.
Unless you want to try to fly under the radar (in Carmine Red that is VERY difficult)
and you dont want people to know you have a GTS tick the Black Spyder Box!

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
Slightly different perspective here.

I had a Taycan ST GTS order estimated for the summer but managed to get a Taycan Turbo ST which gets to the dealer in May. For me, the speed and other improvements over the GTS (which in the Taycan is really just a 4S wearing a pretty skirt) made this a no brainer.

regarding wheels - I think some of the 21s can look too big / aftermarket. I like the wheels you’ve chosen the best out of the Turbo options but only marginally more than the Aero. The reason I went for the Aeros was primarily because we have a lot of poorly surfaced country lanes, and the number of horror stories on here about blow outs in the 21s is not inconsiderable. Also, the range can be v important despite what people say. We run two EVs at the moment. One is capable of 230-260 miles (an iPace), the other 160-220 (an EQC). I do a 210 mile roundtrip to visit family and the EQC makes it a nightmare, with an extra stop having to find a working public charger, and an extra 30-60 mins added to the journey, and/or having to turn the AC off to conserve range, for no good reason. Therefore 10-20 miles extra could make a real difference to your life.

on black interior - I have always had light leather to make it feel brighter and with two kids never had anything that could not be cleaned off.

Good luck!

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Slightly different perspective here.

I had a Taycan ST GTS order estimated for the summer but managed to get a Taycan Turbo ST which gets to the dealer in May. For me, the speed and other improvements over the GTS (which in the Taycan is really just a 4S wearing a pretty skirt) made this a no brainer.

regarding wheels - I think some of the 21s can look too big / aftermarket. I like the wheels you’ve chosen the best out of the Turbo options but only marginally more than the Aero. The reason I went for the Aeros was primarily because we have a lot of poorly surfaced country lanes, and the number of horror stories on here about blow outs in the 21s is not inconsiderable. Also, the range can be v important despite what people say. We run two EVs at the moment. One is capable of 230-260 miles (an iPace), the other 160-220 (an EQC). I do a 210 mile roundtrip to visit family and the EQC makes it a nightmare, with an extra stop having to find a working public charger, and an extra 30-60 mins added to the journey, and/or having to turn the AC off to conserve range, for no good reason. Therefore 10-20 miles extra could make a real difference to your life.

on black interior - I have always had light leather to make it feel brighter and with two kids never had anything that could not be cleaned off.

Good luck!
Thanks and this was kinda my thoughts on the Turbo ST vs GTS. And very similar on the wheels. The non-aero wheels, do (imo), look better. But are they really that much better than the Aero and therefore worth the range sacrifice. Blow-outs also a nasty side-effect. I've still not locked this in (sadly), so I've time to think about it for sure. I kinda feel like I could spend that money on Carmine Red and Aero wheels, albeit I do get what @Ross has said about them being quite prevalent on Taycan's due to them being the best upgrade for Taycan's and 4S's. Gentian with Turbo wheels might be a good stealth spec (and I've de-badged all of my specs anyway).

I quite like the attached colour/wheels combo too

Porsche Taycan Taycan Turbo Sport Turismo Spec Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 13.57.43

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Thanks and this was kinda my thoughts on the Turbo ST vs GTS. And very similar on the wheels. The non-aero wheels, do (imo), look better. But are they really that much better than the Aero and therefore worth the range sacrifice. Blow-outs also a nasty side-effect. I've still not locked this in (sadly), so I've time to think about it for sure. I kinda feel like I could spend that money on Carmine Red and Aero wheels, albeit I do get what @Ross has said about them being quite prevalent on Taycan's due to them being the best upgrade for Taycan's and 4S's. Gentian with Turbo wheels might be a good stealth spec (and I've de-badged all of my specs anyway).

I quite like the attached colour/wheels combo too

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 13.57.43.png
I like that colour combo too! Like my 4S in the photo!
Still think Carmine Red needs the Black Spyders
Just looked around my Porsche dealer which I pass every day.
There were 5 Gentian Blue Taycans knocking about, more than any other colour.
But the most important thing is if you like Gentian and those wheels then
go for it, its a great combo and its still hardly a common car!

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think they look great in a lighter colour too. I'm struggling between liking the larger wheels but really not wanting to be precious about them if the roads aren't amazing (which they aren't, let's face it).

Why is it you can spend so long configuring the car? 😥:CWL:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNDEUVM8

Last edited:

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
My dealer didn't seem to think other Taycan models would be any quicker arriving. I wonder if they all have different methods of getting allocations....

I've also debated the Turbo route, but the price diff to a GTS was over 10k.

Have you considered:

- adaptive cruise control (I find it useful on long drives)
- lane change assist (you'll be used to this on the Volvo. I miss it when it's not there)
- comfort access (another Volvo thing you may miss)
- 4+1 seating (if you have kids, they will have a friend :))
- heated wheel and seats front and rear (again, on "premium" cars, I miss these)
- 4 zone climate (mine will be used a lot with the kids in the back...never had an issue without it in our XC90... So not essential. But our kids sat in one with the screen for heating and have stated a preference :D)

On the wheels front, you could get smaller wheels, see how you go then get some aftermarket Vossens (there are pics of really nice ones on here) or similar and use the smaller ones for winters??

Colour is subjective. I love Gentian... Cherry too. And Carmine...

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
PS also subjective, but am not a fan of coloured handles inside. To add interest inside, I'd look at light seat belts, maybe slate grey leather, stitching/two tone (but that gets pricey).

OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer didn't seem to think other Taycan models would be any quicker arriving. I wonder if they all have different methods of getting allocations....

I've also debated the Turbo route, but the price diff to a GTS was over 10k.

Have you considered:

- adaptive cruise control (I find it useful on long drives)
- lane change assist (you'll be used to this on the Volvo. I miss it when it's not there)
- comfort access (another Volvo thing you may miss)
- 4+1 seating (if you have kids, they will have a friend :))
- heated wheel and seats front and rear (again, on "premium" cars, I miss these)
- 4 zone climate (mine will be used a lot with the kids in the back...never had an issue without it in our XC90... So not essential. But our kids sat in one with the screen for heating and have stated a preference :D)

On the wheels front, you could get smaller wheels, see how you go then get some aftermarket Vossens (there are pics of really nice ones on here) or similar and use the smaller ones for winters??

Colour is subjective. I love Gentian... Cherry too. And Carmine...
I took the arrival date with a pinch of salt, but he did seem fairly certain, weirdly. Something about it being the only allocated ST they had.

• I don't use ACC as I find it highly irritating, although the Turbo has some form of cruise with adaptive speed (not the full shebang)
  • The lane change assist isn't bad (the mirror indicators being the most useful, might consider that thanks.
  • Comfort access just annoys me on the Volvo, frankly. Too many false positives then annoyingly too many times it won't open when you want it to
  • No other kids in the back of this car, thanks :angel:
  • Heated wheel I thought I had added, but I'd missed it I realised and have added it
  • The Turbo has front and rear seat heating as standard
  • We have 4 zone climate in the Volvo and it just ends up being more annoying, plus I'd be concerned about the screen getting kicked (kids *sigh*)
I think you're right on the wheels, although I've said I won't buy an extra set for this car: the last 2 I've had a spare winter set of wheels and my wife is fed up of them taking up space in the garage - not that it really affects her! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
kempez

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PS also subjective, but am not a fan of coloured handles inside. To add interest inside, I'd look at light seat belts, maybe slate grey leather, stitching/two tone (but that gets pricey).
Ah now that I am a fan of, horses for courses! I looked at lighter seat belts, but on a Gentian car the blue isn't very blue. On a silver car the grey doesn't give any contrast really and crayon or white I didn't want to specify as it would just get very grubby.

AlexR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (on order), BMW X5, Golf GTE
Country flag
Personal taste, but I prefer the Turbo "body kit" versus the GTS. It is specific to the Turbo and makes it that little bit special. Especially the coloured part of the rear splitter.
Sponsored