SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I like the ad. Obviously, Porsche feels it is needed to move the metal.

As great a car as it is, the Taycan has simply become too expensive relative to its competition. The depreciation playing out on the used market reflects the same issue.
Depreciation is brutal. I just saw a local post for a 2022 GTS with 1,625 miles selling for almost 30% off retail. I am enjoying mine too much to think about any of this and it is worth more to me in smiles per mile than I paid for it, that is what matters to me.

https://www.coasttocoastimports.com...ishers-in-id-54845345?utm_source=MSStartAutos
Sponsored

OutrightPace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (sold), Lucid Air, MS, M3, '95 NSX
Country flag
Since this thread opened, I have seen at least three different Porsche ads on YouTube, each featuring only the Taycan (though not always mentioning it by name). Porsche is clearly trying a new marketing strategy for this car, and maybe for the company as a whole.

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
I’m surprised that they don’t seem to offer any substantive incentives and the money factor that Porsche FS uses on the leases is among the highest. Rather than spending millions on an ad like this wouldn’t they be better served offering more appealing lease terms?

Pennyroyal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, 2022 Mercedes GLC
Country flag
Taycan ads are also running on NBA. There is a huge audience and I think the ad buy enhances the brand. Porsche is promoting EVs, and with new models scheduled to be released soon it is valuable to create an aura around the concept. Porche doesn't need to convince current owners (I'm on my second) but to bring new buyers into the brand. The cost of the advertising doesn't add to the cost of your car, the marketing expense is to create relevance. EVs have been thoroughly trashed and unfortunately they have become a political talking point. Excellent engineering doesn't have a political bias. It is good news that availability is increasing and now the cars need more positive exposure.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
+1 to this @Pennyroyal. I did see the commercial again yesterday during prime NBA games on Christmas Day.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
Depreciation is brutal. I just saw a local post for a 2022 GTS with 1,625 miles selling for almost 30% off retail. I am enjoying mine too much to think about any of this and it is worth more to me in smiles per mile than I paid for it, that is what matters to me.

https://www.coasttocoastimports.com...ishers-in-id-54845345?utm_source=MSStartAutos
I am going to start with the disclaimer that this is NOT a carefully calculated assessment, but some (I think) points to ponder:
1. many luxury cars depricated at the rate of 30% (or nearly) in their first year
2. for electric cars, the fact that there are tax credits only exacerbates point #1. Meaning: if you paid $100K for an EV, received a $7500 tax credit and and likely a 5-10% discount off of MSRP, your net cost for the $100K MSRP car was around $80-85,000. If you sold it at 30% off the MSRP 12-18 months later, that was really only a 15-20% hit for 12-18 months of ownership.
3. Elon constantly dropping the prices of new Teslas is hurting the resale on EV's across the board. I had a P100D that had MSRP of $155K- in 2016!----now new Plaids are slightly more than half that amount.
4. As many have pointed out, one other reason why high end cars depreciate more rapdly than cars at other price points is that those that can afford to spend $150-200K on a car are not as likely to be interested in buy used to save $10-20K. Therefore, resale values drop to the point at which it is motivational to buy used.....and just that inflection point results in higher than typical depreciation

My two cents.....

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E63
Country flag
Good commercial they definitely need to move inventory.m as it’s piling up at dealerships.
A ton of great deals on used Taycan’s are out there. Just make offers. Many private sellers are delusional in this market.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Many private sellers are delusional in this market.
"But I spent hoursdays in the configurator agonizing over options! And I'll have you know I had to wait n! months to receive my car."

Having said that:
- Panorama sellers are always delusional
- I doubt the base/CT models lost that much - there are just not that many around
- Porsche was delusional charging ~$50k+ for ~$10k in hardware on the higher end models, and the market is correcting it