First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a TeslaTap and when I try to use it, the Taycan says, "Error: Charging currently not possible." Has anyone encountered this and resolved it?

I am trying to use a Tesla Mobile charger plugged into a 240V 30A (NEMA 14-30) outlet. My Tesla charges fine from this outlet with this Tesla mobile charger, and the Taycan charges fine from this outlet with the Porsche charger.

I am trying to use the "TeslaTap 50 amp - high power" unit. I emailed the company for tech support 11 days ago and haven't heard back. Their website "conveniently" breaks when you go to the "Contact Us" page.

I followed the three directions on the Teslatap itself (Confirm green light on Tesla charger; Secure teslatap to tesla plug, which appears to just be seating it firmly; wait 30 seconds; go for it).

Any thoughts of helps greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ed

Porsche Taycan Teslatap doesn't work: "Error: Charging currently not possible" Teslatap-Fail
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sometimes you have to “seat” the TeslaTap very firmly and deeply - mine always work great - might just be a bad unit.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
My TeslaTap works fine. Make sure you connect the TeslaTap to the Tesla charger firmly, then wait at least 30 seconds for the J1772 handshaking to take place before plugging in to the Taycan.

Likewise, when finished, unplug the from the Taycan first before disconnecting the Tesla charger.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Make sure you connect the TeslaTap to the Tesla charger firmly, then wait at least 30 seconds for the J1772 handshaking to take place before plugging in to the Taycan.
I never wait and charging starts immediately at public Tesla chargers. Perhaps the wait is only required on certain types of Tesla chargers? There's no mention of a handshake wait on the website for the TeslaTap: http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=100.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I never wait and charging starts immediately at public Tesla chargers. Perhaps the wait is only required on certain types of Tesla chargers? There's no mention of a handshake wait on the website for the TeslaTap: http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=100.
Here are the instructions that come with the TeslaTap. As you'll see, the first sentence states "Make sure that you plug the the Tesla Charge connector into the socket at least 30 seconds before you plug the J1772 handle into your car." The instructions emphasize 30 seconds in red.

Porsche Taycan Teslatap doesn't work: "Error: Charging currently not possible" TeslaTap Instructions

OP
OP
FENSTERE

FENSTERE

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update: I purchased a Lectron adapter and that one works.

As noted in the original post, I was following the teslatap directions correctly. Perhaps mine was defective.
Sponsored