The perfect rims for Turbo?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I'm ready to place an order for a Turbo MY25, but I'm still quite undecided on the wheels and rims. On one hand, I'm drawn to the new Mission E wheels, which have a lower impact on the range, but I've heard that the 21-inch ones are less comfortable on the road and, more importantly... tend to scrape against curbs too easily. I also have a very narrow parking space, so I'm really concerned about damaging them more than necessary.

Alternatively, there's the option of the 20-inch wheels, but I'm struggling to visualize how the Turbonite rims will look. Have any of you seen any photos? I've never seen this color before. It seems to have a slightly bronze hue... whereas I'm planning to get the vehicle in steel gray or dolomite. I'm worried that Turbonite might not go well with those colors. Am I mistaken?

Porsche Taycan The perfect rims for Turbo? IMG_3816

Do you have any advice? I've heard about a plastic protective cable between the rims and the tire. Have any of you seen or tried it before?
Sponsored

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I'm having similar deliberations. Currently I have 20" on my CT4S which I find excellent but I'm leaning towards the new 21" Aero wheels.

Range is important for me and the new 21" Aero tyres are the same width as the 20", 245 front 285 rear, vs 265 front and 305 rear on the mission E 21" (width has the biggest impact on range).

Other considerations for me are quietness and comfort. Quietness should generally follow width per above. In terms of comfort the new 21" Aero wheels and tyres have a tyre sidewall height between the current 20" and 21" mission E so they should be a nice compromise.

21" wheels certainly looks better on such a big car.

In terms of turbonite colour who knows, dealers don't have samples yet. It appears to be a darksilver with a slight gold hue, suspect it will be more brown/gold looking under strong sunlight. I think it will work best with darker colours, I'm going for Volcano grey.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
The width of the wheel is part of what I really like about the 21’s. I think it’s good that Porsche offers a 21” in a thinner variety for those that want the look but don’t need the extra adhesion/performance that the wider wheel offers though.

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I'm ready to place an order for a Turbo MY25, but I'm still quite undecided on the wheels and rims. On one hand, I'm drawn to the new Mission E wheels, which have a lower impact on the range, but I've heard that the 21-inch ones are less comfortable on the road and, more importantly... tend to scrape against curbs too easily. I also have a very narrow parking space, so I'm really concerned about damaging them more than necessary.

Alternatively, there's the option of the 20-inch wheels, but I'm struggling to visualize how the Turbonite rims will look. Have any of you seen any photos? I've never seen this color before. It seems to have a slightly bronze hue... whereas I'm planning to get the vehicle in steel gray or dolomite. I'm worried that Turbonite might not go well with those colors. Am I mistaken?

IMG_3816.jpeg

Do you have any advice? I've heard about a plastic protective cable between the rims and the tire. Have any of you seen or tried it before?

deanbush

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Hello everyone,

IMG_3816.jpeg

I got the RS Spyder Design, but if I find out that they have an adverse effect on efficiency, I will go for the Taycan Aero 20s. That's a huge price difference!

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
Current Gen painted mission E’s are a must for me they really make the car. Not sure yet on the .2 but I have a feeling it will be the same for me

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the ‘25 Turbo S they have here at SXSW has the 20” rims you have highlighted. I’ll be frank and say I don’t love them. I can try to take a picture of them on Monday if helpful.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm ready to place an order for a Turbo MY25, but I'm still quite undecided on the wheels and rims.
I see you are in Texas, but for anyone who suffers through seasons, it may be more desirable to order their Taycan with wheels they intend to use in winter, then purchase custom wheels for summer. That's what I did here in Virginia, where the temperatures dip below the 44 degrees Fahrenheit lower limit of summer tires about five months of the year.

Winter wheels:
Porsche Taycan The perfect rims for Turbo? 1710035666016
Summer wheels:
Porsche Taycan The perfect rims for Turbo? 1710035274724

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I don’t love the new turbonite wheels. I have matte black wheels on my M5 and I’ve grown to dislike the “black hole” effect at each wheel well.

Actually, I don‘t really like any of the Turbo wheels that much, but the Turbo Aero 20” is my front runner. I like the shiny accents against the dark. I like the openness of the Spyder wheels but not their spoke pattern. I like new Mission-E even less than the original.

OP
OP
BenJL

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think the ‘25 Turbo S they have here at SXSW has the 20” rims you have highlighted. I’ll be frank and say I don’t love them. I can try to take a picture of them on Monday if helpful.
thank you !
I would love to see it!

I see you are in Texas
I live in Paris, not Texas 😅 I don’t know where I can change that.

Actually, I don‘t really like any of the Turbo wheels that much, but the Turbo Aero 20” is my front runner. I like the shiny accents against the dark
I have the same opinion at this moment.
but I’ve seen one day you can change the colour of the rims to take the “original” colour and not the turbonite colour. Have you eard that?

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
I have the same opinion at this moment.
but I’ve seen one day you can change the colour of the rims to take the “original” colour and not the turbonite colour. Have you eard that?
In my experience with the configurator, the rim color options only apply to the Mission-E rims. The 21” Spyders can be gloss black or “original” with the polished metal spokes, but no other option. No color options for the 20” rims or the 21” aero rims.

parkslopedope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 e-tron GT prestige, 08 911 Carerra S
Country flag
Mission E’s would be my vote, it really makes or breaks the look of the Taycan in my opinion.
Understood that others have different priorities or taste and have chosen other options.