Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
Congratulations,, looks great. Looking forward to the trip reports and your thought in comparison to the 4s. Many miles (kms for us righteous metric people) safe motoring.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Carbon package, very nice!
Standard with Turbo S. With this car I tried to go as "stock" as possible with relatively low number of options. With the Turbo S trim this is relatively easy to do as it comes with a lot anyways.

Main additional options were:
  • 22kW AC charger (an option that still makes sense in rural Ireland)
  • 150 kW DC converter
  • Night Vision Assist (I live in an area with a lot of deer on the roads)
  • PDCC (mostly cause I've never had a Porsche without it and don't know that that would be like)
  • Comfort items: ACC, Seat Ventilation, Comfort Access, Steering Wheel Heating (this is a road trip car)
  • Toys: Remote ParkAssist (trying this out today)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
On this car I only ordered ACC hardware and didn't factory buy InnoDrive*.

I'm actually not planning on re-buying InnoDrive but I miss Active Lane Keep Assist. How long does it take FoD's to appear in the connect store for a new car?

Currently, only see the useless 7GB month wifi roaming option.

===============================
* Here in Ireland there is a slight tax advantage of doing this: Car's have both a Sales Tax (23%) and a Registration Tax (7% to 41% depending). Buying InnoDrive as a FoD only attracts sales tax after you've registered the car.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I'm loving my 4S and its mostly been trouble free for me. Having come from a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, I think I am missing a little bit of the punch in the 4S - for example, when overtaking on a twisty Irish mountain road.

My 4S is fairly heavily optioned and I'm trying to figure out what stuff I could potentially drop to try and keep cost down without much compromises.

The two big questions I have are:

a] If I never launch control, is it correct to say that the Turbo and the Turbo S performance is identical in normal driving? Is picking the Turbo S a "bit silly"? Note: I kinda love the yellow carbon ceramic brakes (from my Panamera) - so if I went with Turbo, I'd prob option them. Is the carbon fibre trim of the Turbo S worth it?

b] My 4S has PTV+, RAS and PDCC. I'm thinking of dropping the PDCC option (as its not standard even on the Turbo S). I had all three on my Panamera so optioned them on my 4S. I never have or will track the car. However, I do sometimes drive on twisty mountain roads with some "urgency". Will I notice it missing? Will the car "lean" in bends without it?

Other options on my 4S I'm thinking of dropping:

a] Dropping Innodrive for regular ACC.
b] Night vision camera – its not getting that much use. I like having it, I don't need it.
c] I'm in two minds with my Burmeister – it sounds great in my 4S – I optioned it because I didn't like the Bose in my Panamera, but I'm hearing better things about the Bose in the Taycan. Coupled with Apple Lossless source, I'm going to test things out before I option Burmeister again. Music/stereo is important to me in my car.
d] I might drop Comfort Access. I don't value it that much and sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) it doesn't work and I have to use the key anyways.
e] Auto Park Assist/3D parking – I don't use it and its relatively expensive – think regular surround camera options is enough.

Things I'll keep on any new configuration:

a] All the charging options - 22kW AC & 150 kW DC chargers – they are highly relevant in Ireland – unlike UK/mainland Europe.
b] Passenger screen - my co-driver uses it a lot to change music and tune our navigation routes on long-haul trips.
c] Seat ventilation.
d] Lane change assist.

One thing I find is that when I'm thinking about configuration at home, I lean towards all the tech – but when I'm in the car – a lot of that just goes away and I value the "Porsche stuff". I use the car both for long-haul (5,000 km+ cross Europe trips from Ireland) and day/weekend trips up mountain passes. I commute by public transport when not working from home – so no daily commute requirements for the car.

I'd be interested in any feedback on any of the above – especially from folks who've made the jump. My head is saying Turbo with a bunch of options, my heart is saying Turbo S!
Well... it seems many are coming to the conclusion that unless money is no object stick with the 4S. The performance improvements with Turbo are only marginal and how often do you really need Turbo S 3 seconds to 60 rather than 4 seconds on a 4S. There's something on YouTube about NOT buying a Turbo. All the kit is the same and everything is option available.
Your list is personal...
a. I dislike both
b. Don't drive at night much to warrant this
c. Happy with my Bose
d. Love Comfort Access.
e. Auto Park - wish I had it with a 5m long car.. wife's S3 has and I love it..

New Config

a. Good idea
b. pointless IMHO
c. I have it on my Targa, Great with roof down, seems pointless in a Saloon/Estate
d. Lane Change Assist - good safety feature..

Other thoughts...

I'd be going 18 Way sports seats
Pan Roof
21 inch wheels definitely, I've tried 19/20/21 and the 21 are far better.
Bose
and a 4S - Cross Turismo...

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Well... it seems many are coming to the conclusion that unless money is no object stick with the 4S. The performance improvements with Turbo are only marginal and how often do you really need Turbo S 3 seconds to 60 rather than 4 seconds on a 4S. There's something on YouTube about NOT buying a Turbo. All the kit is the same and everything is option available.
Your list is personal...
a. I dislike both
b. Don't drive at night much to warrant this
c. Happy with my Bose
d. Love Comfort Access.
e. Auto Park - wish I had it with a 5m long car.. wife's S3 has and I love it..

New Config

a. Good idea
b. pointless IMHO
c. I have it on my Targa, Great with roof down, seems pointless in a Saloon/Estate
d. Lane Change Assist - good safety feature..

Other thoughts...

I'd be going 18 Way sports seats
Pan Roof
21 inch wheels definitely, I've tried 19/20/21 and the 21 are far better.
Bose
and a 4S - Cross Turismo...
I’m afraid you have replied to an 18 month old post here ;)

All decisions been discussed and made and car recently delivered.

As you write, these decisions are personal, for example I have had Auto Park in my cars for the last 10 years and never used it so was pleased to be able to save otherwise wasted money when speccing my car.
I dislike glass roofs, hate even, and the Taycan sculpted metal roof also looks about 100x better. IMHO of course.

!8-way seats are OK for short sporty blasts but not very good on long road trips - the clue is in the name - and @tigerbalm uses his car for long road trips.

Bose is considered Low-Fi in the Hi-Fi community so not worth the extra on a 4S IMO.
I don’t often go anywhere where I can drive near the grip limit of my car so the increase in grip of 21” wheels over 20” is academic for me. I chose the 21” wheels because I like the styling.
The ride on 20” winter tyres is better though.

Last edited:

dutchcourage

First Name
Duco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
On this car I only ordered ACC hardware and didn't factory buy InnoDrive*.

I'm actually not planning on re-buying InnoDrive but I miss Active Lane Keep Assist. How long does it take FoD's to appear in the connect store for a new car?

Currently, only see the useless 7GB month wifi roaming option.

===============================
* Here in Ireland there is a slight tax advantage of doing this: Car's have both a Sales Tax (23%) and a Registration Tax (7% to 41% depending). Buying InnoDrive as a FoD only attracts sales tax after you've registered the car.
I had to wait one week before all FoD options showed up

Norfolkporsche

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Turbo S
Country flag
So the Turbo S discussed way back in this thread has made it to Ireland. Right on the estimated date when I placed the order in April 2022, which I was impressed with considering all the supply chain challenges in the meantime.

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S {filename}

The wheels came with the Pirelli tyre option – so I'll be on that brand for both my summer and winter tyres.

As we'll be heading to the arctic in this car shortly after collection – we'll be picking it up wearing its winter shoes.

Confirmed that the car has all of its specified parts and configuration, including the elusive Bose stereo option.

Interestingly, before its had its PDI, this right-hand drive car comes configured in UK units rather then the more usual metric kilometres that Ireland uses.

Due to registration patterns in Ireland, I won't be collecting it until first week in new year.
Lovely looking car. How are you finding the performance differential between the 4S and Turbo S?

Brian IRL

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW E30 Cabriolet, VW ID4
Country flag
Happy motoring, beautiful looking car! A serious amount of Taycan being sold in Ireland now given how small a country we are, I’ve seen more 231 reg Taycan than any other model of car

• Wow
Reactions: B61
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Happy motoring, beautiful looking car! A serious amount of Taycan being sold in Ireland now given how small a country we are, I’ve seen more 231 reg Taycan than any other model of car
Agreed. There were three car's being collected while I was there: 2 Taycan's and a Cayenne. Though Ireland's Registration Number system does make January and July artificially busy.

Here are the sales figures for Taycan in Ireland:

2020: 27
2021: 80
2022: 109
Total: 216

Unbelievable number considering 23 x 911's were sold in the same timeframe (none in 2020!).

Source: https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

Porsche Taycan Thinking of upgrading the 4S to a Turbo or Turbo S Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 18.47.51

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
How do you feel it drives compared to the 4S? I feel the Turbo drives better than the 4S but wondered if you had the same impression. I am sure you will post a review. Let’s just hope we don’t get any trolls jumping on this comment!
Where are you taking it next month?

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
I’m afraid you have replied to an 18 month old post here ;)

All decisions been discussed and made and car recently delivered.

As you write, these decisions are personal, for example I have had Auto Park in my cars for the last 10 years and never used it so was pleased to be able to save otherwise wasted money when speccing my car.
I dislike glass roofs, hate even, and the Taycan sculpted metal roof also looks about 100x better. IMHO of course.

!8-way seats are OK for short sporty blasts but not very good on long road trips - the clue is in the name - and @tigerbalm uses his car for long road trips.

Bose is considered Low-Fi in the Hi-Fi community so not worth the extra on a 4S IMO.
I don’t often go anywhere where I can drive near the grip limit of my car so the increase in grip of 21” wheels over 20” is academic for me. I chose the 21” wheels because I like the styling.
The ride on 20” winter tyres is better though.
Whoops!
How do you feel it drives compared to the 4S? I feel the Turbo drives better than the 4S but wondered if you had the same impression. I am sure you will post a review. Let’s just hope we don’t get any trolls jumping on this comment!
Where are you taking it next month?
in my experience the biggest difference with handling is wheel size .
Sponsored