Torn between 2 interiors... Help me decide!

Fitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayman 981 GT4
Country flag
Only thing the Olea brings (except slightly nicer leather) is that the door cards are in black and the seats have that two tone look. Funny the red standard interior does this but the beige doesnt. I didnt get the wood myself that just a stock photo but it is

I know racetex is a personal preference but soo much of it IMHO is nasty, and it reeks of whatever chemicals they use. Have had a few racetex steering wheels in my time and every one was grotty after a short while. My dealer said he prices in having to get a new steering wheel on any car he takes in on trade if its racetex cause nobody want that. Bit of racetex on the seats no problem nice and grippy but all over the center console and dash is just too much for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wow, thanks for all the replies in such a short time everyone!

It's awesome to see the range of opinions here! It looks like the Race-Tex is in the lead amongst you all.

Seeing the comments about the lint on the Race-Tex is interesting. I wonder what it really is, but I guess I have to defer to those that actually own it!

Gonna reply now separately!

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I’ve written on many threads, I would definitely go for the Racetec interior. With your exterior colour, I’d be tempted to go for the GTS interior package in Crayon which would give you the contrasting stitching and belts to ‘match’ the exterior. This also comes with the carbon interior package.

if you didn’t want the full stitching etc, then I think lighter (Crayon) belts would be better then Bordeaux ones, as these are a very different red than the brake callipers. Alternatively, the GTS interior pack in Carmine red would brighten up your interior and be a better match for the brake callipers.

if you’re currently paying se-stately for coloured belts, coloured sports chrono and carbon trim,it won’t be much more for the GTS interior package, I don’t think?

With the GTS interior package in crayon I’d be tempted to have the brake callipers painted black,

While your second option looks nice, it doesn’t look ‘GTS’ to me.
Aren’t you already paying extra for the wheel with carbon trim, red belts and red sports chrono dial? You’d save on those 3 options?
It would cost an additional £2230.
I really like the Crayon / Carmine Red GTS race-tex package, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra over the standard GTS race-tex + belts & chrono (you can't spec a carbon fibre wheel with standard race-tex).

In Canada, it would cost an additional $4850 Canadian Dollars (around 3100 £GBP) to go with the GTS Race-Tex interior that has the stitching and carbon fibre trims.

It's a bit much... so I'll have to think on it for sure!

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I like racetex a lot, I have had alcantara interiors in the past and loved them.
The GTS interior is only available in black though, which I am bored by and will have a shorter range due to the A/C needing to work harder (the A/C is the only thing which takes substantial power other than the motors).
None of the leather free colour options appealed either so in the end once I had decided against its interior the GTS wasn't worth the extra money for me.

It is still personal, if you don't mind the black I really like the GTS interior. I personally prefer your alternative though.
Thanks for your reply!

I'm curious about the A/C comment. Are you saying that the the A/C will have to work harder because of the black interior (which is all you get with Race-Tex) and how it will absorb more heat?

The GTS w/Premium Package does include the thermally insulated windows so I wonder if that will help.

I wonder how much harder though. I don't do long drives though so I am probably not worried about range.

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sat in a GTS with full Racetex at the weekend, was horrible and smelled funny. (brand new car). Far too much racetex, will catch every bit of lint and hair and generally felt like a snooker table. Avoid avoid avoid.

Otherwise light exterior dark interior, the Neodyme trim is lovely and really lifts the interior. I am biased but the beige Olea interior is the nicest.

1656575550815.png
Was there a lot of lint in the car you sat in?

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Neodym does not belong in a GTS in my personal opinion.

I have a Neptune Blue GTS with the Crayon Race Tex Interior. Even though I did not spec the vehicle, I'm actually very happy with the interior and exterior and have subsequently cancelled my order for a Crayon GTS with a Crayon/Black interior as per below.

1656578351531.png
1656578364495.png

I was entirely convinced I would not like the Race Tex interior, however I really do now (hence the cancellation of the Crayon car). ace Tex is surprisingly easy to maintain and does not pick up every bit of lindt that you think it would. It actually seems quite forgiving and probably reduces the build up of dust on the screens, dashboard top etc, by holding on to it.

From the images I thought the use of the material on the centre console was a step too far, however in person it is very pleasing to look at and touch. It really does feel sporty and the crayon clock, seatbelts and stitching are nice touches to break it all up, as are the carbon fibre inserts which my car has.

Not that it matters, but everyone who's sat in the car has commented how nice the Race Tex looks and feels and no one has been offended by it lol.
Do you have any photos of your race tex interior? I would love to see it!

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You did what I specced originally - Crayon leather interior. It is a nice leather and having seen it in person against the Olea (not worth the money), remained even more convinced.

However, I also felt leather isn't very "sporty" and others on the forum questioned why I would de-GTS a GTS.

So going with the GTS interior.

Go with Option 1, though if you can stretch the Crayon GTS interior would look incredible.

If you really are set on leather, please do not spec the tacky neodyme accents. The dark silver is equally bad. It is satin spray painted plastic.

The standard (plastic) matt trim is much better - because it's matt so doesn't look tacky - and allows your lighter colour leather to contrast against it.

A light leather + neodyme or silver accent package + seatbelt colour and any other colour in the cabin. It's just too much and looks a mess.
Did you get your car already?
Did you do the standard race tex or the upgraded one?

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My vote would be for option 1, but with crayon elements, so it matches the external colour.

Option 2 looks a bit like a blinged up Tesla. I think contrasting the interior and exterior colours works best. Light on light doesn't work for me, and the Neodyme looks a bit tacky in this context (although works great with dark colours, or the red).
Blinged up Tesla. Ouch!

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Aren’t you already paying extra for the wheel with carbon trim, red belts and red sports chrono dial? You’d save on those 3 options?
The wheel with the carbon trim is sadly unavailable on the standard Racetex. I do want it though. On leather, it carries a surcharge of $750.

The carbon door trims which I didnt spec carry a cost of $1150.

The red belts are $750.
The red chrono face is $680.

So technically, all I'm paying extra is $1430 on the standard racetex whereas the upgraded one is $6080.

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you go base GTS Race Tex trim, you can't spec any carbon trim or carbon steering wheel, the configurator won't allow it. The only thing you can spec with the base GTS Race Tex trim is the seatbelt colour, and the chrono dial colour.
Exactly.

Why, oh why!!??

These scoundrels know how to get ya!

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Sat in a GTS with full Racetex at the weekend, was horrible and smelled funny. (brand new car). Far too much racetex, will catch every bit of lint and hair and generally felt like a snooker table. Avoid avoid avoid.

Otherwise light exterior dark interior, the Neodyme trim is lovely and really lifts the interior. I am biased but the beige Olea interior is the nicest.

1656575550815.png
This is my exact interior: biege Olea with Neodyme and wood. Best combo out there IMHO.

OP
OP
tayCanadian

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is my exact interior: biege Olea with Neodyme and wood. Best combo out there IMHO.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

jld1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S23
Country flag
The chalk interior with the neodyme looks so good. Very easy decision IMO!
Sponsored