Transport system mount/demount ease

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am considering buying the roof transport system + bike rack add on for a 4S saloon.

How easy is it to mount and demount the system, ie is it viable to remove regularly? I will pretty much only use it for day cycle trips and don’t really want it on the car permanently so any advice is helpful.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am considering buying the roof transport system + bike rack add on for a 4S saloon.

How easy is it to mount and demount the system, ie is it viable to remove regularly? I will pretty much only use it for day cycle trips and don’t really want it on the car permanently so any advice is helpful.
I have it on the sedan (not CT/ST) and it’s pretty easy (I do it alone with no help, but safer with an extra hand). Just 4 screws holding down the two bars. The bike racks just slide and snap in.

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I recently bought the Thule Wingbar system for Taycan ST. It’s a bit of a faff to fit because of the design, which also means that it is super low profile and snug when fitted which greatly reduces wind noise.

I had always assumed that Thule made the Porsche branded roofbars across the range, having had them on Macan and Cayenne previously. The quality, fit and finish is just so similar.

However, the Thule bars for the `Taycan ST are just so different it makes me wonder…

I’m not going back though, the Thule bars are excellent…

now, if anyone wants genuine Porsche roofbars for Macan or Cayenne let me know!!

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag

I can also confirm it is easy to fit and very secure. You need the Pan Roof but you probably know this.
I went for Porsche original fit so it is secure and doesn’t damage the car.
What makes it so easy is the roof being so low.
I don’t think it is Thule. I had Mercedes official roof bars with Thule stamps all over the inside. Nothing on the Porsche bars.
I Chuck a Halfords roof box on which fits well and was half the price of Thule and a quarter the price of Porsche.
I took the Halfords sticker off and put on Porsche stickers so no one will ever know.
Porsche Taycan Transport system mount/demount ease IMG_3388
know.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag

YMMV, but IME it's not an activity I'd want to repeat frequently. This is my detailed post on installing the cross bars (tl;dr: requires careful alignment, easier with a helper, one of the towers took some convincing to lock). Mine are permanently on - every now and then I take off the roofbox, but it's being used frequently enough that I won't bother with crossbars un/reinstallation.

OP
OP

mcr21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
YMMV, but IME it's not an activity I'd want to repeat frequently. This is my detailed post on installing the cross bars (tl;dr: requires careful alignment, easier with a helper, one of the towers took some convincing to lock). Mine are permanently on - every now and then I take off the roofbox, but it's being used frequently enough that I won't bother with crossbars un/reinstallation.
thanks, this is v helpful feedback and in line with the install tutorials I’ve seen online.
Sponsored