shayman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 4S Cross Tourismo (Est. June)
Country flag
What are people's experiences with doing this kind of thing (android auto nav + PCM) with Android phones?
Sponsored

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
After 3 years of electrical motoring in UK I bought a diesel car for long distances :)
The only way I could enjoy EV will be when retired and with no children.
I admire pioneers travelling up and down the Country and I like to read their adventures.
Retired and no kids at home, AND a diesel makes a Taycan useable for me. 150 miles is as far as I’ll go.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
It also worked like this in my X5 so I presume it should also function in the Q7.
not clear to me why it would work with one app and not with others 🤔

- it's not hardware
- it's not GPS access related, neither car audio or display, then...
- does it come from the apps, Waze and others ? Android Auto or Carplay ? PCM ?
I had a look at BMW and Audi forums: same there too, so I wouldn't blame Porsche here

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
not clear to me why it would work with one app and not with others 🤔

- it's not hardware
- it's not GPS access related, neither car audio or display, then...
- does it come from the apps, Waze and others ? Android Auto or Carplay ? PCM ?
I had a look at BMW and Audi forums: same there too, so I wouldn't blame Porsche here
I don’t know why it works with TT and not with the others. I first found out in my X5 45e three years ago on the BMW forum. That’s why I tested it in the Taycan now and it worked the same. Maybe a CarPlay setting?

OP
OP
Scandinavian

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I do not have Tomtom but have tried Google maps, Apple Maps as well as Waze in the car. I just can not get both operating at the same time though. As soon as I try that it switches off one of them. And I have tried a lot of combinations with Waze first outside the car then built in nav and several other combos. No way to get it working with both running.

So my solution now has been to plan the trip out of the car and input all the planned chargers as proper stopovers. That has worked well, even if the car at times want to divert to an obscure charger of 50 kW gor 3 minutes to reach the Ionity charger. I just ignore that and drive on.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I did a test, by using a fake GPS location app on the phone (Android).
When connected to the car, Waze shows the fake location... so it doesn't use the car's GPS unit !
And still same behaviour: when I ask Waze to start a new navigation, it kills the PCM one 😑
it has to be something else then....
TomTom seems to kill the PCM nav destination when it starts, but then keeps it if you put the destination in the PCM nav after starting the route on TomTom Go

AlexMaxX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag
Road-tripping in a Taycan sounds like an awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing your insights on navigating with TomTom and PCM. It's always interesting how these systems play together.

By the way, if you ever plan to mix it up with a train journey or just need some additional travel planning, you might find dbfahrplan.com super useful. Happy road-tripping and safe travels!
Sponsored

Last edited: