SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
Dropped off mine for a scheduled Transport damage repair today and attached this TSB (Long Brake Pedal Travel) and 2 others to check on (HV battery update and Compressor mounts). Will report back on the outcome.

Off topic but: They gave me a 992 S to drive that is for sale with 5K miles or so. I have never owned or driven one, thinking, if I do then I will want one. They said given my status they can get me one (not the GT3 kind, which would not be anything like that), that surprised me given many years wait everyone else is reporting. A 10-mile drive from the dealership to home was very underwhelming, as I am looking for a smooth/comfy daily driver with fun and power to go around town (lots of round abouts and ramps to do so). Lots of drama with engine noise (not pleasant to my ears in sound, frequency, or vibration feedback), and PDK shifts super quick, but the shifts are felt in the seat, sluggish at low speeds, and the only way to get the power is to keep it revved up which is not possible in slow going around town traffic, even with stretches of longer 60mph roads. I guess I am too young and/or too stupid to appreciate this thing (Judd Apatow story comes to mind when he bought one and then returned it right away), so I was thinking to myself, Taycan is just way too much fun to drive and nothing with wheels should be doing this, where in this 922 S, I was thinking, I do not get it, certainly not for me for daily driving and for sure not be relaxing for a weekend stroll, which is when I see most of them around town. I felt the same way when they gave me a Cayenne GT, a lot of drama, noise, lots of abrupt power with harsh and jarring ride (22-inch set with summers and they do special toe angle something on it), so getting back in our Cayenne Turbo was where we belong, which is comfy/fun and sublime in a daily or long-distance cruising (which is what we use it for most), and Taycan to me is in a totally different league as it comes to daily driving with instant power with no drama, as you feel you are not even touching the ground when passing or carving a corner.

Porsche Taycan TSB: Brake Pedal Travel Perceived as “Too Long” Just Before the Vehicle Comes to a Standstill - Feb. 9, 2024 updated 1692798447923
Sponsored

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Returned from the shop. Taycan was built in April of 2023 and Delivered 22 June 2023.

TSB on Brake Pedal: Their only certified tech drove it, said everything is normal, not to me.
TSB on Battery Software: The tech said, if it needs it, it will get it OTA.
TSB on Compressor Mounts: Inspected and they looked in tolerance.

mystermykee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 IGM
Country flag
I just got this TSB done at my dealership. The travel and feel is much better, especially when coming to that last 5-0mph stop. Since the travel is shorter, I was caught off guard a few times when the car started moving when letting off the pedal.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
TSB on Brake Pedal: Their only certified tech drove it, said everything is normal, not to me.
TSB on Battery Software: The tech said, if it needs it, it will get it OTA.
TSB on Compressor Mounts: Inspected and they looked in tolerance.
Sounds like they didn't want to do any work!

If you take it back here (or have the option of going to a different dealership) ask them to call/email the shop foreman at Porsche Fairfield in CT:
Jorge Montiero
Shop Foreman
Phone:203.367.3700
Email:[email protected]

To compare notes/resolutions regarding the braking issue/TSB.

Avantgarde

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Taycan RWD PB+, 21' X5 Xdrive45e, 09' Cayman
Country flag
Got it back this morning and it feels 1000x better than before. I hope it stays this way now. Pedal travel in all braking conditions is short and firm. Even on the highway using only a small amount of brake travel gets a ton of regen braking both felt (g forces) and shown on the power meter. I hope it stays this way now!

It still feels like a Taycan, meaning there will always be regen braking, blending braking and mechanical braking. It will never feel like a 911 (much lighter and no blending braking) but it feels good and the way you expect it to.

Assuming you don't need a new PSM unit (ie yours accepts the new code that came out as of July 2023) then it could just be a software fix, they did this first and then a new PSM unit was needed since mine wouldn't take the code (was not given a reason why). If that doesn't fix it then a new brake booster/ABS control unit is needed to go with it as well. So your "fix" might not be as long or complicated as mine.

A little scary to think what this would have cost without a warranty but I guess that's the price of being an early adopter.

Biggest takeaway/surprise for me from these 3 weeks without it is how much I dislike the Panamera and as similar as they seem they are SO different. I cannot describe how much sportier and more 911 like the Taycan feels vs the Panamera. The only other time I drove one was a 2015 GTS model (back when it was a V8) on a race track during a Porsche World Roadshow event and I don't recall that one feeling as bad as this brand new '23 Panamera 4 Platinum Edition. It was eye opening to see how different the two Porsche Sedans feel even if they share similar parts and DNA.

Thrilled to be back in my Taycan. Hope others suffering from this brake issue can get resolution. Print out the TSB linked on page 1 and bring it with you and you should have no issue getting it fixed.
I had the exact same surprise reaction to the 23 Panamera 4 platinum edition loaner I was given when my Taycan was being serviced. I had not driven a panamera before but had a very positive impression of it "on paper". I was expecting a similar feel to Taycan, maybe a tad lazier handling given the slightly longer chassis. It is day and night. I usually pass other vehicles on an odd U shaped highway ramp exiting my neighborhood, it involves some acceleration, then brakes then a sharp U shaped curve while braking and it is always an effortless exercise in Taycan (and I have the RWD). Panamera felt seriously distressed with the exact same maneuver (acceleration, weight transfer under braking & turning), my wife sitting next to me panicked (and I don't blame her, as I thought for a split second we would fly off the ramp). Not even close to Taycan in dynamism. This is why I protest when people say "Taycan is just another sporty sedan like panamera". But what is more surprising was the ride comfort. I was expecting a much more supple ride in Panamera given the inferior handling. The car had air suspension and felt stiffer and less comfortable on the highway compared to my Taycan! And my car does not even have the air springs and rides on mission Es!? I could only feel slightly better comfort at low speed/city driving with the Panamera. After a weekend with it, the only positive impression panamera left with me was the impeccable interior ( trumps taycan in luxury feel) and a cool exhaust note. Everything else felt inferior, including the looks of it which felt dated and "tired".

Last edited:

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like they didn't want to do any work!

If you take it back here (or have the option of going to a different dealership) ask them to call/email the shop foreman at Porsche Fairfield in CT:
Jorge Montiero
Shop Foreman
Phone:203.367.3700
Email:[email protected]

To compare notes/resolutions regarding the braking issue/TSB.
I returned to actually speak to the tech, super credible, only one at the shop certified to work on Taycan, he did PDI on it at delivery, so he knows the car, amazing person with deep knowledge and expertise. He said, he had one customer with this specific issue (long brake travel) and it was obvious and extreme and the PSM software update fixed it, mine felt totally normal after he drove it, and I am not even at 600 miles yet, and it seems to be getting better with more drives.

The takeaway, when it is that new, longer brake travel at low speeds is expected, so need to keep plenty of distance when coming to a stop, and it should improve over time.

Off topic: The used car sales manager, was not satisfied with my 992 S "not for me" experience, so he said come back today, and drive a 992 Cab Turbo S. I am not in the market for a 911, or ever will be, but they are doing it since they are just super nice to me, it is just a fun thing for them to do. I love it!

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I have my car at the dealership getting something looked at and am having them work on this brake issue while it’s there. The RWD Taycan they gave me as a loaner has brakes that feel way better. They feel more responsive and the regen gauge would suggest that more power is getting recovered. Interestingly, the regen button also seems to have an actual effect on this car. My car barely slows down with regen in. On the loaner it’s noticeable and I can finally see a purpose for there being a button in the first place. Not sure if there is any connection but something is definitely not quite right with my car. I’m hoping it’s as simple as a software update.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Porsche issued an updated TSB on Feb. 9, 2024. Link posted on OP.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Mine's been looked at twice and had TSBs applied... Including brake bleeding and fluid change.

It still has an odd feel in some circumstances, typically when coming to a slow halt as you pull up at junctions.

It feels to me like the transition between regen and hydraulic braking gets caught out from time to time.

At speed I've never had an issue, but AIUI hydraulic braking only kicks in around 10-15mph.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I’ve had the updated software installed as well. I notice the long travel is much improved with the new software, but every once in a while the system is out of sync and I get long travel. The system has always been fine at high speeds.

The updated TSB is much more clearly written, with actual measurements of pedal travel. I think that is a positive step in solving some of these issues.
Sponsored