Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
Can anyone authoritatively tell me without a shadow of a doubt how these three things work together?

i have no confidence that the seat memory buttons are keyed to the user profile.

I’m am starting to think that the 3 memories are nothing to do with the active user profile.

How on earth does the car decide which profile belongs to which key. I’m forever getting the wrong profile loaded when I open the car.

Me and my wife both have keys and we sit in the car together at the same time sometimes, me in the driving seat, her in the passenger. The car will always seem to choose the least appropriate profile.

The car seems to know when there is a key in the drivers compartment, because of i leave the key in the drivers door pocket and close the door, the ignition switches on when I close the door. Then I open the door and turn it off and close the door and the ignition comes on. Why didn’t they check for occupancy pressure in the drivers seat before automatically turning on when the door is closed.

The whole comfort access, keys and profiles seems such a stupid mess.

Why can’t you pair a key to a profile and mobile phone pairing preference, instead of having pot luck when two people get on car with two sets of keys.

I’m pretty sure the car knows which key is where, because as soon as I put the keys in the back seat the ignition does turn on when I close the door.

The car drives amazing.

The human computer interaction dynamics are abysmal.

Porsche should be ashamed of themselves, this is not exactly a new science.
Sponsored

frensham

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 4e Hybrid
Country flag
Hi Neighs
I feel for you and having only got my car yesterday with no personal handover because of covid, I’ve already got wound up with the stupid connect app and the other my Porsche app with trying to work out why there are two and what they do and how the connection / pcm thing works.
Frustrating!
But I’ll start googling I guess. I will have the same situation with keys so watch this space!
Good luck

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
This is not unique to Porsche. I don't have the problem with the Taycan because I didn't give my wife the second key to the Taycan :giggle: However in her Maserati there are many times when we will both be in the car with the keys. She is 5 ft 1 in so the seat sometimes compress like an accordion when the car recognizes her key instead of mine. At least what I discovered with her car is that it is the key that unlocks the car that gets priority when both sets of keys are present.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
This is not unique to Porsche. I don't have the problem with the Taycan because I didn't give my wife the second key to the Taycan :giggle: However in her Maserati there are many times when we will both be in the car with the keys. She is 5 ft 1 in so the seat sometimes compress like an accordion when the car recognizes her key instead of mine. At least what I discovered with her car is that it is the key that unlocks the car that gets priority when both sets of keys are present.
According to the manual, on page 81:
"Unlocking doors with Comfort Access - The doors can be unlocked on the side of the vehicle where the vehicle key is located."

Therefore the car knows exactly which key is being used where, so there is no excuse for choosing the wrong profile.

The problem is, how does the car associate a profile with a key ...

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
p113
After the vehicle is switched off, the status of the system is stored in the selected account and paired with the vehicle key used.

p168
Ergonomic settings can be stored and retrieved manually using the memory buttons in the driver's door. In addition, individual accounts that automatically store and retrieve ergonomic and comfort settings can be registered via the central display. Both functions can be used independently of one another.

If the vehicle is switched off, the previously actuated settings are automatically stored in the selected account and paired with the vehicle key used. The settings are loaded automatically when the door is unlocked, when the account paired with the vehicle key is detected. If two or more people use the vehicle, the use of one account and one vehicle key per person is recommended. The accounts can be changed manually if required.

Ergonomic settings affect:
seat, door mirror and steering wheel settings. In addition, up to three ergonomic settings can be manually stored and retrieved via the memory buttons in the driver's door.

Comfort settings (depending on the country) affect: ergonomic, air conditioning, light, vision, assistance system, instrument cluster and infotainment settings.

When the vehicle is turned off and locked, the settings previously made are automatically stored in the account.

The comfort settings are overwritten when switching from one active account to another. The ergonomic settings are not overwritten.

I am guessing that this means that the ergonomics are saved on lock to the key used to unlock the car. And applied on unlock, possibly from the key first used to unlock the car rather than the driver's side key.

This would explain the random behavior I see, but is super dumb given that the car knows which key is at the driver's side (if any).

You also have 3 presets, for ergonomics, which are global and will replace the "active" key's settings ... which would also seem to explain why profiles and seat position can sometimes seem to be randomly chosen.

You can see from the PCM which is the active profile, but only see the current profile if you are on the home screen.

I am utterly underwhelmed by the failure to operate logically, given that the car has all the necessary information to make a logical and coherent decision.

It smacks of Porsche outsourcing their software development to the The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
On my BMW ... the key was the profile and everything in the car was specific to the key that was used to unlock the car.

That said ... on comfort access, it seems that first one to open the car wins, irrespective of who was at the driver's door.

Seems like a common "flaw" ... so why would they do it like that?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
@Neighs - if your wife hasn't set up a separate profile through the PCM she will need to do so via her own Porsche ID (there are other threads on the forum regarding setting up Porsche IDs for additional users). Apparently each key is associated with each individual profile.

Porsche Taycan User Profiles, Keys & Seat Memory Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 8.55.03 AM

OP
OP
Neighs

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
@Neighs - if your wife hasn't set up a separate profile through the PCM she will need to do so via her own Porsche ID (there are other threads on the forum regarding setting up Porsche IDs for additional users). Apparently each key is associated with each individual profile.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 8.55.03 AM.png
We each have our own profile

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I can tell you the door seat memory buttons have nothing to do with driver profiles. However they can interact with / interfere with driver profiles. Meaning if you have a seat position saved, if you recall that, then get out of the car, that position is saved to your user profile. The key stores which user profile was last used.

So if you recall position 1 from the door, then change it, then exit the car, the changed position is saved to your profile but not to the door position 1.

It all seems to work fine until there are two keys in range of the car.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am still confused as f how this works. I have my own account and I set up my wife as a secondary user with her own account. We each have our own key fob.

It doesn't matter what key I use to enter the car, the last-used account is always being used so I have to manually switch the account. Likewise after I drive the car and my wife drives it, she'd enter the car with my profile. It's already a daunting task to tell her you have to press recup button, restore the seating position, lift the car out of our driveway and reverse out at an angle, etc. and on top of that you have to select your profile every single time you enter the car. Is the account supposed to auto-switch based on the fob being used/detected? Doesn't seem to be the case for me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am still confused as f how this works. I have my own account and I set up my wife as a secondary user with her own account. We each have our own key fob.

It doesn't matter what key I use to enter the car, the last-used account is always being used so I have to manually switch the account. Likewise after I drive the car and my wife drives it, she'd enter the car with my profile. It's already a daunting task to tell her you have to press recup button, restore the seating position, lift the car out of our driveway and reverse out at an angle, etc. and on top of that you have to select your profile every single time you enter the car. Is the account supposed to auto-switch based on the fob being used/detected? Doesn't seem to be the case for me.
Do you have auto login enabled per account?

Ideally don't have both keys in the car and if you do ensure your key gets there first or press unlock on the fob to force the identification of your key and therefore load the associated profile and comfort settings. This is how the auto selection works.

When 2 keys are present leaving one in the car will lead to power off issues and invariably the car will power on. Resets when locked.

Recup settings are never stored.

Go through the motions with the master key first to ensure all settings for PCM and comfort are retrieved. Exit the car, lock, walkaway, return and open the car, sit down, close the door and confirm all settings have been retrieved.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you have auto login enabled per account?

Ideally don't have both keys in the car and if you do ensure your key gets there first or press unlock on the fob to force the identification of your key and therefore load the associated profile and comfort settings. This is how the auto selection works.

When 2 keys are present leaving one in the car will lead to power off issues and invariably the car will power on. Resets when locked.

Recup settings are never stored.

Go through the motions with the master key first to ensure all settings for PCM and comfort are retrieved. Exit the car, lock, walkaway, return and open the car, sit down, close the door and confirm all settings have been retrieved.
Thank you, I was able to finally assign a key to a profile after many lockings and unlockings, going back and forth with the 2 keys etc. But now I think it’s all messed up again. I keep my car unlocked in the garage, so I am not sure if that caused the issue, or if it was because my wife and I both were in the car with our keys when we went somewhere.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thank you, I was able to finally assign a key to a profile after many lockings and unlockings, going back and forth with the 2 keys etc. But now I think it’s all messed up again. I keep my car unlocked in the garage, so I am not sure if that caused the issue, or if it was because my wife and I both were in the car with our keys when we went somewhere.
Having both keys with you isn't a good idea as it leads to all sorts of weird things - if one set is left in the car and you both exit, I've seen the car power itself back on.

The other thing is that whichever key fob (and unlock button pressed) was used to open the car is the profile that is used. If you then use the other key and approach the car and don't press the fob button to unlock then the previous settings are used - only with Comfort function. To ensure the profile matched to the key is used the key fob unlock button must be used rather than just approach the car and let it unlock automatically.
Sponsored