whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The authorization has nothing to do with whom owns how much of EA. Porsche could reach an agreement Tesla and offer plug-n-charge via the Porsche app. Won’t happen, but I absolutely don’t want a Tesla account. (Or an EVGo, or ChargePoint - same thing.)
How many hours on the phone with Porsche support would it take for you to just install the Tesla app and setup an account? Will you stand on principle and just never charge at Tesla on days when Porsche app is malfunctioning? Perhaps sleep in a roof tent at the supercharger until someone in Germany wakes up to reset their servers? ;)
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
How many hours on the phone with Porsche support would it take for you to just install the Tesla app and setup an account? Will you stand on principle and just never charge at Tesla on days when Porsche app is malfunctioning? Perhaps sleep in a roof tent at the supercharger until someone in Germany wakes up to reset their servers? ;)
No roof tent for me, i have a glass roof. I am surprised it holds my (empty for now) ski box.

The thing is I’d totally diversify my charging options if, on longer trips, i’d have more options to break the trip down. On the trip to CA and back, for instance, EA and Tesla stations were at the same locations - so you still have to contend with 120-160 miles-apart options for charging. If , say, they were interspersed at 60-80 mi intervals, that would make for fewer stops and an optimal route planning.

I will be curious to see how my next trip to California pans out. (And i may consider a roof tent, too.)

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
yes - it's just engineering and they should be able to support 800V vehicle's - I'm pretty sure that the auto industry will grudgingly work on interoperability here - but some testing and real world experience is going to be required to see what Taycan can extract from a V4 supercharger in the real world -do we have any data from V4 superchargers in Europe where Taycan's could already plugin and give it a try - I'm pretty sure if what ever it does in Europe w/V4 will be what we will end up having for functionality here in North America.
I have a Taycan Turbo and have used V4 SuC's acouple of times, in each case the max charge rate was a little south of 150kW, I do have the onboard convertor option fitted, and do regularly see 270kW from the Ionity and RAW Charging networks that supply up to 1000V.

Englishtony2002

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
that would require new software for the vehicle - there is no VIN information transmiitted via CCS right now - to expect _ANY_ plug&charge functionality is unrealistic - maybe future NACS based vehicle's may support plug&charge, but existing CCS1 vehicle's it's very very unlikely.
In the UK, the Taycan (as with other VAG EV's) supports cert, based ISO15118 Plug&Charge.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
Has anyone seen the equipment that Porsche recommends we use to access these super chargers?
Not a single non-Tesla auto maker has released any hardware, nor any photos of hardware, that I'm aware of... as of yet. It seems likely that Ford (the first to announce the NACS adoption) will be first to market with any sort of adapter. Tesla employees even said so by accidentally leaking this data recently during a zoning meeting in Utah -- see here:

https://insideevs.com/news/701484/ford-gm-evs-tesla-supercharger-access-february-2024/

EDIT -- as noted by snstevens above -- any adapters will potentially look like that Lectron unit. But it is up to each auto maker to release hardware and such. And then Tesla also needs to figure out how he software works there -- so a lot to still come b4 we can use Tesla chargers (save for those few MagicDock locations, which can be used as of today)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Has anyone seen the equipment that Porsche recommends we use to access these super chargers?
as noted it will have to be similar in nature to if not exactly like this unit - the adapters will unlikely to be vendor specific with all the charging activation being handled by software - and the adatper just being a physical device with limited "active" electronics - there are only 5 "wires" (2 high voltage DC connectors, 2 low voltage communications connectors, 1 electrical ground - NACS and CCS1 both share a 5 wire design - with the 5 wires all having indentical purpose) that must be bridged from one side to the other - it will operate in a similar nature to the TeslaTap for AC charging.

https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...MIgIb-7qqegwMVxkp_AB3HvAinEAQYASABEgKbhfD_BwE

Porsche Taycan VW Group (Porsche, Audi, Scout) Commits to NACS Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.14.56 AM

its the "reverse" of this adapter that Tesla Owner's use to access CCS1 chargers…see pics below from the TeslaSite…

Porsche Taycan VW Group (Porsche, Audi, Scout) Commits to NACS 1656565-00-A_5_2000

Porsche Taycan VW Group (Porsche, Audi, Scout) Commits to NACS 1656565-00-A_4_2000

Last edited:

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
[...] EDIT -- as noted by snstevens above -- any adapters will potentially look like that Lectron unit. But it is up to each auto maker to release hardware and such. And then Tesla also needs to figure out how he software works there -- so a lot to still come b4 we can use Tesla chargers (save for those few MagicDock locations, which can be used as of today)
The only thing up to each auto maker is to beg Elon for access.
Done.
Then wait in line.
Doing.
(Unfortunately though, both my CT and my wife's i4 are last in line...)
The software on Tesla's end is trivial, since it's the same as for Magic Dock, sans the nifty way that a CCS1 EV automatically affixes (and then eventually removes) the adapter.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
The software on Tesla's end is trivial, since it's the same as for Magic Dock, sans the nifty way that a CCS1 EV automatically affixes (and then eventually removes) the adapter.
That is actually not yet confirmed, is it? Right now you can use a Magic Dock to charge at certain stations, but you have to drive up, open the Tesla app, enter the tower ID (eg: 1C) and then it releases the charger w/adapter. This requires a Tesla account and you're good to go.

However, with your own adapter, there is nothing to "release" -- so the free-dangling cable could be plugged into your adapter/car without releasing anything or using the app. At which point the handshake would occur, but "fail" because you have a non-Tesla plugged in. Basically if someone buys the adapter above and tries it right now, it'd just fail.

There was an article I read a few months back, that indicated (speculated?) that Tesla was going to roll out plug-and-charge by dealing with auto makers one at a time. Sort of the same way Porsche right now works with, for example, Electrify America. Our VIN is in Porsche's system. When EA sees your VIN, their cloud talks to Porsche cloud, Porsche handles the payment, and charges the end user. So, will Tesla do the same?

I;m not disagreeing wtih your speculation, just saying it could get handled one of two ways. Since there is no credit card reader at the station, the alternative would be how AutoCharge+ works with EVgo, where you have pre entered a VIN that works. This seems possibly how Tesla might go about it, and is how you mention, and how I'd personally prefer, as it should Make for a faster handshake. Tesla would potentially love this, too, because they'd have access to your VIN and could collect data about non Tesla vehicles (charge speed, and other data shared across data). Hmmm..... we shall see!!

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Right, that's what I meant, i.e., your first two paragraphs.
Tesla has been quiet about this, but that's what happens when I company has no formal public relations dept and instead relies on one guy randomly posted on a social media platform he bought.
Might Tesla eventually introduce Plug & Play for certain CCS1 makes? Perhaps, but for now at least, so easy to continue authorizing CCS1 via the app.

SecretSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Telsa Mod3P
Country flag
I think we're also under appreciating the infrastructure ramp up needed by Tesla to support new companies. They are going to need new charging stations to support all these new companies. VW was late to the party, so they'll have to wait in line, unfortunately.

Premium companies should have been the first to jump on the NACS train. It only makes sense, as their customers are most often close to Tesla chargers, and likely have the highest EV ownership.
Sponsored