First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche 944
Country flag
- Fighter Pilot mode
As a Data Scientist that is actually P-car girl first and foremost (Data Science just makes it so I can have the P-car), I sorta am intrigued by this mode. All kidding aside, what I love about my Taycan is that merging of the analog and digital to a degree. I don't want the car choosing my mode for me. Mine has been in this odd setting of normal/sport since the day I got it; motor performance set at normal because I am not needing to race, but the suspension in sport because I like it firm.

However, I do like that idea of having more control over it through the app. Sure, yay, I can warm it up by touching a button on my iPhone, but if I could say, readjust my performance curve to be a bit more sporty when I am about to hit a drive out into the park or mountains, that would be nice. Or better yet, let's program it to do that. I am just happy driving in my Normal/Sport, and I turn off onto my favorite twisty road and the car "automatically" knows that this sort of road is the kind of place that I like to have a little more punch at my command because I told it that. Maybe, that is semi-auto; it is not really AI in that the car is "learning" from my behavior, but I am telling the car in advance what I want its behavior to be.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
you "wishes" you have could be implemented but at what cost?
both monetary and capability wise.
the car would need more/bigger processors adding weight.
I think that you answered your own remarks with "porsche" is not a software company.
It's all coming, most likely with a new AI chip designed and made in China. But do customers want that? Most Porsche drivers like to have a few buttons and dials to play around with in order to enjoy this toy.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This brings me to another improvement. The "Power" screen should have two arcs, one showing status of front motor and second one showing status of rear motor. Make the arcs different size since the two motors are different size and thus pulling different currents at different times.
Also shows recuperation is likely different for the two motors. Of course make this configurable
so the average user might select the less busy display of two arcs and just use the combined display as shown today.
You have good ideas, hopefully Porsche is reading this, too!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...it takes 5 lines of software to do them in a few different situations...
I'm all with you on getting more, better and customizable information in and from the car, but don't forget, a new model on a new platform with an entirely new drive train, is a huge undertaking even for a company like Porsche.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Range mode is front wheel drive only on car's with all wheel drive. It does use rear motor in range mode when pulling off (to reduce torque steer) but once moving the rear motor is deactivated. Its one of the main "features" of range mode.
I get that they do that for efficiency, but what is the downside from a driving perspective? Is it less responsive?: Less acceleration? Under what driving conditions would a "normal" driver notice (e.g. trying to pass?) I am not a car guy, so excuse the ignorance for what is likely an obvious answer.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
and therein is the problem :D

as others noted the porsche is a sports car that they've been able to add electric propulsion to. maybe a tesla with all it's gizmos would more suited to a techie like you
No, no, no, he is perfect here! Even a software guy needs a car which can drive!

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
This isn’t an ICE with cylinder deactivation, 8 speed transmission, etc. Opportunities to be more efficient in actually moving the car are limited, especially at highway speeds where you’re always in second gear. Just which motor to run, lowering the car, battery conditioning, and how aggressive the accelerator mapping is.

Running front motor only is selected using range mode, but it will kick down to using both motors, so there’s your auto mode right there. Transmission will also kick down (definitely in normal mode, not sure about range).

Porsche is probably hesitant to select a super low ride height without you selecting it due to potential issues with hitting something. Probably similar liability reason to why you can’t force the spoiler to stay down at highway speeds to improve efficiency.

Battery conditioning takes time and so is pointless to happen automatically when you start driving more aggressively.

The whole point of a less aggressive accelerator mapping is that it dampens your inputs, the point of which would be lost if it automatically adjusted due to aggressive inputs.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The Taycan is drive by wire, accelerate by wire, steer by wire, brake by wire, ...
The Taycan is NOT steer-by-wire NOR brake-by-wire.
Otherwise it wouldn't be road legal.
Like mentioned in another thread it's (still) mechanically linked due to safety demands on most markets.
Maybe you refer to steer and brake assist.

More on topic: I'm quite happy about the modes now that I'm used to it.
I've used Sport Plus most of the time but now that I noticed the comfort in suspension I've switched to Individual at it's lowest setting, comfort, regen and sound on.
On long drives I use Range mode but that's just 1% of the time...
A Porsche should be driven by me, not the other way around.
Just my 0,02. :)

Last edited:

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I was reading a great study in which most people, when confronted with a problem, will add complexity to solve it. I have always been a proponent of simplicity in design and in solution. For example for years what people did NOT get about Apple (it doesn't let me load MP3, is locked down, doesn't give me all the controls of my XYZ device) is that they were a REDUCTIONIST product design company. The iPod only had a wheel and 4 buttons.

I do not want my car to be a computer (and yet I am a tech professional). The same way I do not want my computer to only have four keys. IF the point of a Porsche is to focus on the driving experience then all controls and "modes" should ONLY focus on that. Anything else is diluting its purity and simplicity.

I was looking at the video of the MBZ EQS in horror. Its not a car, its a tech gadget toy nightmare on wheels. I mean unless I am parked in my garage WHY am I moving while looking at multiple screens and gadgets?

I am also a first time (or was) Porsche owner with the Taycan. I have had almost every EV (except Tesla Model S/X/3) and am used to having all the settings etc. And I quickly understood why Porsche even took away high regen/one pedal driving. It MAKES sense that the car should ALWAYS behave the same regardless of battery charge level. Only an engineer cares about that, not the true sport car drive.

Long winded version: you have interesting ideas, it applies better to another design purpose. The design purpose of the Taycan is to drive actively and have the focus on the driving (not many controls in that).

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
One-pedal driving makes sense for something like a milk float (do those still exist?) or delivery van, not for a sports car or even a sporty saloon. I think they really nailed the balance with the light regen simulating a bit of engine braking.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
One-pedal driving makes sense for something like a milk float (do those still exist?) or delivery van, not for a sports car or even a sporty saloon. I think they really nailed the balance with the light regen simulating a bit of engine braking.
while I have gotten used to using the brake pedal again after 8 years of driving teslas I have to say that I disagree, I liked the concept of letting the tech do the work of the mechanical. I know how taycan's braking works but having to move my foot, UGH!

OP
OP
TayTaySD

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
No surprise we cannot agree ;-( Btw, notice that I always suggested a new mode, not getting rid of the current modes. So if you don't want the car to change from "range settings" to "sport settings" when you start to drive the car in a spirited manner you don't have to, don't select "auto" mode! I was not suggesting taking away people's driving choices. Just allowing the computer to optimize the car every moment of driving if the driver prefers. Personally I think it is dangerous to have to push a few buttons at certain times.

I love the recuperation modes P gives the Taycan. I don't like one pedal driving. But at the same time I am surprised they didn't give us the choice. I do wish they were stored in personal settings so I don't have to select it every time I drive. Yes I use "auto" recuperation every drive...lol

Sometimes I want to drive, other times I am commuting in traffic, other times I'm on a track etc.
Thus P gives us a couple of modes. But I would just rather their engineers and pro drivers program a car that is fully capable of all our moods without pushing buttons. I do love adaptive cruise control for traffic situations and long boring drives. No worry that as I change the radio station I plow into the car in-front of me. I have used cruise control for decades, it shows how poor the average driver is, speeding up and slowing down by 10Mph without any traffic. This is dangerous by the way. I still check my speed every few seconds whether I have cruise engaged or not, habit.

The Taycan is brake by wire
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a34224683/how-brake-by-wire-works-safety/

Really what I mean by "xxx by wire" is nearly every input is first sent to a few microprocessors which then various micros do the real work. I did not say there aren't mechanical linkages.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/chassis-18561.html

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Agree! I always drive without regen, I love how easy it is, to just let go of all pedal and let the car coast. When I then go into Sport mode the sudden loss of coasting is irritating.
Sponsored