What are your top 3 Taycan 4S performance options in order and why?

obxckw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi Everyone.
I'm meticulously configuring my 4S (May production - UGH!) and want to get your opinion on what performance options matter most to you and WHY.

Question:
If you had to rank order the following 4S performance options, what order would you rank them in and WHY would your rank them that way?

1. Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
2. Porsche Dynamic Chasis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)
3. Rear Axel Steering

...remember, the WHY is important

Thanks in advance !

?
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
PB+ because it’s the only one that adds horsepower. I know you didn’t mention it but I think people tend to only consider the range and not the horsepower.

RAS because it helps in all driving scenarios where you turn the wheel, not just at speed.

The PDCC because it helps with many types of driving conditions as well.

Last would be torque vectoring because it really only helps on high speed curves.

This would be my order for a daily driver. For a track car, it would probably be different.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
May production -ugh
May delivery is pretty good considering supply issues. I ordered my Taycan in July and it was delivered mid December. It gives you time to decide on options.

As for configuration, I’m super happy I ordered RWS and PASM. Next Taycan will have full leather. This is my daily driver so I don’t need PDCC.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I added torque vectoring first since it will improve traction out of slow corners and I have always had a limited slip diff in sports cars.

Next came rear axle steering, I know the multi link suspension does partly the same due to geometry and flexure of rubber bushes but I know how clever the active version is for aiding stability and response (I tested it on a Formula 1 car before it was banned).

I was in two minds about PDCC because of the cost but since it decouples the anti-roll bars when there is no lateral load it improves ride as well and since getting a smoother riding car was one of my objectives I ordered it.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I started with the performance package since I had read good things about all of the included items, and the PB+.

Then I started thinking about what I might miss if I didn't get it and went on a button-pushing frenzy. Thankfully my vehicle is past the freeze date now, there were a couple of items left I could have selected :CWL:

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PB+ because it’s the only one that adds horsepower. I know you didn’t mention it but I think people tend to only consider the range and not the horsepower.

RAS because it helps in all driving scenarios where you turn the wheel, not just at speed.

The PDCC because it helps with many types of driving conditions as well.

Last would be torque vectoring because it really only helps on high speed curves.

This would be my order for a daily driver. For a track car, it would probably be different.
My understanding is that much of the extra HP from the PB+ is offset by the extra weight from the larger battery so net-net it ends up being about range. The performance numbers for the 4S with and without PB+ being largely the same. I believe MotorTrend had the PB+ model about .1 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. I know that with acceleration every tenth of a second counts, but that’s an expensive tenth of a second if you’re buying for performance (and not range). I don’t need the range and so skipped PB+.

PITTSBURGHTAYCAN

First Name
CH-PGH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Previous A4, Cayenne, 2018 M5
Country flag
Here are some of the cheaper options that are a must. For those who live in a colder climate this will apply to you IMO.

1. Rear Axle Steering
2. Sports Chrono, dialing up Sport Plus in a second turns the 4S into an absolute monster.
3. Summer tires. Amazing the difference in grip from May - November.

Don’t buy Sport Sound as it is cool for about 2 minutes and adds zero performance. The sound of the motors are already pretty awesome.

I have driven 911s on the track in Birmingham with torque vectoring and PDCC, that’s the only place it matters, on a track. I found it more helpful on a Porsche SUV than on one of the cars which I tried on a Porsche day at a track in Pittsburgh, PA.

congrats on your new ride.

Hevonen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Everyone.
I'm meticulously configuring my 4S (May production - UGH!) and want to get your opinion on what performance options matter most to you and WHY.

Question:
If you had to rank order the following 4S performance options, what order would you rank them in and WHY would your rank them that way?

3. Rear Axel Steering

Thanks in advance !

?
I have all of them on my 4S. The only one that I notice on a daily basis is rear axel steering.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
My understanding is that much of the extra HP from the PB+ is offset by the extra weight from the larger battery so net-net it ends up being about range. The performance numbers for the 4S with and without PB+ being largely the same. I believe MotorTrend had the PB+ model about .1 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile. I know that with acceleration every tenth of a second counts, but that’s an expensive tenth of a second if you’re buying for performance (and not range). I don’t need the range and so skipped PB+.
PB+ is a huge difference and required before any of these other performance additions that bring only very minor changes you will only notice on track at the limit. Rear axel helps for slow speed not performance.

listen to the owners and not a magazine. PB+ Especially for the 60+ performance boost.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
PB+ is a huge difference and required before any of these other performance additions that bring only very minor changes you will only notice on track at the limit. Rear axel helps for slow speed not performance.
What is the improvement in power to weight ratio of the PB+?

Edit.
I have checked, the PB+ gives around the same power to weight ratio, so actually the top speed will be higher but the acceleration about the same as the smaller battery and ultimate cornering and braking worse, so not a particularly big performance gain in real life.

Last edited:

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
What is the improvement in power to weight ratio of the PB+?

Edit.
I have checked, the PB+ gives around the same power to weight ratio, so actually the top speed will be higher but the acceleration about the same as the smaller battery and ultimate cornering and braking worse, so not a particularly big performance gain in real life.
Glad you checked your spreadsheet and let me know. Must have been why the GTS left it out…

Real life: it’s a much better choice than any of the other performance options.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Additional important point about the bigger battery: It does not significantly speed up road trips.
Typically you only gain about 10-15 min in a 8 hour route trip.
The reason is simple: It only helps it the very first leg of your trip. Afterwards it only helps a because it is a little bit faster to charge a bigger battery. But that is only for a very limited amount of time.
You can check this easily in "abetterrouteplanner".
So the extra battery is only useful if you expect to do a lot of trips where you need exactly between 0 and 45 km extra. If you need less it does not matter. If you need more it only matters a minute extra charging time.
The bigger battery is much less useful than most people think.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Additional important point about the bigger battery: It does not significantly speed up road trips.
Typically you only gain about 10-15 min in a 8 hour route trip.
The reason is simple: It only helps it the very first leg of your trip. Afterwards it only helps a because it is a little bit faster to charge a bigger battery. But that is only for a very limited amount of time.
You can check this easily in "abetterrouteplanner".
So the extra battery is only useful if you expect to do a lot of trips where you need exactly between 0 and 45 km extra. If you need less it does not matter. If you need more it only matters a minute extra charging time.
The bigger battery is much less useful than most people think.
Well, everything points to there being some performance gain with PB+, and everything I've read also points to a higher residual value (you'll get more than the cost of the PB+ when you go to sell). That alone, at least to me, makes it a no-brainer performance upgrade. If you are on a really tight budget perhaps not.

JC2021

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi Everyone.

Question:

3. Rear Axel Steering

Thanks in advance !

?
Rear axle steering first for me. Turning circle improvement is very noticeable which makes parking a big car much easier. PDCC really good for flatter cornering - also noticeable. Not sure I really notice the PTV in normal driving but it was bundled with the PDCC when I bought my CT4S so had no choice but to get that too. My thinking was it’s a Porsche so best to spend options money on mechanical stuff and get all three rather than mood lighting and extended leather etc but everyone will have their own opinions…

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
RAS is by far first.
Then PTV+
PDCC as a super optional 3rd.

RAS benefits every element of driving everyday. Turn radius improves, high speed stability, it's fantastic.

PTV+ is nice if you really push the car but it's not noticeable most of the time. Theortically helps in inclement weather.

PDCC IMHO is a track only option. I still don't like the artificial feel it gives at times and it just isn't at all helpful for street driving.
Sponsored