What temperature would you keep your garage?

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you had a climate controlled garage, what temperature would you keep it at?

A couple of things that have been on my mind about this:
- the car preconditions the battery when charging en route — if the ambient temperature was that ideal temp, would it make the car work less?
- the car actively cools while charging. setting lower than the battery temp while charging also seems prudent, making heat exchange easier for the car.
- long term storage guidance also notes a storage range too.

I don’t want to over cool or heat my garage but not sure what to set it to.
Sponsored

BluBaby

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

- the car preconditions the battery when charging en route — if the ambient temperature was that ideal temp, would it make the car work less?
- the car actively cools while charging. setting lower than the battery temp while charging also seems prudent, making heat exchange easier for the car.

I keep mine at 78 F degrees. Comfortable and it should prolong the battery life.

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag

IMO you should go with whatever room temperature ambient you prefer the car cabin to be at, so that the car doesn’t have to work to preheat/precool the cabin.

There’s battery heating from departure preconditioning, which is different from preheating during navigation to a DC charger destination.

See this chart from the manual / GTN - probably not practical to heat your garage to 86F°+ Doesn’t make sense to worry about your battery departure temperature at any level beyond comfortable human room temp ambient.

Porsche Taycan What temperature would you keep your garage? 1657591762502

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Couldn’t the car just be plugged in for this? …so it doesn’t seem like it matters…?

Condition the garage to make yourself comfortable as you prefer, but I’m kind of missing any other strong benefit to the car.

OP
OP

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Couldn’t the car just be plugged in for this? …so it doesn’t seem like it matters…?

Condition the garage to make yourself comfortable as you prefer, but I’m kind of missing any other strong benefit to the car.
If the ambient temp in the garage is super high (like it is right now in Texas, 100+ degrees), then the car has to work especially hard for thermal management of the battery while charging. And, possibly even a temp at which it throttles back. But, on the other hand, there's probably a temperature at which it's so low that it's not worth the cooling cost.

I'm trying to figure out where to keep it. I generally keep my garage here in Texas around 85 degrees. But, wondering if I could/should be shooting for something lower.

...also, take a look at @Hirschaj 's thread where he found the section where they talk about ambient temps and charging here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...in-hot-weather-after-dc-charging-150kw.11439/

(cutting and pasting his screenshot, for convenience -- ignore the red circle, that's because of what the other thread is about).

Note the 1st, 3rd and 5th bullet points...

Porsche Taycan What temperature would you keep your garage? 9F29CE66-09E1-46D8-B58B-1613DA6989A8

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the ambient temp in the garage is super high (like it is right now in Texas, 100+ degrees), then the car has to work especially hard for thermal management of the battery while charging.
That may be, but I’m not aware of any evidence of it being an actual issue.

First and third paragraphs directly contradict each other.

First one says ambient temperature should be below 86 for charging. Third says if it’s above 86 to plug in and charge…?

Anyway, do as you wish, but I probably wouldn’t go though the trouble just for the car. For myself and my own comfort, maybe. It’s been 90-100+ for like a month here.

OP
OP

TxnBluDvl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure that the first and third contradict.

In the end, hard to say, it's all kinds of confusing!

What I've taken away from the above is to try and keep the ambient temp that the car is in to below 86 degrees. So, that's what I've set my garage to, at a minimum, for now.

Last edited:

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
If the ambient temp in the garage is super high (like it is right now in Texas, 100+ degrees), then the car has to work especially hard for thermal management of the battery while charging. And, possibly even a temp at which it throttles back. But, on the other hand, there's probably a temperature at which it's so low that it's not worth the cooling cost.

I'm trying to figure out where to keep it. I generally keep my garage here in Texas around 85 degrees. But, wondering if I could/should be shooting for something lower.

...also, take a look at @Hirschaj 's thread where he found the section where they talk about ambient temps and charging here:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...in-hot-weather-after-dc-charging-150kw.11439/

(cutting and pasting his screenshot, for convenience -- ignore the red circle, that's because of what the other thread is about).

The wording in that screenshot from the other thread must be old. Here is the same section in the MY22 manual / GTN:
Porsche Taycan What temperature would you keep your garage? 1657595929254

Note the addition of “where possible” in bullet one. It’s a recommendation, not a hard flight ceiling.

Bullet 3 - I take that to mean: if it’s really frickin hot, prefer AC charging over DC charging. (Presumably due to the lower rate being less stress on the HV battery)

Bullet 5 pertains to preparing the battery for DC charging. If it’s 100F ambient outdoors, and you depart your garage at indoor ambient of 80F, battery temp is going to creep up regardless and by the time you’d be doing a DC fastcharge with or without battery temperature preconditioning, your departure ambient will be irrelevant

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not so sure that the first and third contradict.
I disagree. They may not have meant it to, but, as worded, it does.

The first point says “when charging” so it established a state for the next statement to apply, which is to verify ambient temperature limits.

The third says “at ambient temperature above 86” so it is establishing a condition to prompt the next action, which is to plug in and and charge, at which point you are in violation of point 1.

So, point 3 explicitly tells you to violate point 1.

Edit:
Note the addition of “where possible” in bullet one. It’s a recommendation, not a hard flight ceiling.
That updated wording fixes it.
Sponsored