What's the secret to locking the car using a finger swipe on door handle?

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
So the comfort access is the setting that enables lock when walking away? I am experiencing trouble with the automatic lock when walking away, however car consistently unlocks when I approach.
I think it only does the unlock, I looked through Good to Know and didn't see anything about auto locking when walking away, though I could have sworn I've heard of others talking about it on this forum.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
So the comfort access is the setting that enables lock when walking away? I am experiencing trouble with the automatic lock when walking away, however car consistently unlocks when I approach.
I don't believe this is a thing, is it? I've never been able to just walk away with the key in my pocket and have it lock on its own. That would certainly be cool though. You have to at least touch the door handle indentation, I think.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It does at least do the former, with Comfort Access enabled.
I disabled this when I saw that it only handles the former; unlocking the door when approaching. However, I decided to re-enable it today and see what happens when I walk away from the vehicle. It turns out, it does eventually lock automatically. I’m not sure if it’s using distance or a simple timer. Anyone have any idea?

OP
OP
SWORDER

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I disabled this when I saw that it only handles the former; unlocking the door when approaching. However, I decided to re-enable it today and see what happens when I walk away from the vehicle. It turns out, it does eventually lock automatically. I’m not sure if it’s using distance or a simple timer. Anyone have any idea?
Interesting. I'll give this another try. I tried once, walked away, looked back at it, even gave it an expectant stare, as if to say, "Dude, are you going to lock yourself or what?" And nothing happened. Maybe it just needs more time to itself before autolocking.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting. I'll give this another try. I tried once, walked away, looked back at it, even gave it an expectant stare, as if to say, "Dude, are you going to lock yourself or what?" And nothing happened. Maybe it just needs more time to itself before autolocking.
Yup. It seems to be set on a timer, which is a shame. It would make a lot more sense to use proximity for both unlocking and locking.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Could it have been this? Confusing language in the first case, but I think the car is still unlocked despite the door handles retracting. I think this covers the case where you get out of the car and then simply close the door. The handles eventually retract, but the car is still in an unlocked state.

Porsche Taycan What's the secret to locking the car using a finger swipe on door handle? IMG_394E8A7C7AD1-1

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
As far as I can tell it’s timer-based. I still have Tesla muscle-memory where I often just walk away without pushing the big black button. The infotainment continues to play as I walk away, but when I come back the car is locked but I’ve never timed how long it takes for the car to manifest its abandonment issues.

IMHO there no need for the button…get in and push the brake to turn on; get out and walk away to shut off and lock.

Of course,Tesla has the butt-in-chair sensor to help decide if the driver has in fact vacated but not sure that’s really a requirement to make the decision.

hshm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Could it have been this? Confusing language in the first case, but I think the car is still unlocked despite the door handles retracting. I think this covers the case where you get out of the car and then simply close the door. The handles eventually retract, but the car is still in an unlocked state.

IMG_394E8A7C7AD1-1.jpeg
That's possible.

I'll try it again and check the Connect app to see if it is, in fact, unlocked. That's probably the only way to know for sure.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It would be nice if it could be linked to GPS as well. I'd prefer not to have my car locked in my garage but would like the feature otherwise.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Of course,Tesla has the butt-in-chair sensor to help decide if the driver has in fact vacated but not sure that’s really a requirement to make the decision.
I did like the tesla method, I parked the car and walked away. the taycan I go through the process of powering it down and locking the door. If I let it lock itself the mirrors don't retract.

buruburu

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
T
I'll try it again and check the Connect app to see if it is, in fact, unlocked. That's probably the only way to know for sure.

The Connect app has a lot of delays so I typically roll my eyes at whatever it says. Plus there's also been multiple times where it has said the window was open when I knew that it wasn't.

Better to check by leaving your key far away from the car, then go to it and see if you can open the door.

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here are my "rules":

1. Make sure key is in my pocket.
  2. Make sure its in a different pocket to my iPhone. If key and phone are too close – it won't work.
  3. Just push on the "dimple", not swipe.
Agreed with this. So far 100% success rate with this. Works like a charm (unlike the frunk)

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Agreed with this. So far 100% success rate with this. Works like a charm (unlike the frunk)
I've been trying it over the last few days and it hasn't been 100% for me, still sometimes takes a couple attempts. Are you guys actively trying to make sure you press the material on the inside of the dimple? I try to use the tip of my finger so it's more "pointy" and thus has a higher chance of actually getting inside the dimple, as opposed to just using the flat part of the finger (ie as if I were giving a fingerprint).

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Odd, I use my thumb 95% of the time with zero issues.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
2021 Taycan TS

What's the secret to locking the car using a finger swipe on the door handle?

I think I'm doing something wrong. Swiping my finger on the indentation of the driver's side door handle works sometimes but not others. Same with the other door handles, so I'm guessing it's not a bad sensor in the driver door. Is it something about how the key is positioned? It's just resting contently in my pocket.

The salesman taught me to swipe, but the Good to Know app, in the locking section, shows a video of a white, angel-like creature pressing the indentation rather than swiping. Is there some trick to it? The written documentation compromises by saying the handle indentation should be "touched." Presumably not in the figurative/emotional sense, but literally touched. I still have had little luck.

It brings to mind the TV show "Happy Days" where Fonzi was able to stop and start a jukebox by hitting it with his fist. But it had to be done just right. If he wasn't feeling "cool" that day, the technique failed. It occurs to me that there might be similar forces at play here.

Thanks in advance.
I didn't even know that my car had this feature!!! I have been taking the fob out of my pocket and using it to lock the car. So, this AM I touched the dimple and voila!!!! The car locked. The things that you learn on this forum!!! I am guessing that the representative at the dealership showed the feature to me along with all of the other things/features that the car has but it just went over my head.?
Sponsored