Where's the WiFi Menu?

pod1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
With regard to the Porsche connect app, WiFi and its connectivity this is what I see and wondering if everyone sees the same thing. Or do I have a faulty PCM.
Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 69751C16-6B4D-4526-BAC4-885A1B504C1C
Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? B24631D0-7DA0-4642-A965-BA9E9306A357
Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? E2E137D0-063A-4EF6-BC99-A7853D560F43
Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 2DC454F3-20A8-4217-B383-1335E106A4FE
Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? FF5B2BC1-61CB-479D-838C-E4A49687908E

Fig 1. Home WiFi not connected and the screen says no connection to the PCM yet I can still start the climate control from the app.
Fig 2. Home WiFi connected and same message on the phone.
Fig 3. I go to the car and lose the home WiFi.
Fig 4. In the car I connect to the cars WiFi/hotspot and see that the connection to the PCM is now successful.
Fig 5. Connect Apple Car play and is successful.
What do you make of it?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
...What do you make of it?
Did you read this whole thread?

- Your phone can not get Internet Access via the car's WiFi Hotspot.

- Your car can not connect to your home WiFi.

- Your car connects to the Internet via its onboard LTE 4G connection

- Your car will exchange data with the Porsche Servers (in the cloud) as long as it has decent LTE reception

- If your car can connect to the Internet - and your phone can connect to the internet (via your home WiFi or Its own Mobile LTE/4G) - then you should have limited access/control over SOME of the cars settings and functions (Climate Control, Charging Settings, etc) via the Porsche Connect App and/or the Online Porsche Connect Portal...

IOW: The exchange of data is done in the cloud. As long as your car and your phone can both get to the Internet they should be able to exchange data via the Porsche Servers.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Did you read this whole thread?

- Your phone can not get Internet Access via the car's WiFi Hotspot.

- Your car can not connect to your home WiFi.

- Your car connects to the Internet via its onboard LTE 4G connection

- Your car will exchange data with the Porsche Servers (in the cloud) as long as it has decent LTE reception

- If your car can connect to the Internet - and your phone can connect to the internet (via your home WiFi or Its own Mobile LTE/4G) - then you should have limited access/control over SOME of the cars settings and functions (Climate Control, Charging Settings, etc) via the Porsche Connect App and/or the Online Porsche Connect Portal...

IOW: The exchange of data is done in the cloud. As long as your car and your phone can both get to the Internet they should be able to exchange data via the Porsche Servers.
Too bad someone hasn't done a technical teardown of a taycan (or has Porsche internal technical documentation)- I would love to know the internal IO connection of the com bus, wifi chipset, lte chipset, PCM cpu, memory, storage and OS... I could tell a lot of what we can expect from Porsche based upon that info..- would love to see there internal API docs as well as they have third parties writing a lot of their software- the recent post on the apple music integration was interesting because while it provided some info (e.g they were writing in javascript and using agile sw development).. it also made me think on how they were QA'ing these disparate development efforts and coordinating sw updates -lot of challenges with the path they are taking and probably a huge reason for the sw bugs and problems we are seeing.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Most important ones are the ones on the left side.
Your communication is just perfectly fine.
Sometimes I don't have connection but still my timers come through.
It's not always as it seems.
Since my new OTA-module the connection is stable and sending timers are a succes in the first try.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan on Friday and still exploring the PCM. When I logged into https://connect-portal.porsche.com this morning, I noticed I have the option to subscribe to WiFi Hotspot for $20/Month through Verizon after 1 month trial. I subscribed and would now expect to have a hotspot in the car. The details indicate up to 6 devices and unlimited data. It will start throttling at 15GB/Month.

Because wireless Apple Car Play relies on wifi connectivity to the car, any internet would have previously been over my phone's cellular network. I'm now curious if data will now go through the vehicle or continue my phone's wireless plan.

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 2021-01-25_9-41-17

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
I picked up my Taycan on Friday and still exploring the PCM. When I logged into https://connect-portal.porsche.com this morning, I noticed I have the option to subscribe to WiFi Hotspot for $20/Month through Verizon after 1 month trial. I subscribed and would now expect to have a hotspot in the car. The details indicate up to 6 devices and unlimited data. It will start throttling at 15GB/Month.

Because wireless Apple Car Play relies on wifi connectivity to the car, any internet would have previously been over my phone's cellular network. I'm now curious if data will now go through the vehicle or continue my phone's wireless plan.

2021-01-25_9-41-17.jpg
OK.....what did the $20. buy you? :)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
If you subscribe to a data service you can then facilitate internet access for any connected device connected to the car’s WiFi hotspot. For most this has limited value as you can either use the device’s own subscription or share a mobile phone subscription via the phone’s hotspot.

So really for tablets / gamers on the move wanting to get their fix whilst you drive.

For Apple Music it is different as the car has this integrated and so not dependent on your phone or any additional data subscription. You need to link your Apple ID to your Porsche ID to do this. You can use an existing Apple ID or use one as part of the 6 month free music from Porsche. You do not need your phone for this or for Apple Podcasts (as long as you have linked your accounts). Once done both will appear on your media screen.

Last edited:

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you subscribe to a data service you can then facilitate internet access for any connected device connected to the car’s WiFi hotspot. For most this has limited value as you can either use the device’s own subscription or share a mobile phone subscription via the phone’s hotspot.

So really for tablets / gamers on the move wanting to get their fix whilst you drive.

For Apple Music it is different as the car has this integrated and so not dependent on your phone or any additional data subscription. You need to link your Apple ID to your Porsche ID to do this. You can use an existing Apple ID or use one as part of the 6 month free music from Porsche. You do not need your phone for this or for Apple Podcasts (as long as you have linked your accounts). Once done both will appear on your media screen.
I assume I need the Data package as well to use Apple Music in the car, right?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I assume I need the Data package as well to use Apple Music in the car, right?
Absolutely not - no additional data package is required.

Apple Music is integrated into the PCM but requires activation using your existing Apple ID or if new to Apple you need to create one. Either way the process is simple.

On new cars Porsche offered 6 months free Apple Music but if you already have this then you can simply ignore this step and link your Apple ID to your Porsche Connect ID.

On the PCM within Media there is an icon for Apple Music and Apple Podcasts. Doing each one in turn touch and follow the instructions. A QR code is generated which you then scan with your phone to invoke the account linking process (use the phone which is your master for Apple as you will need to authorise the device).

The inbuilt LTE (cellular) module within each Taycan will provide the data connectivity needed to stream both Apple Music and Apple Podcasts (everything else is blocked).

There are instructions on My Porsche’s portal (scroll down the screen to see the Apple offer for example.

The data package is only required for sharing the car’s WiFi hotspot to other devices e.g. tablets / consoles where there is no other means of connectivity. In general, this is never required but is there if needed and a hotspot from a phone can’t be provided.

All other Porsche services which you subscribe to and require connectivity will use the onboard LTE module for data without anything additional required (same as per Apple for example).

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? B079AAE4-3A4E-4ECE-8B56-7DD8693F76B6

Last edited:

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Absolutely not - no additional data package is required.

Apple Music is integrated into the PCM but requires activation using your existing Apple ID or if new to Apple you need to create one. Either way the process is simple.

On new cars Porsche offered 6 months free Apple Music but if you already have this then you can simply ignore this step and link your Apple ID to your Porsche Connect ID.

On the PCM within Media there is an icon for Apple Music and Apple Podcasts. Doing each one in turn touch and follow the instructions. A QR code is generated which you then scan with your phone to invoke the account linking process (use the phone which is your master for Apple as you will need to authorise the device).

The inbuilt LTE (cellular) module within each Taycan will provide the data connectivity needed to stream both Apple Music and Apple Podcasts (everything else is blocked).

There are instructions on My Porsche’s portal (scroll down the screen to see the Apple offer for example.

The data package is only required for sharing the car’s WiFi hotspot to other devices e.g. tablets / consoles where there is no other means of connectivity. In general, this is never required but is there if needed and a hotspot from a phone can’t be provided.

All other Porsche services which you subscribe to and require connectivity will use the onboard LTE module for data without anything additional required (same as per Apple for example).

B079AAE4-3A4E-4ECE-8B56-7DD8693F76B6.png
Aha! I've done all that, but when I click on the Apple Music tab it says "Select from a playlist" but everything is empty. Will give it another look then and if it doesn't work check it out during WMA5 in a few weeks. Thx! :)