Why can't I close trunk with the remote?

mod72346

First Name
Mod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
I'm standing next to the car, and the trunk is open. Why In the world can't I close it with the remote control??? They are making tech when car can park itself in and out, and they can't make the freaking trunk close???
Sponsored

thinkbusiness

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
They are probably (and rightfully) assuming that you or at least someone is actually at the car when you need the trunk to be open. (Because you either need to put something in or take something out). That person can easily close the trunk (also when it’s not you) with the button.

On my current car I do have the nice option to use a foot swipe under the car to open/close it. Very handy for when you are alone and you are carrying a big box.

Reactions: B61

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
There are many scenarios where one wants to use the remote to close the trunk. I also just discovered this stupidity yesterday and got a little frustrated.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
There are many scenarios where one wants to use the remote to close the trunk. I also just discovered this stupidity yesterday and got a little frustrated.
Probably because of security.
imagine a curious child, looking inside the trunk….

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm standing next to the car, and the trunk is open. Why In the world can't I close it with the remote control??? They are making tech when car can park itself in and out, and they can't make the freaking trunk close???
By design and ever since Porsche had powered tailgates and trunks (quite some years).

I suspect there's a safety rationale behind this.

Note also that if you have PVTS+ (tracker fob) then you can't close the boot / tailgate with the button, key fob or foot gesture unless you are in close proximity to the car and have both key and fob present. Same scenario may hold true if you don't have PVTS+ and therefore the key fob must be present at a minimum. Without it only partial closing is possible.

siglo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I was surprised that Porsche does not allow closing the trunk from the remote just like you when I first tried it. I thought first it was for safety concerns, then that idea was completely dismissed once I learned you can actually close the trunk from inside your vehicle using the screen. If it safety related, allowing closing the trunk from the remote is safer since you can be outside to verify visually that nothing is in the way. From inside the vehicle, you can't do that at all.

I'm curios to why they did that and if that is the case with all Porsche vehicles. I own other vehicles from different makers and I can close the trunk using the remote. The Taycan is my first Porsche.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Isn't it possible with the app? Or only open?

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
It is not what you are asking, but you may close the trunk/boot from the car as long as it is in park from the center console. You must keep it pressed for it to fully close it.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I know people try to explain it with some safety rational, which as @siglo points out doesn't hold up to full scrutiny. I suspect there is a much simpler explanation - in the old days trunks only had remote release, i.e. you could pop the trunk lock and the trunk would be opened by some spring loaded mechanism. Closing was only manual, so there was no remote close function. Once the powered trunks came about, it was an option (so not on every trim), so VW didn't bother redesigning the remote user experience, perhaps even keeping it like this on purpose to make it consistent with the non-powered trunks.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I know people try to explain it with some safety rational, which as @siglo points out doesn't hold up to full scrutiny. I suspect there is a much simpler explanation - in the old days trunks only had remote release, i.e. you could pop the trunk lock and the trunk would be opened by some spring loaded mechanism. Closing was only manual, so there was no remote close function. Once the powered trunks came about, it was an option (so not on every trim), so VW didn't bother redesigning the remote user experience, perhaps even keeping it like this on purpose to make it consistent with the non-powered trunks.
Not sure I subscribe to this either.

A simple double tap on the open trunk / boot button on the fob is something I'm sure Porsche / VW could programme given other functions configured from the key fob.

I'll continue to promote the safety angle.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
It is not what you are asking, but you may close the trunk/boot from the car as long as it is in park from the center console. You must keep it pressed for it to fully close it.
That's not remote (from a distance) which was the query.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag

wait.. not even open the trunk?

My wife or kids wants to access sometimes then I use the Tesla app now to open it. Sad

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Not sure I subscribe to this either.

A simple double tap on the open trunk / boot button on the fob is something I'm sure Porsche / VW could programme given other functions configured from the key fob.

I'll continue to promote the safety angle.
It's all just speculations, yours or mine. I work with automotive manufacturers, both legacy and newcomers like Tesla. While for Tesla adding a double tap on a remote could only take few weeks (maybe months today) and be deployed over the air, legacy automakers have many processes, and many suppliers. Adding a double tap might involve multiple suppliers to modify firmware (which in turn requires RFEs, specs, quotes, budgeting, etc), then a bunch of impact evaluations, what about using the same double-tap on non-powered trunks (they share a lot of parts with cars across the price range), then safety evaluation (can it hurt anyone), all affected firmwares re-certification, etc, etc. Making changes during the design phase is also easier than after the platform is in production.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
wait.. not even open the trunk?

My wife or kids wants to access sometimes then I use the Tesla app now to open it. Sad
Yes open with fob or from inside car. Can't close from fob but can from inside car.
Sponsored