Why does one need a wall charger vs just a cable.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Maybe there is something wrong with the power infrastructure, maybe an issue with ground connection or something else. This kind of error is not normal.
Not PCM related. Possibly the charge port or earthing as mentioned though that would always be an issue until resolved.

Does it work fine on regular public AC chargers?

Same issue on either port?
Sponsored

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
If one has a PMC which serves the role of a J-1772 compliant EVSE, what is the incremental value of a ClipperCreek or other EVSE over the PMC?
If you want more than 9.6kW in the US you must use a hardwired connection. 14-50 outlets are only rated to 50A, i.e. 40A continuous.

Per code, all electrical outlets in a garage must be GFCI-protected. GFCI breakers are not required for hardwired EVSEs.

If you want to charge multiple EVs on the same electrical circuit, you can opt for two or more "load-sharing" EVSEs that will communicate with each other. When charging two EVs on a single 60A circuit (48A sustained), both will charge at 24A (~5.8kW), keeping the total at 48A. Then when one finishes, the one that's still going will increase to 48A (~11.5kW).

There is the possibility to allow the local electric utility to provide "hints" to your EVSE about when it should or should not allow your car to charge.

For me, it was nos. 1 and 3.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Not PCM related. Possibly the charge port or earthing as mentioned though that would always be an issue until resolved.

Does it work fine on regular public AC chargers?

Same issue on either port?
Charging at any external charger works fine in both sides.

I agree that it's likely not the PMC+. As you guys suggested, it could be the power outlet in the garage OR I actually think that the very weak cellular signal in my garage may cause an issue managing to profile. I'm moving in a month so I'll check at the new place and report back.

In any event, it has not colored my experience. Extraordinary car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Charging at any external charger works fine in both sides.

I agree that it's likely not the PMC+. As you guys suggested, it could be the power outlet in the garage OR I actually think that the very weak cellular signal in my garage may cause an issue managing to profile. I'm moving in a month so I'll check at the new place and report back.

In any event, it has not colored my experience. Extraordinary car.
Can't be cell (LTE) related either. If the profile is already set once in the car and active then it's simply down to the Comms between car and charger via the cable. Moot point but sounding like your EVSE installation has an issue.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
Can't be cell (LTE) related either. If the profile is already set once in the car and active then it's simply down to the Comms between car and charger via the cable. Moot point but sounding like your EVSE installation has an issue.
Thanks W1nge. I expect that you're correct. I'd put more effort into resolving it, but as I mentioned, I'm moving in a month. Besides, it works more often than it doesn't.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
If you want more than 9.6kW in the US you must use a hardwired connection. 14-50 outlets are only rated to 50A, i.e. 40A continuous.
Fyi, there are NEMA 14-60 plugs too, from which you can draw 48A continuous.

Porsche Taycan Why does one need a wall charger vs just a cable. 1630402692804

https://www.amazon.com/Bryant-Electric-9460FR-Straight-Receptacle/dp/B003A19LPQ

Per code, all electrical outlets in a garage must be GFCI-protected. GFCI breakers are not required for hardwired EVSEs.
I think that depends on where. In some places the GFCI is required only below a certain height.

Last edited:

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I think that depends on where. In some places the GFCI is required only below a certain height.
It depends on a laundry list of conditions and stipulations, because it's the NEC, so of course it does. There are a lot of "wink-wink" ways around it anyway, and a friendly electrician might guide you toward them.

I realize you're not really disagreeing with me, but my take is that if you're buying an EVSE anyway (as opposed to using the one that comes with the car), and if you're having electrical work done anyway (as opposed to using an existing plug), then there's no reason not to go hardwired.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Fyi, there are NEMA 14-60 plugs too, from which you can draw 48A continuous.

1630402692804.png

https://www.amazon.com/Bryant-Electric-9460FR-Straight-Receptacle/dp/B003A19LPQ

that’s for 3-phase AC power if you read the specification closely.

not saying you couldn’t run residential power through a plug like that - but when I was researching it they are industrial plugs meant for industrial 3-phase power equipment - to date no North American EVSE’s have adopted a NEMA 14-60 or NEMA 15-60 plug type- there has got to be a reason.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Porsche Taycan Why does one need a wall charger vs just a cable. 85DB9199-3A39-4702-97A3-F1F0F1486746

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
that’s for 3-phase AC power if you read the specification closely.

not saying you couldn’t run residential power through a plug like that - but when I was researching it they are industrial plugs meant for industrial 3-phase power equipment - to date no North American EVSE’s have adopted a NEMA 14-60 or NEMA 15-60 plug type- there has got to be a reason.
I have never used it myself, but from what I read 15-60 if for 3-phase, 14-60 is for single phase (or split phase). While no EV charger ships with one, I should be able to get a charger like the OpenEVSE one and fit it with a 60A cable with NEMA 14-60 plug, then install a NEMA 15-60 wall receptacle.
Sponsored