First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Driving in a wet

climate like the UK is challenging for any car. My Aston DB11 was 3.5 years old with full PPF. There were no dirty edges or any imperfections on the vehicle when I sold it back to Aston. In fact you could see your face in the paintwork. The main dealers professional buyer said “he wished every car would had it installed”
Well, in that case they should give a residuals benefit to the Porsche PPF option if configured on finance but as they don’t, its not being paid for by me to give them a factory fresh car back to sell (don’t take me the wrong way, I fully intend to look after it within reason).

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Until I joined this forum I didn't realise one could get ppf added to a car.
I am still in 2 minds about it since it costs more than a set of winter wheels and tyres...
Until I got interested in Taycan (1st Porsche) and joined this forum, I had no idea how many things you could pay for to have added to a car. As one person asking for opinions on options posted here, you guys are making me spend a lot of money on options I didn't know I needed. :p

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
There’s a lot to be said about where the car is driven. I’m in CA where traffic is heinous all the time. I think rocks are kicked up from other cars, causing the damage.
It's not only heavy traffic areas. I had a windshield take some good damage driving on a 2-lane back road. ANY debris in the air/ground you're vehicle is driving through will impact.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Until I got interested in Taycan (1st Porsche) and joined this forum, I had no idea how many things you could pay for to have added to a car. As one person asking for opinions on options posted here, you guys are making me spend a lot of money on options I didn't know I needed. :p
General rule is add at least 20% to base MSRP of a Porsche for options.

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Front only
FWIW, my brother-in-law, who used to own a Porsche repair and racing shop, raced the, and is the owner of multiple Porsches, regrets getting front PPF only. Not for rock and chip protection, but for the ease of care and overall protection from insect acid, bird acid, tree tar, and Redwood stains, etc. The PPF portions of his cars look great and are easily maintained (just power wash it). The rest of the car is a lot of work to maintain (from clay to polish), and begins to show it without constant vigilance.

Which is why I'm going for the whole car. Too many ? and ? in my hood. No ⏳ for deep cleaning and polishing every quarter.

Nmoranda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
[QUOTE="Crick, post: 114682, member: 2947]

Which is why I'm going for the whole car.
[/QUOTE]

Every time I login here I’ve spent more money ? I was budget shopping with the front only.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
The PPF portions of his cars look great and are easily maintained (just power wash it). The rest of the car is a lot of work to maintain (from clay to polish), and begins to show it without constant vigilance.
Every time I login here I’ve spent more money ? I was budget shopping with the front only.
I think ceramic is a good option for making the car easier to clean. I went with front PPF only and ceramic on the whole car (including wheels). It barely gets dirty and washing it is a breeze. 6-7 minutes and I’m done. And ceramic is much less expensive than full PPF.

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Haven't PPFd any previous cars including my Porsche's but thinking about it for the incoming Taycan. If I have PPF/Ceramic coating done as soon as the car comes off the lot, are there any manufacturer warranty implications? Is anything void?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I have PPF/Ceramic coating done as soon as the car comes off the lot, are there any manufacturer warranty implications? Is anything void?
Shouldn’t be. I’ve never heard of that. In fact, the dealer will probably try to sell it to you themselves.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Shouldn’t be. I’ve never heard of that. In fact, the dealer will probably try to sell it to you themselves.
This is absolutely true, they've already mentioned it to me. However, I ordered the front PPF from Porsche so ha ;) I likely will have the entire car ceramic coated.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I likely will have the entire car ceramic coated.
I highly recommend it. I’ve had several cars PPF’d before, but the Tayan is the first one I’ve ceramic coated. I’ll probably ceramic coat every car going forward (unless something better comes out). It’s honestly fantastic.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If your Porsche doesn’t look like this you are not driving it properly.

25083A3E-4F59-4D8F-9C4E-9510A1582AE4.jpeg
You're obviously referring to the extensive PPF wrap. I've got it on my car and after 7K track miles, the paint is in pristine condition. (Other than a few body panels that had to be replaced... ha ha).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I've owned plenty of cars over 50 years, driven 100s of thousands of miles and never had a chipping issue on any of my cars.

My Jeep Rubicon gets driven hard off road and no chip issues to justify thousands of dollars of PPF.

I've owned and driven plenty of cars with "exposed" hoods, lol, yet have no need to spend thousands of dollars on PPF.

I didn't comment on your view of PPF, I could not care less.
Anybody that believes they have driven their cars for 50+ years and several hundred thousand miles without any damage from road debris either doesn't ever exceed 30 mph or has very bad eyesight, or as you say - couldn't care less. The above statements are just ridiculous, and have no benefit in informing people on choices to install PPF or not. Let people who have owned and driven Porsches and have used PPF give their informed opinions.

Last edited:

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think ceramic is a good option for making the car easier to clean.
Absolutely. I’m taking a YOLO stance with this car - optioned Carmine red Turbo S - so will go the distance with PPF and ceramic. The :piggybank: is already broken :CWL:
Sponsored