Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
I had STEk on our car for 18 months. It certainly did its job protecting the windshield, as we had a few nicks and hits over that time. It was very nicely installed with no noticeable distortion, however it was very susceptible to dust, grit and the wipers. Eventually I had it removed as it became so grazed, it was very distracting driving at night.
Easy to remove, but you need to carefully wash the adhesive away with soapy water and a scraper blade.
It did it’s job, lasted for 18 months. Stek doesn’t seem to be available in Canada anymore. I know eXoshield is available..but the installation is very labor intensive and not sure if the price is worth it? Good to hear other’s experience with it.
Sponsored

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
A year might even be generous because it really doesn't last long, but it cost around $500 depending on your installer. I've also seen it cost much more
If it costs that much, how is it better than replacing the windshield? My deductible is $200, and the premium is only $25 more every 6 months than when it was $1k. My ppf installer advised me not to install it, even though his shop offers that service, because you'd have to keep the wipers clean all the time otherwise they'd scratch the film. So, to me not having it is better because it's less maintenance and less expensive.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
If it costs that much, how is it better than replacing the windshield? My deductible is $200, and the premium is only $25 more every 6 months than when it was $1k. My ppf installer advised me not to install it, even though his shop offers that service, because you'd have to keep the wipers clean all the time otherwise they'd scratch the film. So, to me not having it is better because it's less maintenance and less expensive.
I'm in California so it never rains and I don't drive this car in the rain anyway.

It never the same after the replace a windshield and more changes of things going wrong.
I don't want any small marks on my windshield. Cracking the windshield is secondary

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Yeah there is specific film for windscreen - has to be incredibly transparent so as not to distort your vision. It does exist. The downside is that it only lasts a year, due to the wear on it from wipers.

I was just concerned that another layer could make the thermal insulation less effective.

Having given it some thought, at the moment im not going to bother with it. I was only going ahead previously as my installer offered it for free as a bundle with a full PPF for the rest of the car.
My porsche protection package includes Windshield replacement. I am not even buying extra set of rims for winter tires too. I am able to take advantage of the protection package in weeks of owning the car though unfortunately.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I had STEk on our car for 18 months. It certainly did its job protecting the windshield, as we had a few nicks and hits over that time. It was very nicely installed with no noticeable distortion, however it was very susceptible to dust, grit and the wipers. Eventually I had it removed as it became so grazed, it was very distracting driving at night.
Easy to remove, but you need to carefully wash the adhesive away with soapy water and a scraper blade.
It did it’s job, lasted for 18 months. Stek doesn’t seem to be available in Canada anymore. I know eXoshield is available..but the installation is very labor intensive and not sure if the price is worth it? Good to hear other’s experience with it.
I do not believe that there is a product on the market that can withstand the harsh conditions of winter and the grit under the wipers.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
All interesting views. I can see it making a lot more sense where you have very little rain and wouldn’t get much wear from wipers, but it’s a lot of cash for something that needs replacing at least every year. I also see the viewpoint of not wanting to replace the windscreen - even if insurance makes it low cost, it’s a right hassle and it’s true that things might not be quite the same after replacement. Especially if you have lots of options (like HUD and night vision) all which make calibration more complex.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
A year might even be generous because it really doesn't last long, but it cost around $500 depending on your installer. I've also seen it cost much more
My (Stek) has been on for 8+ months with zero defects to date - and I haven't even replaced by wipers for silicone equivalents!

Admittedly far less harsh climate induced dust, snow laden debris etc conditions here in Houston but there def has been an insane amount of road construction so debris is about - but crystal clear to date (and mine ca. $400).

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I tried windshield protection on my GTS - I removed it, I could not deal with the distortion it caused.