bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with windscreen protection film - for example: Invisible Windscreen Protection Film – Clearplex UK

I was considering getting it done alongside my full PPF. However I am not sure if it may negatively affect the Thermal & Noise insulating privacy glass option. Could it reduce its effectiveness, or possibly damage it when removing the film?
Sponsored

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Is it worth it? If damaged just pay access and replace via insurance- got to be cheaper than paying for an uncertifiable PPF that is questionable if it impacts current factory design/performanc.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I was speaking with a PPF firm yesterday and mentioned glass cover.

They don't recommend it for windscreens as wipers etc risk scratching it.

Am off to see them on Tuesday to ask a few more bits and pieces and will cover this again. Will post up.

OP
OP
bn8959

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yeah there is specific film for windscreen - has to be incredibly transparent so as not to distort your vision. It does exist. The downside is that it only lasts a year, due to the wear on it from wipers.

I was just concerned that another layer could make the thermal insulation less effective.

Having given it some thought, at the moment im not going to bother with it. I was only going ahead previously as my installer offered it for free as a bundle with a full PPF for the rest of the car.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Have not heard good things about clearplex but I have STEK and it works well. One thing you must do with it is use silicone wiper blades. OE/pure rubber blades streak the film.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
When I got my car done, I inquired about the windscreen protection. My installer advised that he no longer does them because they dont last….between winter conditions and the abrasion from the debris with the wipers, they look awful quickly and become the source of client complaints.

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
I have it on my Taycan although I now suspect the cowboy fitter who did my widow tints used PPF as there is distortion looking from the inside. I'm getting it replaced after the winter with a brand Xpel sell in France and my PPF installed has it on their car. I've seen it and you can't tell there is a film on. Apparently it's very difficult to fit as it's very thick so a lot of PPF installers are not recommending it s they don't want the hassle.

I also have PPF on my glass roof and full PPF on the whole car.

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
After my PPF on the front-end at Metropolitan Detail (Redmond) I asked about windshield protection. They recommended against that, but did offer Aquapel (link here but you can get it on Amazon too).

I had the detail guy (Metropolitan Detail in the garage at Redmond Town Square) apply Aquapel at the next car cleaning, and it is pretty cool. Water just beads up and blows off, and the windshield is always super clear. It seems to last a long time too - it's been 4 months since I had it last applied and windshield is still beading nicely. My car is going in for a detail tomorrow so I'll check on the frequency of re-application.

After a trip to Yellowstone my wife's Lexus RX had some bad window staining from sulfuric acid in the mist from some geysers. The detail guy we use was able to polish the class to get rid of the staining, then applied Aquapel to the windshield, and it is now much easier to see through in the rain.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Aquapel!! Just a satisfied customer. Also, I'm 100% sure that this will not protect against rocks. 😀

tayCanadian

First Name
Amit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne Coupe E-Hybrid (RIP), 2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I use Exoshield windshield protection film on mine. So far so good, no issues with scratches or distortion in the view.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I wouldn't drive without it. It saved me from replacing my windshield 3x with in my first 1k miles.

I have Stek like @XLR82XS, but Stek is very hard to find now.
ClearPlex is the most common one now. It's just difficult to install and needs to be replaced in less than a year. Still better than replacing a windshield.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
How much does it cost each year?

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I use Exoshield windshield protection film on mine. So far so good, no issues with scratches or distortion in the view.
+1 to Exoshield. My installer was offering one product that did not last and then they brought this one in. They have installed a lot of them on 911s and convertable windshields and so far so good, but someone has to be trained really well to get it installed correctly, mine is not perfect but I prefer it that way vs. none and it already absorbed some rock damage really well. No issue with thermal glass or visibility. The original quote was for $600 but they went up to $800 as they need techs sent to training to Las Vegas and even then they need many installs before being good at it.
Sponsored