tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
it would be interesting to see this chart split between two groups; those with heat pump, and those without. Am sure those without HP have a much higher loss of range in winter

ClubIsolation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
it would be interesting to see this chart split between two groups; those with heat pump, and those without. Am sure those without HP have a much higher loss of range in winter
and Taycan has a heat pump? I’m new here.

ClubIsolation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
Wouldn’t we just assume the Audi E-Tron is pretty close to Taycan expectations?

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I have mentioned this in other threads, but there are a lot of variables to cold weather range. There is a big difference between 32 degrees F, 10 degrees, and -10 degrees. Also, if you have the heater / defrost running full blast, that is very different than keeping it on the cool side. If it is very cold (e.g., -10) and you have the defrost / heater blasting, be prepared to take a big hit. If it is around freezing and you only have the heater going a little, the hit will be more minimal.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Wouldn’t we just assume the Audi E-Tron is pretty close to Taycan expectations?
There are two (completelly) different eTrons:
- SUV
- sedan (similar to taycan).
I don’t know which was tested.

Reactions: Dee

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
There are two (completelly) different eTrons:
- SUV
- sedan (similar to taycan).
I don’t know which was tested.
Audi have screwed up their naming, didn't they? e-tron as a concept code name was cool (cooler than "Mission E/R"), but going to production with it was confusing: "we shall name our base, high-volume CUV 'Bob', and our premium, expensive, different-platform sedan 'Bob GT'. Yeah."

(FWIW, the article seems to refer to the GT, since it calls it "Audi's first all-electric" vehicle.)

Reactions: B61

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Yeah…but afaik, SUV was their first full electric vehicle.
You're right, and that only further highlights the confusion: the vehicle was indeed their first full electric, but on an existing platform. I read "first EV" as "designed from scratch".

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I guess that they didn’t want to loose such a great name :giggle:

ClubIsolation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Country flag
E-Tron is a horrible name. And I know I’m petty, but I’d never by it for that reason. Sounds like a car from a low budget Sci-Fi movie. Taycan is at least in line with how Porsche has named other non-911 cars. I’d have preferred this been the 913 or something, but oh well. I think as more Ev’s come out, manufacturers will be less likely to try to brand them as something stupid just because they are an EV.

I see more E-Tron GT’s in my market though that Taycan’s and they are sure cool! They did a great job of making it look exactly like an Audi, and yet you you stare at it because something is just better.

Last edited:

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is from two years ago on some test runs on my MY2020 4S on 20 inch tires with the covid lockdown when there wasn't much highway traffic. With the uPdate I would expect 3% further range increase but the per cent ages should remain the same. Battery was from 100% SOC to as near as 0% SOC(<5%) as I willing to risk. Highway speed was a constant 115 kph/71.5 mph on cruise control. Pretty flat roads and no head or tail winds. The maximum range was achieved at or around 68F / 20 C. The colder the temps the bigger the hit.

Temperature C/F​
Distance Traveled Km/Miles​
% Reduction in Range​
22.4 C / 71.5 F484 km / 300.8 miles0
11.7 C / 53.1 F419 km / 260.4 miles13.4%
1.2 C / 34.7 F383.2 km / 237.5 miles20.8%
-8.7 C / 16.3 F338 km / 210.1 miles30.2%

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
This is from two years ago on some test runs on my MY2020 4S on 20 inch tires with the covid lockdown when there wasn't much highway traffic. With the uPdate I would expect 3% further range increase but the per cent ages should remain the same. Battery was from 100% SOC to as near as 0% SOC(<5%) as I willing to risk. Highway speed was a constant 115 kph/71.5 mph on cruise control. Pretty flat roads and no head or tail winds. The maximum range was achieved at or around 68F / 20 C. The colder the temps the bigger the hit.

Temperature C/F​
Distance Traveled Km/Miles​
% Reduction in Range​
22.4 C / 71.5 F484 km / 300.8 miles0
11.7 C / 53.1 F419 km / 260.4 miles13.4%
1.2 C / 34.7 F383.2 km / 237.5 miles20.8%
-8.7 C / 16.3 F338 km / 210.1 miles30.2%
These numbers are very similar to what we see on our 22' 4S

str8tner

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'97 Boxster, BMW 3 , Lexus RX 350
Country flag
I get the same numbers for loss of range in cold temperatures, but I have a question. Why can't the Taycan pre-heat the battery while connected to the utility/charger? Would that make a difference? I believe Tesla's can pre-heat the battery.
Sponsored