Extreme cold driving - operational temperature range for the Taycan?

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
It is -3 F to -15 F with wind chills outside around -30 F. I haven’t had to drive much but am wondering if anyone has any reference-able data on operational temperature range for the Taycan, and if it can be trusted in such cold conditions?

I know my Subaru drives fine but the performance is horrible and the standard car battery which is 3 years old does provide a little anxiety every start as it takes a few to fully start the car…
Sponsored

NJ-Taycan

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Don’t have any clinical data, but it’s cold here too in NJ, was around 5 degrees Fahrenheit and my battery temp was 27 degrees. The Taycan powered on and drove as normal. Of course the range and miles per kWh were down but the car warmed up quickly and drove as normal.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I think when initial testing of the Taycan that they operated in colder conditions to what your currently experiencing, but as with most production testing, they can’t simulate all possible varying of age and usage conditions that will are now being faced by many owners.

amamoy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Macan GTS, Range Rover, Ariel Atom
Country flag
About 6 deg in NC last night. Hard to be precise but seemed like range changed from about 210 miles normal to more like 150.

Coming home from dinner in Asheville was worried about range so stopped at EA with about 45% charge and having driven car for 10 min to get there.

20kw charge rate on a 350kw unit. Switched to another 350kw and same thing.

Over about 20 min session made it up to 50kw as everything warmed up but used to 120-150 at that station so bigger drop than Inwas expecting.

Wife was not impressed w waiting in the cold.

I also noticed what seemed to be like a rubbing or clunking when getting close to steering lock turning. Not sure if suspension or rubber bushings just too cold?

Car ran fine driving home no issues.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Biggest problem I found occurred yesterday. This is my third winter with the Taycan. It rained most of the morning into early afternoon. Temps plummeted from 40F to 21F in about two hours. Everything was frozen shut - Trunk, Charging Port Covers, Door handles and windshield wipers. Luckily I was able pull open the drivers door or the car would still be where I left it. What surprised me is that the charging port doors were not heated. I ordered the manual doors just for this reason and eventually got one to open. Truthfully, this is not a Taycan problem, I have had trunks and doors freeze shut after a rain followed by plummeting temps.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Biggest problem I found occurred yesterday. This is my third winter with the Taycan. It rained most of the morning into early afternoon. Temps plummeted from 40F to 21F in about two hours. Everything was frozen shut - Trunk, Charging Port Covers, Door handles and windshield wipers. Luckily I was able pull open the drivers door or the car would still be where I left it. What surprised me is that the charging port doors were not heated. I ordered the manual doors just for this reason and eventually got one to open. Truthfully, this is not a Taycan problem, I have had trunks and doors freeze shut after a rain followed by plummeting temps.
I am also surprised that there aren’t heating elements in sensitive areas for use in extreme cold conditions. There is an inherent benefit in ICE cars as far as heat loss that can become a benefit in some conditions. Hopefully as EV tech matures, they will find a way to capture the heat loss in an EV for use in beneficial ways….like defrosting certain areas of the car’s exterior.

OP
OP
Uknown

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I am also surprised that there aren’t heating elements in sensitive areas for use in extreme cold conditions. There is an inherent benefit in ICE cars as far as heat loss that can become a benefit in some conditions. Hopefully as EV tech matures, they will find a way to capture the heat loss in an EV for use in beneficial ways….like defrosting certain areas of the car’s exterior.
Having the charge port freeze doesn’t surprise me, I don’t have the automatic one but I was told the automatic ones include a small heat element to keep it from freezing…

I found it interesting that the air pumps at basically every gas station here were frozen and didn’t work. I had to pull out my compressor to add air to my other cars tires.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
-15 F is no issue. I have driven in that many times in the Taycan. Range is not going to be great, but the car operates just fine. As stated above, ICE cars have more issues starting in that weather.