Winter daily?

Dylan_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I lI’ve up here in Montréal Canada where we receive a fair amount of snow with snow storms as big as 30-40 cm of snow. Thankfully, the municipal and provincial road maintenance structures are very efficient.

Nonetheless, I have been driving a Panamera 4, a Jaguar F-Type all year long through several winters with no problems. and now the Taycan 4S for the upcoming years.

I have driven often in conditions resembling your pictures.

Winter tires are mandatory here, so no hesitation.
I always size down for winter and my Porsche dealer installed the 20” Pirelli P-Zero’s Elect winter tires.
May I ask how was the experience of your last winter with Taycan?
I'm getting my GTS and trade-in my 16 cayenne
Still not sure if it's worth it for me to do it or not.
Sponsored

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I had the Taycan CT parked out side at a hotel this past January. Overnight freezing rain covered all the cars with a 1/4" thick sheet of ice. Other guests spent 30 to 60 minutes clearing ice and dealing with frozen doors. I turned on the cabin heat from the hotel room and when out to the car an hour later and drove off without fighting the ice. Fortunately, I had a sufficient charge from the night before to do the job. As I recall the SoC dropped a few percentage points.

Pete85

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, X1 hybrid
Country flag
I live in Southern Finland and last winter was a snow chaos. No problems whatsoever. As Panamera Frank said, using dedicated winter tyres is the most important thing. I have two sets of Turbo 20" rims (got the other set really cheap) and store the the rims and tyres at a shop who also changes the tyres and does all the other work regarding tyres if necessary.

In Finland studded tyres are allowed but nowadays winter tyres without studs are so good, that more and more people are using tyres without studs.

My earlier two cars were BMW M3:s, so a Taycan 4S has much better grip. The only thing I am little missing is playing around on a snowy road as that was easier in an rwd vehicle :).

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
When I lived on the east coast, I swapped summer/winter tires every year. When I lived in Silicon Valley, I ran summer tires all year long on my Porsche and all seasons on an SUV. Similar when I lived in Texas. Living in the pacific northwest however, we rarely get snow, and average temperatures don't drop below freezing much, and even if they do, they bounce back up a day or a week or two later. Swapping tires every day or even every week to get optimal performance is just impractical, so I've been running good all season tires since I've lived here, seems to do the trick with only a day or two per winter where I wish I had winter tires (but on those days, as you might have noticed living around here, most people panic when there is an inch of snow on the ground and most people don't leave their homes). However, if I was planning many road-trips into the snow country, then by all means, I would get winter tires for the snow.

PS> Another thing about the pacific northwest is the quality of the roads. I've driven through many states, and Washington state roads are the worst. Last time I drove coast to coast I knew I entered WA state simply by the road feel I get from my sport suspension. When I moved from California to Washington, for the first little while whenever I drove my 911 on I5 or I405, I actually pulled over a few times thinking I had a tire blowout, because if felt exactly like when I did have a tire blowout in CA (my bad, wore right through the tires in under 10K miles in 3-4 months after I picked up my 911). Since then I started buying the smaller wheels with more sidewall to cushion WA roads a bit (also helps not to damage the wheel on the pot holes we have around here). For my Taycan order I'm going with the 20" all-season tire for these reasons. I also plan to use it year round as my daily driver. No plans for any ski trips though.
I live in the PNW as well, but moved here from the east coast. I actually feel like I need snow tires more out here than I did living in New York. Although it does snow less and there's generally fewer days below freezing, I've noticed that when it does snow it leads to much worse conditions due to a lack of preparedness and ability to quickly clear roads of snow and ice. Driving in the east coast it was extremely rare to come across an unplowed highway unless you were literally driving in the middle of a snow storm...whereas I find out here it can take days (even weeks) for roads to be cleared properly. Last year was the first year I put snow tires on our Range Rover and it made a big difference vs the all-seasons. Modern winter tires are good enough that you don't sacrifice as much dry performance as was once the case. On a positive note, the skiing is better out here which is another reason to have snow tires (so you dont get stuck in unplowed ski resort parking lots)
Sponsored