Daily Driver Brakes

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Greetings all,

I have been waffling back and forth between speccing PSCB and PCCB for my GTS build. Let me preface this by stating that I'm aware 90% of braking is done by regen and there are minimal if any performance differences between the two when it comes to stopping power/distance. I hate to say it but Porsche marketing has corrupted my mind and the aesthetics of the PCCBs is winning me over. I'd like to keep the cost of my spec at around $22k for options and PCCB puts me just over, but my primary concern is has anyone had any material issues with PCCBs (damage, lack of feel in inclement weather, etc.)? I've read horror stories of rotors getting chipped and costing a literal Honda Accord to get replaced. This will be my daily and will definitely be driven hard, so I don't want to spec them if it means being overly concerned about damage to the brake rotors.
Sponsored

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Have had carbon ceramics on my 458 and R8. No huge downsides but a bit squeeky and at least on my 458 feel like they need to warm up more for full effect. Not unusable if not of course, but definitely requires more pressure

Know that you already know, but it's a pretty expensive upgrade for just cosmetics...

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve had PCCBs on multiple Porsches. The Internet complaints about them are way overblown and mostly parroted by people who’ve never even owned them. I didn’t spec them on my Taycan because of the regen issue, but I probably would if I were buying a new one today.

Never had any issues with PCCB dead cold or in the wet. And never had any squeals whatsoever. If you bed in brakes properly, you won’t get any squeals. I have PCCBs on my GT4 and they’re fantastic. And dead quiet.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
My 2014 GT3, bought new, had PCCB's. I never experienced a problem with them in 7 years; no issues with damage, noise, cold performance or excessive pedal pressure, and I loved the look of those big rotors and yellow calipers. Almost everyone who saw the car commented on the brakes. The fact that they made zero dust and reduced un-sprung weight was also a plus. And honestly, after I bought the car I never once looked back and wished I hadn't spent the extra money.

So, when I bought my Taycan 4S I went all in on the PCCB's again. I know that they aren't all that necessary on the Taycan, but then neither are options like carbon fiber accents or side skirts or any number of cosmetic things you can spend money on that offer even less performance advantage than PCCB's. Besides I just couldn't bear to go back to standard brakes, and fortunately the PCCB's still look awesome. No regrets this time either.

The replacement cost of the rotors is obviously an issue but unless you drive unpaved roads or are unlucky enough to catch a stone and score one, you will most likely be okay. One thing I would suggest is that if you get PCCB's, do acquire 2 of the "assembly aids" that Porsche recommends in the owner's manual. These are threaded aluminum rods that screw into the hub and help align and support the wheel when removing or installing it, which is when you are most likely to chip a rotor.

Have fun with your decision!

Porsche Taycan Daily Driver Brakes Assembly aids for PCCB.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I appreciate you all's inputs. I'm still on the fence but we'll see as the time approaches. The logical side of me says go PSCB's but the fun side wants the PCCB's lol I may just flip a coin before my freeze date and call it a day.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
am in the exact same dilemma, got for PCCB to ditch the Burmester system, or in reverse.
so what did you end up going for?

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I ended up opting out of the PSCB's. The rotor sizes/caliper sizes were virtually identical to the GTS brakes, and upon reading multiple posters with issues of brake performance in the rain (and it rains all the time in Virginia), I think I made the right choice. At the end of the day the regular brakes will probably outlast my ownership of the car anyways.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I appreciate you all's inputs. I'm still on the fence but we'll see as the time approaches. The logical side of me says go PSCB's but the fun side wants the PCCB's lol I may just flip a coin before my freeze date and call it a day.
PSCB.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ended up opting out of the PSCB's. The rotor sizes/caliper sizes were virtually identical to the GTS brakes, and upon reading multiple posters with issues of brake performance in the rain (and it rains all the time in Virginia), I think I made the right choice. At the end of the day the regular brakes will probably outlast my ownership of the car anyways.
fair enough, the brake performance in the rain is related to the PCCB? i didn't know that

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
fair enough, the brake performance in the rain is related to the PCCB? i didn't know that
The wet weather braking issue affects all Porsches regardless of brake option. I have the issue on my Panamera with std brakes. I also had it on my Macan. The issue is mostly during heavy rain and not every time.

PS, there are several issues/quirks that are reported on this forum that most believe are specific to this Taycan but are really a Porsche thing. This is one of them.

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hmmm I definitely didn’t know that was a cross-model issue. Oh well, my car begins production tomorrow (!) so it’s way passed that point for me, but I know I’ll be happy with my red calipers either way. It won’t make or ”brake” the car :cool:

Hopefully someone somewhere can appreciate a good pun.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hmmm I definitely didn’t know that was a cross-model issue. Oh well, my car begins production tomorrow (!) so it’s way passed that point for me, but I know I’ll be happy with my red calipers either way. It won’t make or ”brake” the car :cool:

Hopefully someone somewhere can appreciate a good pun.
I picked my brakes primarily based on the no cost color of red too. You are not alone. The trick with the other “higher temp” options is that you need to drive the car hard enough to use really use them periodically or they can become a bit of a nuisance.

PS, your pun was not lost on me. 🙂

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The wet weather braking issue affects all Porsches regardless of brake option. I have the issue on my Panamera with std brakes. I also had it on my Macan. The issue is mostly during heavy rain and not every time.

PS, there are several issues/quirks that are reported on this forum that most believe are specific to this Taycan but are really a Porsche thing. This is one of them.
I just finalized my order and went for the PCCB, its just looking too good

OP
OP
Atipical

Atipical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
996 C4S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I just finalized my order and went for the PCCB, its just looking too good
I'm jealous! I LOVE those huge calipers. What paint color did you choose?