JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
I run all seasons during the summer and snows in the winter in Colorado. (It can snow any time of year in Colorado so I never go to summer tires.) I have only driven my Taycan with all seasons in very light snow so far so I don't have a really definitive answer for you, but I suspect you are going to do MUCH better with full snow tires for Toronto. I have driven a bunch in Toronto in the winter - you definitely can get some nasty weather where a full snow tire is going to be best. Over the years I have driven many cars with all season tires in the snow, and most of them were no comparison to full snow tires.
Perfect, great context. Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
The car was bought on consignment so I didn’t get to speak to the owner, he’d spec’d All Seasons so I thought he may know something I didn’t.
If the PO is from a climate where it could get below 7C/45F even in summer, it would make sense to run all-seasons in lieu of a summer tire. I don't think the weather in Toronto is like that, but maybe the car was actually garaged/driven somewhere else and is just being consigned in Toronto.

juuso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Just get good winter tyres for $1000-$1500 and swap them on your existing rims for $100 a time, probably less in the Us. Why do you want a 2nd set of rims?
Some people just like to change up the looks but a second set of rims may actually make sense for practical reasons too. I got a set of winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 - highly recommended!) for my 991 last winter and had them installed on my existing wheels. A combination of low profile tires, a fairly open design wheel, and a warm garage on a cold day with fresh powder snow flying around wasn't the best experience.

The inside of the wheel developed a nice layer of several centimeters of snow, and I sometimes had to stop to brush the snow off in order to prevent the car from shaking like crazy. It'll only happen once per trip when the first snow melts on the warm metal and then freezes over almost immediately, but it's still pretty annoying. Especially combined with an eye-rolling wife on the passenger seat.

I've never had this happen on other cars, and it's the reason I'm considering getting a set of 19" Aeros for winter. Well that, and ride comfort on wintery roads. But I ordered my CT on 20" Turbo S Aero Designs so maybe it's not that bad - if I had the Mission E's I'd certainly consider 20"/19" for winter, depending on the brakes.

Another thing is that not all winter tires come in such big sizes. Up here most people use Nordic compound winter tires (the likes of ContiVikingContact, Michelin X-Ice Snow, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3) or even more typically studded tires (which I never would), and they mostly don't come in large low profile sizes. But I guess this is an issue mostly in Finland, Sweden and Norway as those tires are hardly even sold anywhere else as far as I know.

Reactions: Art

KenTO

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just get good winter tyres for $1000-$1500 and swap them on your existing rims for $100 a time, probably less in the Us. Why do you want a 2nd set of rims?
This is the best option if you have 20" rims, as you can get a set of tires for 2K, unfortunately I have 21" Mission E's, winter tires alone are almost 5K so I went with the 20" Tire/Rim OEM package from Porsche, which was over $7K, as smaller tire recommended in winter.

Ebabins

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hey. I’ll chime back in here. According to my dealer the 4S comes with all season tires for summer because the weight of the car and the torque created can chew up high performance summer tires quickly. All season tires last longer but performance is affected. I don’t track my car so performance is not as important to me. I went with 20 in wheels for winter rubber because tires were much cheaper than 21 in rubber and range is better (important when driving in cold weather, but mostly it was the price).

OP
OP
JonS1234

JonS1234

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Model S Plaid, Model X LR
Country flag
Hey. I’ll chime back in here. According to my dealer the 4S comes with all season tires for summer because the weight of the car and the torque created can chew up high performance summer tires quickly. All season tires last longer but performance is affected. I don’t track my car so performance is not as important to me. I went with 20 in wheels for winter rubber because tires were much cheaper than 21 in rubber and range is better (important when driving in cold weather, but mostly it was the price).
Thanks, that’s a really interesting point and makes sense.

I ended up buying these from the local Porsche service center. They won’t look as good as the Mission E rims but they will allow me to stop. ?

https://tequipment-finder.porsche.c...c=product&pr=D90ACB97B1BBC545C125856600590DF9

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
Hola fellow Canadians,
I‘m picking up a used 2020 Taycan Turbo next week that has Mission E rims and the All Season Tire option.

Anyone else here run the all seasons during Canadian winter? I normally get a second set of winter rims/tires and swap. I’m thinking of just running the stock tires this year but I’m concerned it’s a heavy car and will need the stopping power of good winter tires.

Any advice here would be appreciated.
Here is some advice I hope everyone takes: Buy winter tires for your Taycan if you are driving in snow even sometimes.

I thought I had 4-seasons (sometimes called "no seasons"), but I had summer tires. I slid off the road even going 15 miles an hour, and called my dealer from the top of a snow covered lawn.

I've used all-seasons on other AWD vehicles successfully, but I wouldn't try it on this vehicle. On top of that, Porsche has unfortunately failed to properly tell their buyers what tires they have, at least for early delivery Taycans.

PLA

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag

You might want to see my post above. My early delivery 4S came with summers, even though I thought I ordered all seasons, and the dealer told me they were all seasons. I even looked up the specs on the tire manufacturer's site and called the dealer afterwards, when they told me the second time I was driving on all seasons.

Don't guess these are all seasons. They might be summers.

PLA

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@JonS1234 Happy to show you what I have researched and am looking for. These are designed for a heavy, EV car and in my state I am allowed to put on studded wheels. I am not sure if you regulations allow them or not.
I would imagine that if you can not get studded, that you can get the same tires in a non-studded version. I have always gone with Nokian Hakkapeliita or Blizzak's in the past and never been disappointed. One year I went with the Michelin Alpin and I was not very happy at all. So, back to what I know works well for traction. I then had to take into account the weight of the EV and then saw the EV specific Nokian Hakkapeliita 10 SilentDrive Studded: https://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-10-ev/https:
Another Great Video on their technology:

I already checked and they mfg the standard sizes for the 20" factory wheels (which is what I am going to put them on to....then will keep them dedicated and switch over to Vossen 22" in the summer with the new Michelin Pilot Sport EV's that are coming out: https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-ev)
you might also look at the Nokian Hakkapeliita R3, recommended for EV's: //www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r3/

Here is my other post where I am looking for a little help sourcing these tires...if you have a connect, that would be great! Also has the detail of the tire sizes needed for the Porsche Turbo Aero 20" Factory Wheels:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ship-studded-tires-to-the-us.6861/#post-98732

Last edited:
Reactions: Art

mrdrummergoalie

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm in a snowy part of Ontario, and recently took delivery of my 2021 Taycan 4S. Winter tires in this part of the world are an absolute must. My dealer quoted around $8k for their 19" winter wheel and tire package, which I declined, and after some debate over Nokian vs. Pirelli (I've always been a Nokian guy - IMO they're the best winter tires), I elected to swap my all-seasons the car came with (20") for Pirelli winters. The reason I did this is that the Pirellis were apparently designed specifically for the Taycan. I've always swapped my own tires (on rims), but alas not on my Taycan... The dealer was nice enough to have the tires swapped in time for my delivery appointment.

Porsche Taycan Winter Tire Advice IMG_4148

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
If the tyres are marked "NF0" – like the Pirelli PZero Winter's – then yes they are a Taycan specific tyre.

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
I'm in a snowy part of Ontario, and recently took delivery of my 2021 Taycan 4S. Winter tires in this part of the world are an absolute must. My dealer quoted around $8k for their 19" winter wheel and tire package, which I declined, and after some debate over Nokian vs. Pirelli (I've always been a Nokian guy - IMO they're the best winter tires), I elected to swap my all-seasons the car came with (20") for Pirelli winters. The reason I did this is that the Pirellis were apparently designed specifically for the Taycan. I've always swapped my own tires (on rims), but alas not on my Taycan... The dealer was nice enough to have the tires swapped in time for my delivery appointment.

IMG_4148.jpeg
Where did you buy the Pirelli's from and how much? I got quoted 8k for winter wheels and tires from the dealership too and not sure if I could get it cheaper somewhere else

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
I’m in calgary. I have 2020 4s with stock 21 in rims and all seasons for the summer. I bought 20 inch rims and winter tires. For me it’s a no brainer.
I am also in Calgary. Did you buy the winter rims and tires from the dealership or elsewhere? Wondering if theres a way to avoid paying 8k to the dealership

ktvw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s 2022
Country flag
Not from dealership. Saved 2k.
That’s great! Where did you go? And what kind of tires/wheels did you get?

How has the car been in the Calgary winters?
Sponsored