Would you buy it again?

• Total voters

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
VW slowed down cheaper versions like ID.3 to use short components to produce more expensive models.
Funny, Porsche seems to have done the opposite, at least for the Taycan CT. They make mostly CT4's, some 4S, a handful of Turbo and few handfuls of Turbo S (for all of USA ever).

T on the other side is dumping M3 from their Shanghai factory onto European market.

There are so many constraints in terms of supply, logistics and even politics!
Ability to manufacture is a key attribute of a successful auto manufacturer. If you make only a handful a year, you can make sure your cars are perfect out of the factory. Designing a car, building a factory, and planning logistics to make hundreds of thousands a quarter is a whole different set of skills. Tesla might be having quality issues, experiment on customers, but their strategy allows them to be agile, able to pivot on a dime (short on a computer chip? redesigned in 2 weeks, in production floor on the 3rd week). It absolutely comes with its own set of drawbacks, and in my opinion Tesla has a a few, but on the other hand, would you rather have a car to drive with few issues to fix up, or a poster of a car on a wall and a deposit sitting at a dealer with no interest during record inflation times? To be honest, I would much rather have a Taycan, but after 9 months of waiting for even an allocation, facing possibly up to 2 more years of waiting, if Model S comes with a regular steering wheel with stalks, I'll pick one up, equip it with better brakes (there is even a ceramics kit coming OEM from Tesla this summer), then revisit a Taycan in a few years, along with a lot more competition which should be available by that time.

In a perfect world, Porsche beats the Taycan as a better enthusiast car. But is a real world, where parts are not always perfect out of the factory, natural and man made disasters happen, resiliency may turn out to be more more important than perfection as far as a success factor for an automotive company.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
W
The sales numbers don't say anything. The problem is availability.

If you ordered a BMW i4 in Germany in January 2022, you might not get it in 2023!

VW slowed down cheaper versions like ID.3 to use short components to produce more expensive models. Every dealer is only allowed to sell a few ID.3 based on a quota system.

T on the other side is dumping M3 from their Shanghai factory onto European market.

There are so many constraints in terms of supply, logistics and even politics!
Whatever.
Tesla model 3 has no direct equivalents I am aware of. It is a car, not a crossover or SUV.
The Taycan too. It has no direct EV competitor that I could find.

I don’t want a crossover or SUV but a car with a boot is inconvenient for me and my dog, so an estate car or saloon with a hatchback was what I was looking for.

There are hardly any!