FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Love love love love my Taycan 4S. Here's when it's clean (for a few hours anyway) ...

(Cherry Red Metallic with the Mission E wheels)

Porsche Taycan Would you buy your Taycan again? 2021 Taycan 4S - 1

Re: Rear wheel steering, OOPS WRONG: mistaken -- I did add the FOD steering upgrade LATER through software purchase and glad I did, it really helps with parking at low speeds.

I don't have the thermal/insulation glass, the car is already unbelievably quiet inside and I really enjoy the calm and serene driving experience with this car.

I just wish people would quit trying to race me at red lights. It's just so embarrassing for their girlfriends/wives...

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I called you a fanboy because you did exactly what a fanboy does. Let’s refresh:

1. You’re a Tesla owner who went on a forum of another make to discuss a car you don’t own.

2. You posted comments about the perceived shortcomings of the car that you don’t own.

3. The comments, as expected, were software related.

4. When others debated your point, you doubled down in a manner that clearly showed a limited understanding of performance cars.

5. When people pointed that out, you posted links to videos of Teslas beating cars in a straight line and made comments about ‘superior performance.’

Sorry but that’s straight out of the Tesla troll playbook, whether you realize it or not.
I see. I don't have a troll playbook, but I'll take your word for it. I would also suggest you stop reading my posts, as I come to this forum to learn, share, and discuss a car I am looking to purchase, however I don't wear the metaphorical blinders thinking Porsche (or any car) is perfect, so reading my posts may trigger you.

Last edited:

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Could be worse. There’s a guy on Rennlist who’s filing a lemon law claim because he’s been waiting 21 whole days to get Porsche to install a new SIM card so his app will work. Says he loves the car but is fed up after 21 days not being able to control charging from his phone…

scav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo (2022)
Country flag
@whitex just give up. This will lead nowhere, you are engaging with people who seriously believes that a Taycan is basically a 40 year old 911 with just the ICE replaced by magic and a battery and that software is only running their apple music integration - nothing more.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
you are engaging with people who seriously believes that a Taycan is basically a 40 year old 911
In a way, it is. It’s Porsche’s history that allows them the capability to make the Taycan such a great car.

Yes, there’s lots of software, but ultimately it’s role as it relates to driving is as a control system. In that application, it’s upper limit is hardware based. To say it’s “all software” is a ridiculous position.

I can take an open loop async motor control and guess it’s position by integrating the VFD output modified by the current to tell me slip, but it’s not going to be as good as a Sin/Cos encoder interpolated to a resolution of 2^21 counts per rev. Point being hardware matters and no amount of software updates will change that.

And Porsche’s starting point there is really strong informed by their history, including decades of 911. ?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Love love love love my Taycan 4S. Here's when it's clean (for a few hours anyway) ...

(Cherry Red Metallic with the Mission E wheels)

2021 Taycan 4S - 1.jpeg

Re: Rear wheel steering, I did add that as an option LATER through software purchase and glad I did, it really helps with parking at low speeds.

I don't have the thermal/insulation glass, the car is already unbelievably quiet inside and I really enjoy the calm and serene driving experience with this car.

I just wish people would quit trying to race me at red lights. It's just so embarrassing for their girlfriends/wives...
You can add power steering plus as function on demand but that does not include rear wheel steering. Still it makes a big difference on steering.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
In a way, it is. It’s Porsche’s history that allows them the capability to make the Taycan such a great car.

Yes, there’s lots of software, but ultimately it’s role as it relates to driving is as a control system. In that application, it’s upper limit is hardware based. To say it’s “all software” is a ridiculous position.

I can take an open loop async motor control and guess it’s position by integrating the VFD output modified by the current to tell me slip, but it’s not going to be as good as a Sin/Cos encoder interpolated to a resolution of 2^21 counts per rev. Point being hardware matters and no amount of software updates will change that.

And Porsche’s starting point there is really strong informed by their history, including decades of 911. ?
Jhenson29 just give up. You are engaging with people who think high performance automotive design is simply software code…

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@whitex just give up. This will lead nowhere, you are engaging with people who seriously believes that a Taycan is basically a 40 year old 911 with just the ICE replaced by magic and a battery and that software is only running their apple music integration - nothing more.
Taycan’s your first Porsche, ain’t it…:CWL:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think anyone suggested it's all software. It is however becoming more and more software. Taycan is at the point where software engineering investment is greater than the mechanical engineering. The nice thing is software can evolve quicker - for example battery management strategy can change based on collected data, drive trains actually do become more efficient with software through various techniques, some involving actual inverter software, others by engaging/disengaging the motors differently (e.g. while coasting), etc. It's not just Tesla's has in the past upgraded software to gain more range, Ford Mach E did that last year, and IIRC Taycan's also had some efficiency improvements via software since its first release.

Exactly, the hardware defines the upper bound of performance, however software usually only approaches that ceiling, never quiet reaching it, but getting better and better with each iteration/optimization. Sometimes however, through new algorithms, you may find that upper bound was even higher than you originally thought - here is an example: when Model 3's first came out, in usual Tesla tradition they were shipped as soon as possible only testing it in California, meaning they have never seen any actual winter temperatures. When people started reporting their windows freezing up when parked, a software solution fixed the bad mechanical design - they simply periodically moved the windows down and back up a small distance whenever the temperatures dropped below freezing. I bet the mechanical designers never planned for this, they would tell you to change the mechanical design, and yet, software raised the hardware capabilities of that window design. Btw, software could have come to the rescue of the Taycan's reported alarm problems too. Had they had the rapid OTA and remote diagnosites/telemetry capabilities like Tesla, they could have identified the faulty sensor and sent an update allowing people to disable the use of said sensor until it's replaced with a fixed one, instead of customers dealing with the issue for months. They will get there, hopefully sooner than later, unless of course the dealers get in their way, like they are trying to do in West Virginia:
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/2...ers-from-sending-ota-updates-to-customer-cars/

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? Sounds like it with exchanges like the below:
It's not ALL software, like an iPhone. It absolutely needs hardware to run on, but would not be worth anywhere near as much without any software to enable the hardware. Even if it came with some free OS preloaded, I guarantee you it would not sell as many units at as high of a price.
Sponsored