Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
Electrify America completes 400 EV charging stations – about twice as fast as Tesla Supercharger rollout

Feb 3, 2020

Electrify America confirmed that they completed the installation of their first 400 EV charging stations only 20 months after starting the deployment. Their rollout is about twice as fast as Tesla’s Supercharger network.

The EV charging infrastructure company, which was started by Volkswagen as part of its settlement with the US over the Dieselgate scandal, plans to deploy one of the most extensive electric car charging network in the US.

They started deployment less than 2 years ago and today, they confirmed that they have already achieved their initial goal of deploying 400 stations, including over 1,700 charge points.

Brendan Jones, COO of Electrify America, confirmed the news to Electrek, but he clarified that while all the stations are deployed, some of them still need to be activated and are awaiting approval from the local electric utility.

The deployment is impressive.

For comparison, Tesla’s Supercharger network, which is arguably the world’s best EV fast-charging network, had only 225 Supercharging stations two years into the start of the deployment.

Giovanni Palazzo, president and CEO of Electrify America, commented on the announcement:
“We are laser-focused on providing our customers with a high-quality charging experience. Today’s drivers need assurances that they will have access to fast and reliable charging services, and that’s what we’re working to deliver. We are incredibly proud of our progress to this date, and we’ll continue to build out our brand-neutral network to be able to serve even more EV drivers where they live, work, and travel.”
It’s only the start of Electrify America.

Jones told Electrek that there are currently more than 100 stations permitted and another 150 in various phases of design and engineering.

All of the company’s fast-charging stations are equipped to charge vehicles at up to 350 kW – even though most electric cars on the road today can’t receive that much power.

The company says that they are planning for the future EV fleet as much as 5 years ahead.

As we previously reported, Electrify America has many partnerships with companies to deploy charging stations, like Walmart and Target.

On the auto industry side, the company is partnered with several automakers, like Lucid Motors, Porsche, Audi, Ford and more.

They are also working with Tesla to deploy Powerpacks at over 100 charging stations in order to reduce their demand charges, which is an important part of their operating cost.

Via Electrek
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
This is great but a little bit clickbate...... Tesla had no money and there was nothing of the sort at the time....... so if EA was not deploying at least this fast it would be a joke. IMHO. :)

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The article then goes on to say "Electrify America is proud to also announce that 4 of those stations actually work at rates above 50KW!"

:):rolleyes:

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is great but a little bit clickbate...... Tesla had no money and there was nothing of the sort at the time....... so if EA was not deploying at least this fast it would be a joke. IMHO. :)
I don't follow your logic. They are deploying far faster even though there are alternatives in the market. Compared to Tesla who deployed slower when there were no alternatives for drivers. I rather have the first.

GAS X

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y
Country flag
I don't follow your logic. They are deploying far faster even though there are alternatives in the market. Compared to Tesla who deployed slower when there were no alternatives for drivers. I rather have the first.
I think he was trying to say all EA has to do is pick a site and build. They are prefunded with money from the fine; they know where the money is coming from and there is not much downside to not doing anything rapidly. The sites are out there but the ones I have seen are rarely used. On the other hand, Tesla was designing and building cars; planning for and hoping there was a future; selecting sites for deployment; and whatever else goes on there and having to allocate funds to make it all happen.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Video that I saw come up last night. EA Celebrating 100 sites in California and announcing 800 Electrify America sites by end of 2021.
Another good link for those who like analytics (like I do): US Department of Energy: Alternative Fuels Data Center: EV Charging Site DB afdc.energy.gov

Query for Electrify America yields "409 stations, 1,819 charging outlets", so 4.5 chargers/site avg. Tesla Superchargers yields "785 stations, 7,516 charging outlets" with an average of 10/site but the sites are often in more remote locations which is good & bad.

Sponsored