My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today!

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
the auto selection will only slow the car in response to traffic ahead of you, it will not act like a tesla does. if you are expecting any sort of one peddle driving the taycan may not be for you. like I noted in my earlier post I found the adaption to the taycan to be fast and easy after driving teslas for many years.
Except he can just turn recuperation on, rather than auto. That will probably give him most of what he’s looking for.
Sponsored

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
Except he can just turn recuperation on, rather than auto. That will probably give him most of what he’s looking for.
Im on my way to the showroom now to test drive the 4S again with this option tests more.
Will test with ON and AUTO both to see how it works.
Hope I get used to it sooner :)

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
My 2 cents as a enthusiast, Engineer, and life long car lover raised in Detroit Michigan.

When I was 28 years old (1998) I owned a 1985 911 and 2 1985 Corvettes. Living in Tennessee and working as a TRW (now ZF) steering design engineer 60 miles away on a 2 lane commute through the Appalachian mountains everyday.

The 911 was like driving a 100 mph “go cart” to work every day. When comparing the 911 to the Vettes, classifying them both as cars did not do the 911 justice.

I have longed to be able to travel in a high speed “go cart” again.

But in 2011 I fell in love with electric cars when I bought a Chevy Volt. Then I fell even more when I bought my 2013 Model S (I still have). I will never buy a gas car again, but maybe I can have my cake and eat it too.

A 100mph Electric “go cart”…..

Mine is being built this week.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
Actually, it coast better than most ICE cars. One of my favorite features. Like you, I'm glad they didn't try to emulate Tesla.
Agree. I swear sometimes it is on cruise control that it coasts so far with no degradation in speed. It's sic!

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2 cents as a enthusiast, Engineer, and life long car lover raised in Detroit Michigan.

When I was 28 years old (1998) I owned a 1985 911 and 2 1985 Corvettes. Living in Tennessee and working as a TRW (now ZF) steering design engineer 60 miles away on a 2 lane commute through the Appalachian mountains everyday.

The 911 was like driving a 100 mph “go cart” to work every day. When comparing the 911 to the Vettes, classifying them both as cars did not do the 911 justice.

I have longed to be able to travel in a high speed “go cart” again.

But in 2011 I fell in love with electric cars when I bought a Chevy Volt. Then I fell even more when I bought my 2013 Model S (I still have). I will never buy a gas car again, but maybe I can have my cake and eat it too.

A 100mph Electric “go cart”…..

Mine is being built this week.
Also raised in Detroit and had my share of "muscle cars." I always thought I'd end up with a vette but got stung by the Porsche first. First was the 914, then 944, finally 911S Cab. I know what you mean! I thought I would miss my 911 on getting the Taycan. I do miss the convertible feature, but the car is amazing in so many other ways. You won't regret it.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP

Am I right in assuming you have only ever owned a Tesla?

Your approach is from a very Tesla take on driving. Not the rest of the automotive world.

The Taycan is very intuitive for me coming from non Tesla cars in the past (BMW/Audi etc).

For example, I like having all the windscreen wiper options on a stalk and not via a menu in the screen.

Its also worth remembering that the chief designer of the Taycan stated that he drove all other electric cars, but his only benchmark was the Porsche 911.
It says a lot.

I also think you may just be happier with your Tesla.
Didn't know this...I am coming off 12 years driving a 911S...no wonder I love this car so much!

AV7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I just wish I won't regret spending 2x price than my current tesla which does everything 100% perfect already.
If its 100% perfect then why do you want to change? Also comparing a model 3 to a taycan is just wrong! 2 totally different animals.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan is a sports car, so underneath all the metal and leather is this idea that the soul of the car is to race.

On Teslas, regen automatically applies when you take your foot off the gas pedal, this "lift-off" effect can drastically worsen the car's handling and would be a disaster in racing.

Of course having some regen is easier to drive so on the Taycan you can turn it on or off or auto (based on car in front of you)

CygnusX-1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hey buddy—I’ve read this concern in some of your other posts about a missing “Hold” function. I want to be very clear and put this to rest as it seems you’ve misunderstood how the Taycan actually works. Your concern about wearing down brake pads due to having to continuously hold the brake is not true:

As you drive, your foot is on the accelerator pedal. When you want to stop, you press the brake pedal until your speed reaches zero. Once you hit zero, you simply press your foot down another centimeter or so for a split second and the car then enters ”Hold” feature instantly. You can then take your foot off the brake and the Taycan will not move or creep. It is so easy. If you come to a stop that you know will be very brief, you may not want to put it in Hold, so this implementation of the Taycan Hold feature allows you to decide which stop scenarios you actually want to Hold. For a longer stop light, I like to Hold. Once in Hold, when you’re ready to drive, you simply press the accelerator and you take off very smoothly. Remember, most of the normal braking is controlled electronically with recuperation, so your brake pads are not engaged or wearing out.
This comment is gold. Thank you.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Taycan is a sports car, so underneath all the metal and leather is this idea that the soul of the car is to race.

On Teslas, regen automatically applies when you take your foot off the gas pedal, this "lift-off" effect can drastically worsen the car's handling and would be a disaster in racing.

Of course having some regen is easier to drive so on the Taycan you can turn it on or off or auto (based on car in front of you)
99.99% of owners will use the Taycan on the road and public streets only. Hardly 1 our of 100 maybe be taking it to the track or for racing.
On my 1st drive itself, I felt like I had to keep braking every now and then so I dont hit the car in front
Guesss just have to get used to the REGEN AUTO or ON till Porsche adds it as a option maybe.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
99.99% of owners will use the Taycan on the road and public streets only. Hardly 1 our of 100 maybe be taking it to the track or for racing.
On my 1st drive itself, I felt like I had to keep braking every now and then so I dont hit the car in front
Guesss just have to get used to the REGEN AUTO or ON till Porsche adds it as a option maybe.
Porsche will never have full one foot driving on their EVs. They’ve made that pretty clear.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you understand so little of the porsche brand or it’s appeal…check out my profile pic.

Porsche makes cars that are ready for maximum performance at any time with no preparation unlike other vendors - one pedal driving is just _ONE_ example that is not ready for maximum performance - there are other’s we won’t go into.

Porsche Taycan My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today! F7597CB6-6245-4336-B32D-C7B63FBB6259

Porsche Taycan My Views After Test Driving RWD & 4S Both today! 143170F6-1692-47AD-BA10-FE2391BE549A

Me with Tesla’s head test driver @ thunderhill - the Model 3 is impressive on track for it’s price point but honestly not up to the task and suffers from many many many short comings - I was only able to conduct one abbreviated track sesison before the factory brake pads disintigrated and I had to retire the vehicle for the day - something unexpected with Porsche and largely intolerable.

the Model 3 is quick, but it’s not fast, and simply not up the task of a real performance car - come ot the track with me and I’ll demonstrate it’s short comings in gory detail - as a 4 door sedan for a medium price point it’s quite good, as a performance car it’s short coming are innumerable.

I believe you’re out of your depth critiquing Porsche and their decisions, but then again I’m probably wrong.

Last edited:

Dr.Ericthedrill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Audi RS3, Nissan Serena
Country flag
The full on Regen mode feels like what you get in a manual car when you go down 1 gear. You feel a certain constant drag that slows down the car and you can see in the center cluster gauge that the green light bar indicating the regeneration.
It will never bring the car to a full stop you need to hit brake pedal.
In auto mode it senses the traffic ahead. If the road is clear the car coasts.
If a car is in front (maybe 2 car lengths) it slows the car to a degree matched to the pace of the car in front. So say if the car in front slows dramatically the regen will increase accordingly.

OP
OP
soamz

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Lovely photo!
Bro, Im just putting my point to the front, nothing else :)
I want a safe ride, thats all.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
one example of the excessive performance standards Porsche designs to is their brake test.

_ALL_ porsche’s (all makes and models) must pass a brake test:
from a standing start - accelerate to 80% of rated top speed, then do full threshold braking, when stopped again with no pause repeat - do this 25 times in a row…for each trial you must maintain 0.8– 0.9 g’s deceleration (i.e. no brake fade) - when you can pass that test the brakes are good enough to go into production on every version of that vehicle manufactured…
ummm - do this with a model 3 performance and the factory brakes will melt/fail by the 5th trial - by the 2nd trial for the Plaid…honestly - take a Model 3 to a high rate of speed on a private road sometime and then really really lay into the brakes - do that multiple times with no pause -and by the 3rd or 4th trial you will have _NO_ brakes - OMG - it’s soooooo bad.

Tesla is quick, but it’s not “fast” - the distinction being it lacks depth of speed - because it can’t maintain it or repeat it with any regularity and will suffer both mechnical, software and electronic failures in repeated and modest trials - none of my 6 Tesla’s can demonstrate _ANY_ performance beyond a 1/4 mile or for any amount of time beyond 1 or 2 laps with out a predictable, forseeable failure of multiple factory components - Happily for Tesla and their owners street driving characteristics and stop light races are not that taxing on a vehicle, so their design standard meet the requirements of the product - but if you push their products they melt like wet tissue paper during a hurricane…

Porsche un-necessarily designs to a higher standard, they charge $$$ for it - and 99% of their owners will NEVER tap those capabilities, but should they be necessary the product will not fail you like my Tesla’s have on several occasions (like flat bedding a car home with no brakes after 5 laps at a 3 mile track).

Porsche is the higher quality product and yes it is in ways that probably don’t matter, unless you go looking. And they unabashedly charge for that and few if any people actually understand what it takes to deliver a vehicle of Porsche’s quality - but I can sort out fact from fiction in less than 3 laps at any race track - and 98% of all cars sold fail miserably if you push them to any degree…Tesla fails often and spectacularly - but it sadly better than most cars in it’s actual class - but if you push beyond it’s class ever so slightly - well ROFL they have a long ways to go and the problems they have can not be fixed with OTA software update.
Sponsored