To RWD or 4s? That is the question...

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
Luck enough to have had both. Spec was almost the same so feel qualified to comment.
RWD Genuinely powerful once going and main difference in initial acceleration but the RWD is more than quick enough for day to day...genuinely. However, main reason for change to 4s for me was simply added traction...for Scotlands rain (and snow!)
Sponsored

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
You will obviously be happier with a more powerful vehicle, but I am quite happy with my RWD. It will still blow away any ICE and anything faster will simply allow me to catch up to traffic faster and collect more tickets. A recent article claimed the RWD version the "best value."

I am often passed on the highway by BMWs and others determined to show off. I am past the point of caring about that.

I am coming off a 911S and have no regrets at all with any aspect of the car's performance. With my spec I already blew past a 6-figure purchase but the car is exactly what I wanted.

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Let's just base this decision on a logical note and look at the facts.

RWD = less power and more range
4s= More power and less range

If you think you will be stopping at red lights and gunning it next to some Mustang kids then go with the 4S, you will win every time.

If you easily get range anxiety (I do), get peace of mind with RWD. Though you won't be winning any drag races.

I will be honest, I occasionally will miss the speed because I came from the Teslas of the world but also sometimes when I leave for longer trips, am I glad I had the extra range. I disagree with air suspension which most people say is a must. I had it on my Model X and S and tbh Porsche's suspension is still the double wishbone suspension and it is so well tuned. I actually prefer it over the air suspension. However, many dealers right now don't have the 4S with PB+ near me and I would take an RWD with PB+ over a 4S without one any day of the week.

Shaf

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 Allroad
Country flag
I've in the market to purchase a Taycan. We're relocating to an area that has much better infrastructure for EV charging, and it's really where the future is going anyway. I just sold my 2019 718 Cayman S prior to our move (very sad!), as it also won't fit our new lifestyle. Now the big question is: to purchase RWD or a 4S (either would be pre-owned). I've been tracking the threads about the differences and test drove them both back to back. Yes there is a noticeable difference between the RWD and 4s, upon initiation of the foot on the pedal. And I admittedly am quite "spoiled" as we also have a Cayenne Turbo. I will only be using this car for my daily driver, in an urban area. I may be doing some highway driving, but not likely more than a few exits. The question I keep asking myself: can I sleep better at night paying $10k-$15k less for a nice CPO'd base car, or will I regret it and wish I had purchased the 4s? Because I just traded in my 718 S, I wonder how much difference I will feel between the RWD and what I'm used to driving. I do like seeking extra $$ in my bank account, but I also know I'm very guilty of not purchasing the one I REALLY want and then wishing I had. My spouse says I should get the thing I want, but I'm having sticker shock. Can others weigh in if they went through the same, and how do they feel about what they ended up purchasing?
I own a 4S that was in for service today. Loaner was a base rear wheel drive and it was a wet day. While the power was ok if I got on it at all the backend was all over the road. I will stay with 4S

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I've in the market to purchase a Taycan. We're relocating to an area that has much better infrastructure for EV charging, and it's really where the future is going anyway. I just sold my 2019 718 Cayman S prior to our move (very sad!), as it also won't fit our new lifestyle. Now the big question is: to purchase RWD or a 4S (either would be pre-owned). I've been tracking the threads about the differences and test drove them both back to back. Yes there is a noticeable difference between the RWD and 4s, upon initiation of the foot on the pedal. And I admittedly am quite "spoiled" as we also have a Cayenne Turbo. I will only be using this car for my daily driver, in an urban area. I may be doing some highway driving, but not likely more than a few exits. The question I keep asking myself: can I sleep better at night paying $10k-$15k less for a nice CPO'd base car, or will I regret it and wish I had purchased the 4s? Because I just traded in my 718 S, I wonder how much difference I will feel between the RWD and what I'm used to driving. I do like seeking extra $$ in my bank account, but I also know I'm very guilty of not purchasing the one I REALLY want and then wishing I had. My spouse says I should get the thing I want, but I'm having sticker shock. Can others weigh in if they went through the same, and how do they feel about what they ended up purchasing?
Couple of thoughts.....................like you I was torn between a 4S and a Turbo and I selected the 4S. BUT the difference between the two is minimal in the 0-60 comparison, air suspension, etc. The difference in price between the two was closer to $25k and I just could not justify the additional cost not due to affordability but more toward the value. You are looking at something a little different - a price difference of $15K and a much quicker and better handling car that will provide a lot of driver satisfaction and enjoyment. All that said, I would tell you that life is way to short and you should not have a bunch of 'I wishes' in your pocket. I think your spouse is 100% right on..................get the thing that you want.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
Listen to your wife. I'd go 4S all the way, even in Florida.

I'm biased as an owner of a 4S, but that little extra power and refinement is just worth it. My 2 cents + tax.

DL_AU

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (previously 911 Carrera T)
Country flag
A 718 Cayman is very nimble - I owned one - and so is a Taycan IF if has rear axle steering. While it is hard to argue against more power (or more traction if you live in places with reliably poor weather), I find that my RWD with rear-axle steering and pneumatic suspension is a very enjoyable car to drive on a daily basis.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am a nerdy engineer with plenty of vehicle dynamics experience.
I would never bother with 4WD in an IC engined car, not worth the extra weight. Winter tyres are a better solution than 4WD in slippery conditions because they help brakes and steering not just traction.

BUT with an EV you use regenerative braking and braking all 4 wheels rather than only the rears up to a certain deceleration will always be technically superior so, for me, 4WD is a no-brainier in an EV, technically.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
IMO, you should never make your car selection about money. You should decide the amount of money that you're willing to spend and then just get the car that you want within that budget. I would never stretch to buy a car, so the top of my budget will always be a point where I'm not uncomfortable making the right choice for me. It doesn't mean I always choose the most expensive car, it just takes that element out of the equation.

As I said in a prior thread on this topic, I've driven a RWD, a 4S, and a Turbo. There are no bad choices in that mix. IMO, it's more about the options that you put on the car, than the model you select. I have a 4S and if it got stolen tomorrow, I'd try to replace it with another 4S, but that's just me. If I were stuck choosing from existing cars on lots, I'd pick whichever model had the option packages that I want. I wouldn't worry about the powertrain itself.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
If I were stuck choosing from existing cars on lots, I'd pick whichever model had the option packages that I want. I wouldn't worry about the powertrain itself.
Sensible advice.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
My 2 cents…probably worthless because I don’t yet own either…is that I originally ordered RWD and then through watching far too many hours of video reviews and forums decided that if I’m spending 6 figures I don’t want to feel like I have the base model. Since I’ve changed my order to the 4S I’m a lot more excited for the car and the performance

jwvbeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
After a year of owning a RWD, I traded for a 4S. To me the RWD drive is a great car, but I got annoyed with the fact that it felt a bit slowish at 0-100kmh. Also I wanted a little more bite overall.

It is a very personal thing, but I think the Taycan, as a proper sportsedan, should have a bit more performance than the RWD has.

jnat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ‘21
Country flag
I faced the RWD vs 4S dilemma as well. I ultimately chose RWD because it would still be the fastest car I've ever owned, and a better value as the 4S did not include any of my desired options as standard (Performance Battery Plus, Sport Chrono, Rear Axle Steering, Mission E wheels).

My RWD is an absolute blast to drive and I would even say more nimble than the Turbo I drove at PECLA (which didn't have RAS - not even standard on the turbo!).