Taycan RWD or 4CT?

cars_crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I got allocations for RWD and 4CT from 2 different dealership. My desired configurations for both the cars are exactly the same, CT costing some 1600 more that RWD.
CT: PRZCZCI7
RWD: PR9WTXN7 ( 20 aero wheels to be added)
Both the cars have bigger battery, 20 aero wheels, premium package, sports chrono, air suspension, rear wheel steering, ACC and a few e-mobility stuff.
I am not sure which one to pick. CT is more practical (but I don’t need that high roof apart from the looks) but RWD coupe/sedan looks great as well.
It boils down to driving dynamics. Does 4CT offer same driving characteristics as RWD taycan? Does 4CT feel heavy or as nimble as RWD?
I was able to test drive for extended periods of time the rwd and the 4s, but finding 4CT is kind of impossible. Thus seeking help from people who have cross shopped rwd and 4CT.
Sponsored

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have a 4 CT and happy with it. It is 4 WD and it is 0.5 seconds faster 0-60 than the RWD. I don’t know if you can feel that difference. It is 2 cm higher than the sedan which is a bit easier to get in and out and also easier on speed bumps. No difference for the front seats but in the back more headroom. I needed the trunk space because it is our daily driver.

I tested a CT 4S and then a RWD sedan to see if the power of the CT 4 would be enough. They didn’t have a CT 4 to test

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I got allocations for RWD and 4CT from 2 different dealership. My desired configurations for both the cars are exactly the same, CT costing some 1600 more that RWD.
Both the cars have bigger battery, 20 aero wheels, premium package, sports chrono, air suspension, rear wheel steering, ACC and a few e-mobility stuff.
I am not sure which one to pick. CT is more practical (but I don’t need that high roof apart from the looks) but RWD coupe/sedan looks great as well.
It boils down to driving dynamics. Does 4CT offer same driving characteristics as RWD taycan? Does 4CT feel heavy or as nimble as RWD?
I was able to test drive for extended periods of time the rwd and the 4s, but finding 4CT is kind of impossible. Thus seeking help from people who have cross shopped rwd and 4CT.
Will you find the extra space useful from time to time?
Is the tiny bit better acceleration going to benefit you?

The consensus of the "sporty driving" reviewers here in the UK has been that the RWD is fast enough and being lighter and no drive to the front has better steering feel and handling but this may not be noticable in many road conditions and by many drivers.

I have never needed 4WD in the past (since I left the farm at 18 anyway) but did, as a vehicle dynamics engineer, see it as a benefit for an EV because of regenerative braking - the front axle has better braking capacity than the rear because of weight transfer - so I decided 4WD was better for me for the first time in over 40 years :)

Edit:
I should add in case people don't see what I am on about here, is that since there is no front motor there can be no regenerative braking at the front of the RWD Taycan.
I don't know the braking strategy the engineers have adopted, probably up to a certain level only braking the rear axle.
Obviously heavy braking will be optimised on all 4 wheels using the mechanical system though.

Last edited:

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Personally, I would make decision based on your space needs and which one you find more visually appealing. Unless pushing the cars to the limits, the driving characteristics are pretty similar.

MConte05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4. GTS ST inbound
Country flag
CT4, its much quicker than the RWD for sure. I have one right now and love it, just waiting for my GTS ST to arrive!

Reactions: B61

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Another vote for the CT4 - It works great for trips to Costco and it has a rear wiper !!

My CT4 replaced a Tesla Model 3 Performance, so I wanted something a little different than a 4 door sedan.

Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
I had a similar dilemma and decided on a CT4 with which I am delighted. I think the deciding factors primarily are: is cost differential important to you and which car is more visually appealing. The CT 4 has more space and 4wd and I couldn’t discern any performance or handling superiority in the RWD.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
The driving dynamics are very similar. Get whichever suits your needs best.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think both are ok.

Not everyone likes driving around in a stylish, sexy, sculptured semi sports car like the sedan.

If you're a station wagon (estate for UK), person, just embrace it and be happy.

:p:p:p:p

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
..trying to write a post with the ‘more is less’ but it was coming out a dribble 🤪

if I were in your shoes and had a dilemma- I’d chose the CT as it will be more flexible with space for any trips - work, touring around the US and if needed you will have 4wd should you have any traction issues.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've got the RWD saloon.
Really love it.

But if I were undecided, I too would go CT for the reasons others stared (space / 4WD).

Possibly more desirable used too??

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
If you want the longest range in a taycan, RWD with the bigger battery is the way to go. Personally I’d go for the CT4 just cause I love the looks plus you get a little more practicality. When it comes to pure driving dynamics lighter is better and RWD is better than AWD …but on a 5k pound EV I don’t think most will be able to discern the subtle differences

ssim

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 GT4 RS; Panamera 4S; Cayenne E-Hybrid
Country flag
I'd get the CT4. I'd expect less depreciation, and it's an overall better value.
Sponsored