PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I understand unique situation of the pandemic. I have no problem with them offering compensation, so people who think it's worth it can accept. However, unique world situations don't absolve people or companies of their contractual obligations. For example, if you got laid off because of chip shortages (your company cannot make product without chips), do you think Porsche would accept you sent them half a monthly payment for the car with a note "here is half the payment, due to unforeseen market situation that's all I will pay for the foreseeable future"? Or do you think they'd engage lawyers to reposes your car?
I am not sure that is comparing apples to apples. A subsequent event unrelated to the purchase of the car with missing parts would not alleviate your commitment to your lending institution (not Porsche the manufacturer). You lose your job for whatever reason and cannot make the payments, you sell the car.

My car was complete except for 3 non-critical items. They made me aware of the missing parts and I had the option to not take the car as a whole. I knew the cars were being delayed and waiting for some insignificant parts was just going to delay my getting the car. So them refunding me for a part that was not included (and more than likely they determined the cost to retrofit was too high) I think is fair. I personally was worried about an inexperienced technician (since the Taycan's are new and they seem to rely on Germany for guidance) tearing my dash apart to retrofit the power steering column. If it was a critical option to me (air suspension or my Mission E Wheels) I would not have accepted the car.

I do think it is unfair that they are not reimbursing everyone at the same rate. BMW started removing items on the Moroney when chips were getting hard to find and at the listed rate and not some arbitrary rate.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I am not sure that is comparing apples to apples. A subsequent event unrelated to the purchase of the car with missing parts would not alleviate your commitment to your lending institution (not Porsche the manufacturer). You lose your job for whatever reason and cannot make the payments, you sell the car.

My car was complete except for 3 non-critical items. They made me aware of the missing parts and I had the option to not take the car as a whole. I knew the cars were being delayed and waiting for some insignificant parts was just going to delay my getting the car. So them refunding me for a part that was not included (and more than likely they determined the cost to retrofit was too high) I think is fair. I personally was worried about an inexperienced technician (since the Taycan's are new and they seem to rely on Germany for guidance) tearing my dash apart to retrofit the power steering column. If it was a critical option to me (air suspension or my Mission E Wheels) I would not have accepted the car.

I do think it is unfair that they are not reimbursing everyone at the same rate. BMW started removing items on the Moroney when chips were getting hard to find and at the listed rate and not some arbitrary rate.
If Porsche offer is fair to you, you should take it and be happy. Nothing wrong with Porsche offering it to people who are willing to take it. However, if someone took delivery of a car conditional on the retrofit, and they don't want the offered amount instead, Porsche should still offer the retrofit or at least an option to return the car for a full refund (undo the transaction which was conditional on something they cannot fulfill).

Once you start letting companies decide what is critical and what is not, and how much or how little they will compensate you for not fulfilling a contract, it's a slipper slope. Your argument that it's 3 non-critical parts is relative, non-critical to whom? Certain functionality is more critical some than others. For example, while I consider launch mode non-critical functionality, there are others who I'm sure would disagree. Same for olea leather, glass roof, powered charge port, roof rails, internal accents, custom stitching, etc. If someone is paying $200K for a car, one could argue $1,000 is a non-critical part of a price, so Porsche should accept a payment for $1K less (0.5%) with no option to reject the transaction, right? Contract obligations are there for a reason, and neither side should have the option to unilaterally substitute obligations as they please.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got this email promising 1K in reimbursement in June, but >3 months later I have yet to receive anything. It was supposed to be rolling basis based on delivery date ... I would have thought that my car was one of the earliest shipped without the electric steering column adjustment, but perhaps not?

Has anybody received the follow up email from epiqpay yet? (as a side note, what an unnecessarily complicated way of doing this...)

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Out of interest - how much was this option in the US ? Is it still showing as standard on the GTS but not the 4S? (That would show the actual price difference) ?

I’m lucky that my 4S came with it and i do like the fact it raises to make it easier to get out.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just had my big update done and I asked about the WME3 open campaign on my car that existed before delivery (Retrofitting electric steering column adjustment). They acted like they never heard about it. I sent a picture of a screen shot of their internal software with my car vin and my open campaigns ( 2nd key, phone charger, both fixed at this service) and the steering column. No idea. Call 1-800-PORSCHE. Which I did and they had zero information.

I think this should be a choice, check or retrofit. And seriously, do you think the dealers are not aware?

GoDucksYellO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, Silverado 2500HD
Country flag
I got this email promising 1K in reimbursement in June, but >3 months later I have yet to receive anything. It was supposed to be rolling basis based on delivery date ... I would have thought that my car was one of the earliest shipped without the electric steering column adjustment, but perhaps not?

Has anybody received the follow up email from epiqpay yet? (as a side note, what an unnecessarily complicated way of doing this...)
Just got mine today. My car was delivered 13 months ago.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just re-read their email. Due to the semi conductor shortage, it is "impossible" to retrofit your vehicle. Oh really? Cars built after mine have it. I took delivery a year ago next week, so my check should be coming soon.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I just re-read their email. Due to the semi conductor shortage, it is "impossible" to retrofit your vehicle. Oh really? Cars built after mine have it.
It could be impossible, if they redesigned the part to switch suppliers. Newer cars may be using parts which will not fit in, or be compatible with your car. The older parts may simply be not available anymore.

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
This isn't about the money. It is the principle here that matters. If you walked into a dealership today and wanted to buy a 150k car and they said it had no electric steering column, what would you think?

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am inbetween, no worries about them messing up my car during the retrofit and take a check and on the other hand, be nice to have for entry and exit.

What gets me is that it was 1 of 3 open campaigns on my car. They just fixed the other two, why not the steering column? My guess is the cost to tear the car apart and retrofit (and potentially breaking something else ) is way more than $1,000.

TaycanViking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I couldn’t care less about the 1k offer (Norway), so I told them to come back with 5k or deliver the retrofit as by contract. They can’t get away with shit like this in Norway at least.

If I were to walk into a dealership and get them to quote me a retrofit electric steering shaft, I’ll bet my pinky it will be over $10k.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I couldn’t care less about the 1k offer (Norway), so I told them to come back with 5k or deliver the retrofit as by contract. They can’t get away with shit like this in Norway at least.

If I were to walk into a dealership and get them to quote me a retrofit electric steering shaft, I’ll bet my pinky it will be over $10k.
What if they say it‘s not possible but the dealer will refund you for your car ?

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I believe I’d take the refund. At least that’s a solution I couldn’t deem unfair.
Really ? Is it that much of a deal breaker ? Don’t get me wrong i like the adjustment on the steering column but I’d rather have my Taycan than have another car at the moment and now it’s adjusted i don’t touch it.

I would understand if it was leather seats of air suspension but seems excessive to return the car for the sake of electric steering column.
Sponsored