Anyone happy with the standard sound system?

flickroll

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am approaching the end of my obsession with details over my spec but I keep coming back to the sound system.

A lot of people keep saying you can't spec a Porsche with a standard sound system but since the subwoofer takes so much space in the small storage compartment in the back, I am skeptical towards upgrading. In addition, road noise and rough tarmac makes any music listening in the car not really worth it.

I have tried the Burmester and it sounded nice but my home stereo sounds better, ironically, since it's much cheaper. It still didn't punch through the noise from the tarmac with the 21" wheels and it didn't seem worth it.

I am coming from an Audi A4 which has been upgraded from passive speakers to "Audi Sound System", it's ok but doesn't move any mountains, so even the standard sound system might be an upgrade compared to what I have now.

So, is there anyone who has been content with the standard sound system over the Bose sound system? The Burmester is out of the question due to price.
My hearing sucks but even so I can tell a big difference between Standard, Bose, and Burmester. I once bought a Macan with Standard, which was a huge mistake. I eventually built a custom subwoofer box with JL Audio sub and amp, plus I put in Dynaudio tweeters I bought from Musicar Northwest, both of which made the system tolerable. Get Bose, or better yet try to find a way to squeeze in Burmester. I would never again consider buying a car of any brand with the Standard system. You won’t regret paying the extra $$ when you are driving the car, and you won’t be tempted to kick yourself in the a** daily because the Standard music system sux.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
My hearing sucks but even so I can tell a big difference between Standard, Bose, and Burmester.
I agree. The Burmester option is a significant advance over both Standard and Bose. It's a much better, more balanced, more detailed, more spacious sound.

Is it "better than your at-home system"? Well, that depends on what you have at home. It's not better than mine. But it's a great system that will highlight good recordings and really show how poorly recorded (or mastered, or encoded) a lot of things are...

OP
OP
oalsaker

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I like a good stereo system but I don't get into the car to listen to a record. Rough Norwegian tarmac really degrades any listening experience anyway and the money that the Burmester is worth would be better spent upgrading my home stereo system which I actually listen to.

The red car in my profile picture had the Burmester installed but the listening experience in the car wasn't great. I wasn't blown away at the stereo, not because it wasn't good but because I am sitting in a car which is a less than ideal place to listen to music.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The Bose is loud, I'll definitely give it that! I think the quality is on par with a decent home system. My home stuff is Sonus/Bose and I like it.

lucan6699

First Name
lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan, bentley
Country flag
I regret getting the standard stereo in my 4s. The speakers often distort on loud music and on phone calls. Is there a option to upgrade speakers after market (uk) that anyone can advise of?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I regret getting the standard stereo in my 4s. The speakers often distort on loud music and on phone calls. Is there a option to upgrade speakers after market (uk) that anyone can advise of?
Best plan is to go to your local custom stereo shop and see what they'll do. It's pretty much all up to how much you want to spend.

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Range Rover Autobiography, Land Rover Defender, VW Caravelle
Country flag
Final agonising for me! In uk, Bose is standard sound system. Or £3,245 for Burmester! I don’t think I can do it!! Or maybe I can

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Range Rover Autobiography, Land Rover Defender, VW Caravelle
Country flag
Not too many uk people on here. seems likein other territories Bose is an option and there is a ‘standard’ sound system. Dunno about the £3,245!! You not happy with the Bose?

OP
OP
oalsaker

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Here in Norway you get a no-name stereo system without subwoofer as standard. Both the Bose and the Burmester are upgrades.

SteveMc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Final agonising for me! In uk, Bose is standard sound system. Or £3,245 for Burmester! I don’t think I can do it!! Or maybe I can
I have the Burmester, and its fantastic. I love my music and always upgrade the sound system, but this upgrade is waaay above the harmon kardon I had in my BMW i8 and Bose upgrades in various Audis over the years.. There are a few settings to fiddle with, I have it on "Auro 3D" and it really works across the full range of music I feed it, no booming bass, no lost vocals. It's close to a decent home system (but obviously that's impossible to replicate in a car).

It's expensive, just decided how much you are "into" music. If you are at least an 8 out of 10 and you can afford it, tick the box. If you're less than 8, save the cash and tick something else.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Bose is ok.
High-end audio in a car is ridiculous anyway, especially if you have to pay €4500 for it.
I will disagree completely here. The Taycan is one of the quietest cars out there, and I listen to music in my car every single day, typically 30-60 minutes. I have a very nice stereo system in my home that I probably listen to once a week. I also have a wife and a dog and friends and neighbors and chores and projects around the house. I find the time in my car incredibly relaxing and refreshing, and I can be completely undisturbed in listening to my music.

If you're spending that kind of quality time listening to music, and you are spending over $200K on a car, why wouldn't you want to get the top of the line music system?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I will disagree completely here. The Taycan is one of the quietest cars out there, and I listen to music in my car every single day, typically 30-60 minutes. I have a very nice stereo system in my home that I probably listen to once a week. I also have a wife and a dog and friends and neighbors and chores and projects around the house. I find the time in my car incredibly relaxing and refreshing, and I can be completely undisturbed in listening to my music.

If you're spending that kind of quality time listening to music, and you are spending over $200K on a car, why wouldn't you want to get the top of the line music system?
Because Bose is ok.
The price of the car has nothing to do with it.
If that was the case I should buy the expensive luggage set although my own luggage set is ok?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Because Bose is ok.
The price of the car has nothing to do with it.
If that was the case I should buy the expensive luggage set although my own luggage set is ok?
Other cars are 'OK' - why aren't you buying them?