jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I'm adding a JL Amp and 10" slim box subwoofer in my trunk. It'll be mounted to the side wall and only remove 5" of space.​
Not sure if anyone else has experience in swapping out the individual speakers. That would be helpful.​
How do you plan to connect the sub woofer to the audio system ?
Sponsored

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
I live half an hour away. What would you like to know (I don't know them)?
I do business with these guys from time to time, and therefore I know they are quite capable, and probably have a solution for you if you wanted to upgrade the sound...one or even several levels. It might not even hurt your chances of getting a good deal if you told them you ran a cross a crazy Norwegian named Alf on this forum! :D

You scare me for two reasons: a) I'm afraid of being infected in a bottomless pit of costly upgrades (I have Bose too) b) these are Swiss solutions. I better buy a Burm 911mk3, put it on the center arm rest and save some money too :)
Tell me about it! I scare myself sometimes! :D

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
How do you plan to connect the sub woofer to the audio system ?
I cant' speak for Jasper, but in general you've got two options:

Either you use "a simple" high-to-low level interface and intercept the audio-signal that way. This is the old school way of doing it, and it will work well if done correcty, and to be frank this is the way i would do it if i where to only add a subwoofer. Also many amps already have this functionality built in.

The high-end soluttion would be to use a an interface that intercepts the audio in digital form on the MOST-ring (optical) of the infotainment system, and then converts it to a very high-end analogue signal that you could then use on whatever amplifier or DSP you'd like. And in such a solution there would be no loss of quality. Downside to this solution offcourse is the price.

My guess is that the solution below, although it does not state that the PCM 6 is compatible, i would be surprised if it wasnt....as the cars on the compatibilitylist are all using the MOST 150 standard...as do the PCM 6 system....and i'm contemplating ordering one to test on my own car to find out.
Audio Interface - ZEN-V - NAV-TV (navtv.com)

Last edited:

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I cant' speak for Jasper, but in general you've got two options:

Either you use "a simple" high-to-low level interface and intercept the audio-signal that way. This is the old school way of doing it, and it will work well if done correcty, and to be frank this is the way i would do it if i where to only add a subwoofer. Also many amps already have this functionality built in.

The high-end soluttion would be to use a an interface that intercepts the audio in digital form on the MOST-ring (optical) of the infotainment system, and then converts it to a very high-end analogue signal that you could then use on whatever amplifier or DSP you'd like. And in such a solution there would be no loss of quality. Downside to this solution offcourse is the price.

My guess is that the solution below, although it does not state that the PCM 6 is compatible, i would be surprised if it wasnt....as the cars on the compatibilitylist are all using the MOST 150 standard...as do the PCM 6 system....and i'm contemplating ordering one to test on my own car to find out.
Audio Interface - ZEN-V - NAV-TV (navtv.com)
Thanks for the comment. Do you know where you can get access to the audio cabling in the Taycan ?

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thanks for the comment. Do you know where you can get access to the audio cabling in the Taycan ?
I would first try to intercept the audio signal at the oem subwoofer, to see if that would give a good clean audio signal. Asuming that the crossover that is set in the system is set reasonably.

I my self havent gotten this far yet, as i only took delivery of my car about a week ago :)

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I would first try to intercept the audio signal at the oem subwoofer, to see if that would give a good clean audio signal. Asuming that the crossover that is set in the system is set reasonably.

I my self havent gotten this far yet, as i only took delivery of my car about a week ago :)
As far as I know, the standard audio system does not have a oem subwoofer. Or do you think it will have the cabling by default ?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I got the standard. I don't own any records or whatever they're called now. I do have spotify (family use) but i've never tried to tune it in to my phone etc. I really just use the car audio to listen to the radio and it seems fine for that.
I agree. Most local trips are too short for listening to music by the time the car decides which sound choice it feels like playing that day. On long trips we are more likely to listen to an audio book or talk radio. I value the extra space in the lower trunk compartment more than a premium sound system.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have the standard sound system mainly to get more height in the trunk for carrying tools used in my volunteer work. I find it fine for my use.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
As far as I know, the standard audio system does not have a oem subwoofer. Or do you think it will have the cabling by default ?
Ahh...you are off course correct.... It seems I have been looking into the Bose system a bit to much latetly...as had the Bose and them confused :)

Hmmm...in that case i would tap the signal that goes to any of the midbass doorspeakers.

jasperp

First Name
jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
Ahh...you are off course correct.... It seems I have been looking into the Bose system a bit to much latetly...as had the Bose and them confused :)

Hmmm...in that case i would tap the signal that goes to any of the midbass doorspeakers.
That sounds not that easy to do. Starting from the speaker would require new cabels starting from the door.
It would be best to start from the radio side of the cabling.
Anyone tried this already ?

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
That sounds not that easy to do. Starting from the speaker would require new cabels starting from the door.
It would be best to start from the radio side of the cabling.
Anyone tried this already ?
Agreed...and that's what i was saying... you tap the audio signal that goes to the rear doors, and not specifically in the door :)

The big unknown for me in relation to tapping the audiosignal...is seeing as the basic system does not have a separate amplifier, the common thing in the carindustry is to have the amplifer integrated into the mainunit/headunit, but looking at the partscatalogue i cant find any reference that the models with basis soundsystems have a different headunit/mainunt.

Can anyone with the basic soundsystem send me their VIN-number? As that could potentially tell us IF there is a more apropriate location to tap the audio signal in these models.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Agreed...and that's what i was saying... you tap the audio signal that goes to the rear doors, and not specifically in the door :)

The big unknown for me in relation to tapping the audiosignal...is seeing as the basic system does not have a separate amplifier, the common thing in the carindustry is to have the amplifer integrated into the mainunit/headunit, but looking at the partscatalogue i cant find any reference that the models with basis soundsystems have a different headunit/mainunt.

Can anyone with the basic soundsystem send me their VIN-number? As that could potentially tell us IF there is a more apropriate location to tap the audio signal in these models.
The headunit is the same for all Taycans, the only variants are for regions. They're all MIB3. All audio processing is done in the headunit, and the headunit also amplifies for 8 speakers (all of them in the base audio system, pillar/roof/shelf speakers in other audio systems). The amplifier (if there is one) is connected via A2B (automotive audio bus). I guess you could also just 'borrow' the signal from the door woofers with a low-pass filter?

Audio for the amplifier is no longer transmitted via the MOST bus but via A2B. But there's a chance it's still "available" on the MOST bus (just unused by internal systems). Every Taycan should have a MOST bus that's used to get the the driver display, HUD and PCM communicating.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189329-0001.pdf has some pretty good information. It's Audi, but Porsche uses the same MIB3 with largely the same architecture.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
The headunit is the same for all Taycans, the only variants are for regions. They're all MIB3.
Thats been established, indeed. As well as variations with and without digital radio. The other differences seems to be revisions.

All audio processing is done in the headunit, and the headunit also amplifies for 8 speakers (all of them in the base audio system, pillar/roof/shelf speakers in other audio systems).
Thanks. I initially did not make this connection. But you are indeed correct. I've checked a few of the main units and they all "useable" loadspeaker pins in the Quadlock connector.

The amplifier (if there is one) is connected via A2B (automotive audio bus).
I'm not convinced that this the case...as i've heard the audio bus on the MOST 150-ring been called this before. And also...there are interfaces out there to intercept the audio on the MOST 150 ring, that is made for the MIB3 systems. As linked to earlier in the thread.

I guess you could also just 'borrow' the signal from the door woofers with a low-pass filter?
Yepp, that is what i would do on a Taycan without an external amp, as i suggested earlier in the thread.

Audio for the amplifier is no longer transmitted via the MOST bus but via A2B. But there's a chance it's still "available" on the MOST bus (just unused by internal systems).
That might also correct, but in my opinion it's not very likely that they would have a double setup, when it is not needed.

Every Taycan should have a MOST bus that's used to get the the driver display, HUD and PCM communicating.
All MIB 3 systems have the MOST 150 system indeed. But they are not used for display and/or video as far as i know. For this purpose VAG are still using the HSD/LVDS-setup they've used roughly since the introduction of Audi's MMI system. Though with higher resolutions the last few years.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10189329-0001.pdf has some pretty good information. It's Audi, but Porsche uses the same MIB3 with largely the same architecture.
Good read. Thanks.

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
I'm not convinced that this the case...as i've heard the audio bus on the MOST 150-ring been called this before. And also...there are interfaces out there to intercept the audio on the MOST 150 ring, that is made for the MIB3 systems. As linked to earlier in the thread.

That might also correct, but in my opinion it's not very likely that they would have a double setup, when it is not needed.

All MIB 3 systems have the MOST 150 system indeed. But they are not used for display and/or video as far as i know. For this purpose VAG are still using the HSD/LVDS-setup they've used roughly since the introduction of Audi's MMI system. Though with higher resolutions the last few years.
Possible, everything I know is in that Audi MIB3 self-study. MOST is used to communicate album art and other graphics to the VC/HUD (but not maps etc, those do indeed go over LVDS).

I do think A2B is used for audio, they probably just didn't take out the MOST part.
Sponsored