bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
OK, I'm going to try reaching out to the forum members again.

When you hit HOME, then Devices, then the ellipses, do you get three options: Phone Settings, Bluetooth Settings, and WiFi Settings?

When I do it there are only TWO menus: Phone Settings and Bluetooth Settings. There is no WiFi Settings menu anymore.

I've been told there is no hotspot in North American Taycans, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something, doing something wrong, or if I need to take it in for service.

Thanks!

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 20200713_170544
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
bushmg

bushmg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan, 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition,
Country flag
Thanks for the reply! The good news is that the WiFi menu has come back again. The bad news is that it disappeared at all. This is one of several 'glitches' that pop up from time to time. Hopefully, all will be addressed as Porsche irons out the software.

Minnesotan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2022 Targa 4S, 2018 E300
Country flag
I went on a road trip yesterday with my grand kids (260+ miles round trip) :) . Wanted to activate the Taycan’s hotspot so kids could access internet on their iPads. Couldn’t figure it out—called Porsche Roadside Assistance and was advised that U.S. Taycans do not as yet have the ability to activate the hotspot. (Had it in my 2017 Panamera 4s) :(

neilp1

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S with Mission E Wheels and PCCB breaks
Country flag
I have it active on my 4S (that I just got today!):
D2DDEDE3-7410-4855-8D36-9DE3980A2C03.jpeg
Hi All - I do not believe I have this setting. Is this where we setup the Taycan to access our home interner?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Hi All - I do not believe I have this setting. Is this where we setup the Taycan to access our home interner?
You guys need to understand that the WiFi hotspot DOES NOTHING on USA vehicles.

- It DOES NOT PROVIDE internet service for occupants (which it DOES in Europe if you pay extra)

and

- It DOES NOT RECEIVE internet service from external hotspots (your home). (That's simply not what a "HotSpot" is supposed to do in any case...)

The only thing it DOES do is provide a DEAD hotspot (with no internet connectivity) for your cell phone to connect to!

Yes, we know Porsche actually walks you through the process of configuring this on your phone when you first set up your (USA) car. (Nice huh?) ...but don't connect to it. It will do NOTHING for you but eliminate your internet access completely!

Its actually SAFER not to have the menu option (This thread is a good example why...)

If you have this on the list of "known networks" on your phone you will want to either delete it completely or configure it to disable "autoconnect".

You've been warned... ;-)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You guys need to understand that the WiFi hotspot DOES NOTHING on USA vehicles.

- It DOES NOT PROVIDE internet service for occupants (which it DOES in Europe if you pay extra)

and

- It DOES NOT RECEIVE internet service from external hotspots (your home)

The only thing it DOES do is provide a DEAD hotspot (with no internet connectivity) for your cell phone to connect to!

Don't connect to it. It will do NOTHING for you but eliminate your internet access completely!
You have a great feature when you connect to Taycan Wi-Fi!

You can sync your iPhone calendar!

Absolutely rubbish!

But Hey “It drives like a Porsche”

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
I thought someone had already commented on this before, but the above is not accurate as you need to connect to the vehicle via WIFI for wireless Car Play. So for all MY 20 owners (even in the US), this should change once the software update comes? Or am I wrong here? Wireless Apple Car Play will not work with a bluetooth connection.

What I find annoying is that I do not seem to have the WIFI receiving function to connect to the external hot spot in my garage. That menu option simply does not exist for me and "good to know" does list this as a "regional" option.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I thought someone had already commented on this before, but the above is not accurate as you need to connect to the vehicle via WIFI for wireless Car Play. So for all MY 20 owners (even in the US), this should change once the software update comes? Or am I wrong here? Wireless Apple Car Play will not work with a bluetooth connection.

What I find annoying is that I do not seem to have the WIFI receiving function to connect to the external hot spot in my garage. That menu option simply does not exist for me and "good to know" does list this as a "regional" option.
The WiFi does have internet connection despite what an annoying forum member tells you (I just gave up on him).
Where else would these map updates come from then?
How does the Porsche server know what settings the car has if it didn't have a working Internet connection? (settings are stored in the cloud).
Still, these channels are restricted traffic only.
Funny thing is, when I change the name of the WiFi hotspot (MOTHERSHIP) the name of the bluetooth point changes with it...
Funny ej? :)

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? 2021-01-12_20.26.02

Porsche Taycan Where's the WiFi Menu? Screenshot_20210112-210258

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Has anyone confirmed that Wireless Carplay uses the WiFi hotspot in MY21 or is this also a promise folks are waiting for? Does it work for MY21 USA vehicles (or just Euro)? Cause the hotspot doesn't do anything in USA MY20 cars but kill your internet connectivity if you attach to it...

Typically, from a network perspective "HOTSPOTS" don't take service, they provide service. Is it formally documented somewhere that the "HotSpot" in the Taycan is supposed to be able to connect to a home access point? Where are you supposed to tell the HOTSPOT the SSID/PWD of the home HotSpot you want it to connect TO?

Last edited:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The WiFi does have internet connection despite what an annoying forum member tells you (I just gave up on him).
As I fully qualified (over and over): NOT IN THE USA IT DOESN'T! (You know, like where the OP is from?)

This is very well known. Please prove me wrong. Please identify ONE Taycan in the USA where it provides Internet Access and I will stand down...

Porsche doesn't even provide a data plan for USA owners! Who, exactly, is giving USA Taycan owners a free data plan? (cause I wanna get onboard!) Verizon? T-Mobile? AT&T?

Signed: "Annoying Forum Member"

Last edited:

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Has anyone confirmed that Wireless Carplay uses the WiFi hotspot in MY21 or is this also a promise folks are waiting for? Does it work for MY21 USA vehicles (or just Euro)? Cause the hotspot doesn't do anything in USA MY20 cars but kill your internet connectivity if you attach to it...

Typically, from a network perspective "HOTSPOTS" don't take service, they provide service. Is it formally documented somewhere that the "HotSpot" in the Taycan is supposed to be able to connect to a home access point? Where are you supposed to tell the HOTSPOT the SSID/PWD of the home HotSpot you want it to connect TO?
Wireless CarPlay sets the phones WiFi up as a type of hotspot and streams data to the PCM that way. It does not connect to the cars WiFi.

No data for me in Norway when connected as I don't want to pay the extortionate amount Porsche wants for data.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay sets the phones WiFi up as a type of hotspot and streams data to the PCM that way. It does not connect to the cars WiFi.

No data for me in Norway when connected as I don't want to pay the extortionate amount Porsche wants for data.
So the car acts as a CLIENT to the phones WiFi Hotspot? The car is the "client" and the phone is the "server"? As you surmise, this wouldn't require the car to serve up a hotspot at all!

Sounds like you have it working... I guess this is only available in MY21? ...and also working in the USA (since it doesn't require a hotspot)?

(I'm not an Apple User so Wireless Carplay is not a concern of mine...)

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Oh looks like I may have been wrong!

Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:

1. To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.
  2. Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.
  3. Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.
  4. After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.
  5. And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.

But that's still neither here nor there. Your phone will be using mobile data while CarPlay is active so the direction of connection doesn't really matter in the end, nor does it matter if the cars WiFi has data access either. :)

Edit: Readsome more and seems some head units try to use the cars WiFi. I assume this can be changed by manufacturer as I have no data package for our Taycan so it must be using mobile data.

source: https://www.connectedcarlife.com/tech/how-does-wireless-apple-carplay-work/
Sponsored

Last edited: