AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
Hey all! I'm currently doing some thorough research on what works best for me in regards to which Taycan to get. I'm definitely getting a Turbo, but at this point - it's a matter of 2020 vs. 2021. But I do have a few questions before I start hard negotiating at dealerships.

There are a lot of new 2020's on lots across the USA, so I've got my pick of the litter when it comes down to 2020 cars, but my understanding is that they don't get OTA's and don't have FoD. That's more or less okay because the 2020's I'm looking at all have Innodrive already, and the only thing I'm missing out on would be ALK. The pro would be huge % discounts on 2020's and letting Porsche eat the first year of depreciation, but the con would be missing out on newer functions that Porsche may introduce that I couldn't get because 2020's don't support FoD. Another con would be having to go to dealerships in order to get any software updates, correct? Is FoD 100% definitely not coming to 2020 cars at all? Would is be unrealistic to look for a 15-20% discount on cars with 175-180k MSRP's? My local dealership already offers 10% without asking, another 5% would go a long way but would it be just unrealistic?

When it comes to 2021's however, my understanding is that things like ALK can be added in after, but you need Innodrive to begin with - is this true? I see a few 2021's that look tempting, but I'm not sure if those specific cars can get the ALK upgrade because they have ACC, but not Innodrive. Can ACC be upgraded into Innodrive?

Thank you all for the loads of useful information! Cheers.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hey all! I'm currently doing some thorough research on what works best for me in regards to which Taycan to get. I'm definitely getting a Turbo, but at this point - it's a matter of 2020 vs. 2021. But I do have a few questions before I start hard negotiating at dealerships.

There are a lot of new 2020's on lots across the USA, so I've got my pick of the litter when it comes down to 2020 cars, but my understanding is that they don't get OTA's and don't have FoD. That's more or less okay because the 2020's I'm looking at all have Innodrive already, and the only thing I'm missing out on would be ALK. The pro would be huge % discounts on 2020's and letting Porsche eat the first year of depreciation, but the con would be missing out on newer functions that Porsche may introduce that I couldn't get because 2020's don't support FoD. Another con would be having to go to dealerships in order to get any software updates, correct? Is FoD 100% definitely not coming to 2020 cars at all? Would is be unrealistic to look for a 15-20% discount on cars with 175-180k MSRP's? My local dealership already offers 10% without asking, another 5% would go a long way but would it be just unrealistic?

When it comes to 2021's however, my understanding is that things like ALK can be added in after, but you need Innodrive to begin with - is this true? I see a few 2021's that look tempting, but I'm not sure if those specific cars can get the ALK upgrade because they have ACC, but not Innodrive. Can ACC be upgraded into Innodrive?

I can’t answer all of your queries and not sure what ALK is but you need ACC if you want to add Innodrive at a later date via FoD.

Depending on what options you have with the car you choose then you will quickly realise that you may well exhaust what is possible from FoD (there isn’t a lot as many features are hardware dependent and so if you don’t have the requisite hardware then you can’t FoD a related option).

2020 models are no doubt tempting but apart from the discounts they are limited in functionality and may carry legacy issues (covered elsewhere in this forum).

FoD may come to 2020 cars but it isn’t 100% clear and a lot rides on a major software release coming this quarter. There was a press release which detailed 2021 advances but I can’t remember if it was MY21 specific.

https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/taycan/en/porsche-taycan/die-assistenzsysteme

FoD specifically https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/taycan/en/porsche-taycan/die-functions-on-demand-fod

Last edited:

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
I hope I can help you sort partly out:
The base to upgrade the FoDs is ACC.
if you spec this you can download active line keeping (ALK) and Innodrive.
BUT!!!! FoD Innodrive is not like spec Innodrive. The FoD version is a lighter software Version while the spec version does have more Features (like crossing assistents) and more sensors. You will not be able to install those sensors afterwards. (I learned the hard way)
So a 2020 with innodrive speced is better than a 2021 with the FoD possibility.
From what I know the 2020 gets their updates OTA. You can see this in the menu of the PCM. There is a button for updates.
Here you can see which feature bilds up on which hardware.

Porsche Taycan Question about Innodrive and FoD A111707D-5F6D-4DEB-B5D2-ED94596BAB4D

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

IMHO the 2021 cars are superior to the 2020 models, among the few improvements is the ability for charger to communicate with the charging unit is for me big. I would recommend focusing on 2021 models. the 2020s are discounted because the 2021s are a better car. but if dollars are a concern then there are some excellent deals out there on the 2020s

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,
I hope I can help you sort partly out:
The base to upgrade the FoDs is ACC.
if you spec this you can download active line keeping (ALK) and Innodrive.
BUT!!!! FoD Innodrive is not like spec Innodrive. The FoD version is a lighter software Version while the spec version does have more Features (like crossing assistents) and more sensors. You will not be able to install those sensors afterwards. (I learned the hard way)
So a 2020 with innodrive speced is better than a 2021 with the FoD possibility.
From what I know the 2020 gets their updates OTA. You can see this in the menu of the PCM. There is a button for updates.
Here you can see which feature bilds up on which hardware.

A111707D-5F6D-4DEB-B5D2-ED94596BAB4D.jpeg
If this is correct, then it needs to be paid attention to.

Schlarbsi

First Name
Dominik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If this is correct, then it needs to be paid attention to.
It is true. You can verify it by looking at the functions. Factory innodrive got something to watch crossings in front of you. The FoD does not have this Feature because it does only have the ACC Sensors.
you can see the different sensors in the sheet.
so without the factory Innodrive the car is unable to watch the traffic in front of the car.
expecting some autonome driving? This will never come to a car that does not have factory innodrive.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I’m having a difficult time understanding the table - I see bits of English mixed with mostly German.

What sensors are included with factory innodrive? And does the night assistance camera get used for anything else?

OP
OP
AhsanU

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
IMHO the 2021 cars are superior to the 2020 models, among the few improvements is the ability for charger to communicate with the charging unit is for me big. I would recommend focusing on 2021 models. the 2020s are discounted because the 2021s are a better car. but if dollars are a concern then there are some excellent deals out there on the 2020s
Could you further iterate on why the charger being able to communicate with the charging unit is important for you? Perhaps it could be important for me too if I knew, but ignorance gets the best of me.

Regarding deals and discounts - it's the difference between getting a perfect spec 2020 Turbo vs. a 2021 Turbo that's missing a few things I'd like rear axle steering, PDCC, power charge port cover, etc. One of the things swaying me towards a 2021 was the FoD and OTA updates, but based on my driving habits and general real-world use case - I don't use cruise control much since I drive in city roads more than anything, and I don't mind visiting my local dealership since I've made friends with them over the years from owning a GT3 and what not.

My only fear is Porsche coming out with some wicked new tech in a few years, and I'm just left behind in a 2020 because I didn't want to shell out the extra $10-15k now. But what are the odds of that? I'm kind of doubting Porsche will come out with revolutionary tech that could be downloaded to an older car.. seems like something they'd release in a refreshed version so they can lure people out of their older cars and into newer ones.

Murphtown

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dcmetroneighborhoods.com
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S (Ice Grey), Audi Q7
Country flag
I had negotiated almost 22% off (plus the $7,500 tax credit) a 2020 Turbo that had an MSRP over 190. It was considered demo, but only had about 200 miles on it. When I went to take a final look, I saw an Ice Grey 2021 and fell in love with the new color. Then after reading all about how the '21 advantages, I went for the '21 Turbo S. Definitely didn't get as good of a deal, but still managed to get 7% off. One dealership got to 15% on a non-demo 2020, but another didn't. I think it depends on the sales manager and how many '20s they have on the lot.

OP
OP
AhsanU

AhsanU

First Name
Ahsan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GT3
Country flag
I had negotiated almost 22% off (plus the $7,500 tax credit) a 2020 Turbo that had an MSRP over 190. It was considered demo, but only had about 200 miles on it. When I went to take a final look, I saw an Ice Grey 2021 and fell in love with the new color. Then after reading all about how the '21 advantages, I went for the '21 Turbo S. Definitely didn't get as good of a deal, but still managed to get 7% off. One dealership got to 15% on a non-demo 2020, but another didn't. I think it depends on the sales manager and how many '20s they have on the lot.
7% off still isn’t bad at all for a 2021 Turbo S. Is it safe to presume you took one off the lot?

The more I think about it, the more worth it the 2020’s are. I’m looking to lease for 3 years then look into a refreshed Taycan, or perhaps another EV. If I can get a 20-22% discount on a 2020 that has the right options, I’m just gonna go for it. Thank you for the input!

Taycanturbolondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just putting it out there, could the differences in Innodrive FoD and Innodrive factory be actually the difference if it were paired with LCA/3D parking.

for example my 21MY factory Innodrive (no LCA/3D) has the intersection assist but no rear traffic assist

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Just putting it out there, could the differences in Innodrive FoD and Innodrive factory be actually the difference if it were paired with LCA/3D parking.

for example my 21MY factory Innodrive (no LCA/3D) has the intersection assist but no rear traffic assist
Just a thought but have you checked under assistance systems if all items are enabled for use?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It is true. You can verify it by looking at the functions.
Wow! With all this hardware variations, you just destroyed my hope that with the next update, the Park Assist will finally shut up, when I am driving in D mode.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Could you further iterate on why the charger being able to communicate with the charging unit is important for you? Perhaps it could be important for me too if I knew, but ignorance gets the best of me.

Regarding deals and discounts - it's the difference between getting a perfect spec 2020 Turbo vs. a 2021 Turbo that's missing a few things I'd like rear axle steering, PDCC, power charge port cover, etc. One of the things swaying me towards a 2021 was the FoD and OTA updates, but based on my driving habits and general real-world use case - I don't use cruise control much since I drive in city roads more than anything, and I don't mind visiting my local dealership since I've made friends with them over the years from owning a GT3 and what not.

My only fear is Porsche coming out with some wicked new tech in a few years, and I'm just left behind in a 2020 because I didn't want to shell out the extra $10-15k now. But what are the odds of that? I'm kind of doubting Porsche will come out with revolutionary tech that could be downloaded to an older car.. seems like something they'd release in a refreshed version so they can lure people out of their older cars and into newer ones.
I am not well versed enough to get into all the aspects of the improvements in the 2021 beyond the fixing of some of the software flaws found in the 2020s, improvements in things like communication with the mothership and so on.

I look at all these EVs like I do IPhones.
would you purchase an IPhone 10 to save a few bucks when you can have the latest and greatest phone available? My criteria in these cases is to buy the latest most up to date car/phone available and in the case of EVs to buy the most range offered in the model line.

fwiw: this is a current lease offer for 2020 taycan 4s on the porsche site
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accesso...hefinancialservices/pfs-leasing-offers/#term1
Sponsored

Last edited: