bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
This doesn’t answer your question at all .. but I have my Taycan set to 85% on the general profile and I control the times from my Ohme charger, which knows about my Octopus Eneegy Go tariff (I guess you must be using something similar).
What I have had happen a couple of times is that I’ve manually charged the car earlier than scheduled and then when it came to the scheduled charge it just didn’t work. Last time this happened I had to reset my Ohme charger before the car would charge properly, so I’m not sure what was going on there. If I plug in when I get home in the evening and don’t touch it again until the morning it charges fine, it’s only when I try to manually intervene when weird things have happened.
Sponsored

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why don't the profiles allow you to choose a minimum RANGE, not %? Ok, add both, but normally I want to make sure my car has at least 120 miles, I don't care what the battery % is. Charge
more late at night when electricity is cheaper. Yes I can experiment and find a % that I like, but why do they want users to be battery engineers? (Caveat, I am a software engineer, marketting probably spec'd the UI design).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Why don't the profiles allow you to choose a minimum RANGE, not %? Ok, add both, but normally I want to make sure my car has at least 120 miles, I don't care what the battery % is. Charge
more late at night when electricity is cheaper. Yes I can experiment and find a % that I like, but why do they want users to be battery engineers? (Caveat, I am a software engineer, marketting probably spec'd the UI design).
I suspect lawyers and/or business risk managers actually controlled this aspect of the design. When you specify battery capacity, that is something that can be predictably measured no matter which car you are calculating this for. If you were to design it to calculate range, you would be making a projection of mileage based on multiple factors which vary depending on environmental conditions, on operational conditions, and by driver. Any projection that the system would make would be vulnerable to criticism and, in some jurisdictions, to legal liability. Think about if you charged to 120 miles and your car ran out of range at 100 miles because it was cold or you drove aggressively; you would be pretty upset. So, we're always going to get battery % until 10 minute charging to 50% becomes more widespread.

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
When you specify battery capacity, that is something that can be predictably measured no matter which car you are calculating this for
(Off topic, but interesting)
Surprisingly not with Lithium Ion batteries. Just measuring the battery voltage Isn’t very accurate measure of remaining capacity, especially if the battery is under load. The Battery Management Sytem essentially keeps track of power in and power out to estimate the battery charge level.

Still more accurate than guessing range though!

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
This doesn’t answer your question at all .. but I have my Taycan set to 85% on the general profile and I control the times from my Ohme charger, which knows about my Octopus Eneegy Go tariff (I guess you must be using something similar).
What I have had happen a couple of times is that I’ve manually charged the car earlier than scheduled and then when it came to the scheduled charge it just didn’t work. Last time this happened I had to reset my Ohme charger before the car would charge properly, so I’m not sure what was going on there. If I plug in when I get home in the evening and don’t touch it again until the morning it charges fine, it’s only when I try to manually intervene when weird things have happened.
yes, I’m on octopus and using a pod point. Until a couple of weeks back the pod point wouldn’t let you choose times but it does now, so I’ve used this function the last couple of nights since my issue following the software update. It works ok but not as well as using the Porsche timer. I did wonder about trying to reset the pod point but reluctant as can’t see why this would help and don’t want to create another issue. It’s the car that isn’t starting to charge when its meant to. I will test adding a timer today to see if this resolves.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? B9155987-0F8E-43F4-9E17-62EC9DF0EA5F

Got to say not impressed with the software update. Never had an issue with the profile previously, now I have to set sport sound every time to I start the car, where as previously once set on the day it stayed and the same with 3D maps. Previously I had to set this every morning which was annoying enough. Now I have to set it every time I start the car! My cars now worse than it was before remembering settings and I have more German text now than I’ve ever had!

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sure, hasn’t changed

099A0AB8-B583-4EA4-94B1-5B6709655EA1.jpg

56997EC5-E5CD-43BE-9213-EB87791423A6.jpg
Creating a profile with the name "charge 100%" does not charge to 100%.

Profiles: Set the min charge level it charge to right away
Timers: Set the max charge level it charges to at a time in the future

Try it!

I don't know why you could charge with a profile before, perhaps a bug?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So, basically now I’ve given up.
Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 1618740646196

If you play with profile and timers, you will see these lines change. So you know what the result will be. Will that help you?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Valid point! Let me think...

...no, very bad idea! Yesterday you had slow traffic, the range went up and you charge to 150 range, then you drive regular faster traffic and only get 130.

But I do think for regular users, the profile and timer business is too complicated.

OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Creating a profile with the name "charge 100%" does not charge to 100%.

Profiles: Set the min charge level it charge to right away
Timers: Set the max charge level it charges to at a time in the future

Try it!

I don't know why you could charge with a profile before, perhaps a bug?
Ha ha. I know that. I just called it cheap charge 100% as it was my 4 hours cheap electric slot with no max % charge.

yes, been charging with just a profile for 4 months. Didn’t need a timer as added unnecessary complexity. Profiles let you add in min charge to get to, then stop and add a time when you want it to start charging and for how long ( eg my 4 hours over night) ( or at least they used to pre my software update!) I will try adding a timer this afternoon to see if this fixes it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickj

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
Ok, so did some testing and early indication as some have suggested setting a timer seems to be the issue. Baffled as had the car 4 months with no timer set and been charging with no issue. Set one for tonight for a couple of hours charge so let’s see..

I’ve set a timer at a random time (chose 7am) but presumably if I have pre cool/ heat off this is irrelevant?

I don’t want the car to do anything at a pre set time , but do want it to pre heat on unlock. Noticed the first time I set this in the timer not to pre heat, it forgot the setting and had re ticked itself so let’s see.

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? 3BCB9DE9-90AE-428D-A07E-B361EA40F830

Porsche Taycan Will my car charge tonight? A5296E61-9C15-4F4F-99EB-AE0E66A988DB

Now my generic pointless timer is set it isn’t going to do anything I need to be aware of is it???

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Preheat via timer is optional and independent of door unlock preheat/cool and remote climate set.

Don't set preheat if you don't need it...simples.

Looks like you are using the tech correctly this time around. BTW - 100% charging is not recommended unless you plan to use the car that day.

torx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Screenshot_20210416-085035_Connect.jpg

Profile doesn't let you control the maximum you want to charge to and a combination is generally required.
Can you please tell me what the timer actually does.

If you have a general profile set (with or without location) and we set it to charge to 85% between 00.30 and 04.30 then why do we also need a timer set to say we are leaving at 07.00 and to make sure there is 85% available?

Surely it should just work off the general profile and charge between the hours set.

I have set a timer up and see what it will do tomorrow morning however would like to understand why we have to set it up like this.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Can you please tell me what the timer actually does.

If you have a general profile set (with or without location) and we set it to charge to 85% between 00.30 and 04.30 then why do we also need a timer set to say we are leaving at 07.00 and to make sure there is 85% available?

Surely it should just work off the general profile and charge between the hours set.

I have set a timer up and see what it will do tomorrow morning however would like to understand why we have to set it up like this.
You cannot set a maximum charge level on a profile. You can only set a minimum charge level but this is not what you think.

Minimum means - when I plug my charger in start charging immediately until the battery state of charge reaches 85% and then pause until you disconnect it.

A timer lets you select the level of target charge e.g. 85% to reach within the time window you set. If the window is too small the car won't charge to that level and if too big it automatically calculates when to start and stop charging within that window.

It could not be simpler.

Xsquid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S Diesel, Taycan 4s+, 996 C2 Coupe
Country flag
appreciate the input but I’ll say again I’ve never used a timer in 4 months. Maybe posting the pick confused the issue, but timers didn’t give me anything as my schedule is varied. All I’ve done for 4 months is have a profile, if below 30% it charged to 30, the stopped then charged for 4 hours at the cheap rate and it would achieve where ever it got charge wise.

Post software update it now doesn’t work...
I have just moved to Octopus and ran into the same issue. Paul Steinbruner’s video on You Tube suggests exactly as you have been doing until the software upgrade. A profile should work as you have set up - the desired initial % then up to 100% at the preferred charging times. I tried exactly the same and whilst the screen will give an end time the charging process beyond the initial charge never engaged - a big bug! Big shame in my view.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
So, had my software update at Porsche yesterday. As usual plug my car in and top up on cheap charge from 1230-0430 and been doing this for 3 months with a profile. No issues in 3 months.
Woke up this morning and car not charged. Luckily I was local so manged to get by on 30% battery.
Checked my settings and all look ok, and nothing has changed from memory.
Got back tonight and plugged in and as below 30% it’s charged ok upto 30% and now on pause as it should be.
Am I missing something or has something changed in my settings after my update?
8735F55A-7EC7-4458-9901-564D5B1A4319.jpg

52F2BEFB-C3A1-4864-B9F8-EA2420FF252E.jpg

5FE89B5C-79D8-4FE5-929D-88DC04B3661E.jpg
My Taycan CT is on order so I have no hands on experience. But does this video help solve the issue? -