How many charge to 100%

Just curious on how many of you charge to 100% and how many to 85% on the daily?

• Total voters

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
a mile or two a night is not very high
Mine was parked in near ideal conditions. If the car is off and locked, I'd think this is very, very high, considering this drains the battery after 3 months...
Sponsored

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Worth bearing in mind that the Taycan has a decent buffer in the battery capacity, 93kWh actual vs 88kWh usable from memory, which Teslas don't have. So a decent hedge against dégradation.

Some Teslas even had a smaller battery than advertised (P85).

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Worth bearing in mind that the Taycan has a decent buffer in the battery capacity, 93kWh actual vs 88kWh usable from memory, which Teslas don't have. So a decent hedge against dégradation.

Some Teslas even had a smaller battery than advertised (P85).
Actually I am pretty sure Teslas have a similar or good buffer, all cars do. I know some manufacturers after they collect enough data will "release" more buffer for use when they know its not significant for degradation (like Jaguar did with I-Pace). And Tesla has WAY more data than anyone on batteries, use, longevity, etc and they have always had some of the most aggressive battery thermal management systems.

The only thing I have seen that I can "fault" them for is they did not make absolutely clear that supercharging does impact the longevity. Not that you shouldn't fast charge, but for a while a lot of Tesla owners were using Fast Charging even when charging at home would do, partly because its fun and partly because it was free. And eventually the batteries in some Model S's lost normal capacity from use and Tesla had to release an update that slowed down charge rates in order to protect the batteries. And that was a little bit of surprise to some.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
After using the Taycan for a few weeks and being a tiny little bit disappointed about the range, I started wondering if charging to 85% is actually needed, given the fact that The battery is 93.4 kWh, of which 83.7 kWh is usable.

This means that I charge the battery to (85% * 83.7) / 93.4 = 76.2% of 93.4 kWh

If I would charge to 100% of 83.7, it would still be 83.7 / 93.4 = 89.6% of 93.4 kWh

Of course Porsche is advising 80% or 85% in various documents.

Any thoughts about this ?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
After using the Taycan for a few weeks and being a tiny little bit disappointed about the range, I started wondering if charging to 85% is actually needed, given the fact that The battery is 93.4 kWh, of which 83.7 kWh is usable.

This means that I charge the battery to (85% * 83.7) / 93.4 = 76.2% of 93.4 kWh

If I would charge to 100% of 83.7, it would still be 83.7 / 93.4 = 89.6% of 93.4 kWh

Of course Porsche is advising 80% or 85% in various documents.

Any thoughts about this ?
yes, for battery health it is ill advised to charge and then let the car sit at SOCs over 80%. if you want to charge to 100% that is fine as long as drive the car and take the SOC down.
on the other end it is bad practice to let the car sit at very low SOC, you should aim to keep the car between 20% and 80% when not in use.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
For what it's worth.....a 100% charge in my garage overnight gets me this display on MCConnect......."Restricted Operation, Device Temperature too high, reduce charging current in Device Settings and avoid direct sun light."
I'm back to 85% but obviously the 'device' referred to would be the MCConnect (on 50amp service), not the car.....but it's kinda interesting....this is WI and the garage at night was no more than 50 degrees.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For what it's worth.....a 100% charge in my garage overnight gets me this display on MCConnect......."Restricted Operation, Device Temperature too high, reduce charging current in Device Settings and avoid direct sun light."
I'm back to 85% but obviously the 'device' referred to would be the MCConnect (on 50amp service), not the car.....but it's kinda interesting....this is WI and the garage at night was no more than 50 degrees.
the restricted operation refers to regen, there can be no regen because there is no room in the battery for the regen kw. as for the other warnings they refer to the battery temp, which might be unique to your car.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Whats wrong with 50KW til 100% ?
Nothing, but it is more stress on battery in long term if you regularly charge to 100%, specially at faster rates. So essentially do it as you need it, but if not stop fast charging at 80.

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I charge 90%, 8 years owning electric cars 5 Tesla’s in my household no degradation problems. Tesla owners has used batteries up to 400.000 miles with 10-15% degradation

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I charge 90%, 8 years owning electric cars 5 Tesla’s in my household no degradation problems. Tesla owners has used batteries up to 400.000 miles with 10-15% degradation
what you did with your teslas worked for that car, as noted throughout this thread porsche says to charge to 80%. enjoy your car

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
what you did with your teslas worked for that car, as noted throughout this thread porsche says to charge to 80%. enjoy your car
lithium batteries are the same, the chemistry of Taycan and Tesla aren’t diffe, is like saying that an IPhone and Samsung phones should be charged in a differ way. You can read research papers about Lithium battery care that validates 90%. In fact apple recommends charging up to 90%. Porsche is very conservative and the end is the first EV and they are super careful.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
lithium batteries are the same, the chemistry of Taycan and Tesla aren’t diffe, is like saying that an IPhone and Samsung phones should be charged in a differ way. You can read research papers about Lithium battery care that validates 90%. In fact apple recommends charging up to 90%. Porsche is very conservative and the end is the first EV and they are super careful.
that all can be true, nonetheless if porsche recommends not charging beyond 80% for daily use I will follow the advice given, the difference in range between charging to 80% or 90% isn't meaningful enough to disregard the manufacturers recommendations.
Sponsored