riozilla

First Name
Rio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does this happen to anyone else? Frequently (ie: many times a day) it takes multiple minutes for my wireless CarPlay to connect and for audio to start playing through my Taycan.

I’ve made sure that my phone is connected to my “Taycan 5GHz” network the moment I sit down in the car (so that’s not the problem).

I noticed today that it took so long to connect but then when the LTE logo on the Taycan PCM screen kicked in then the CarPlay UX finally appeared on the screen.

Phone is an iPhone 12 Pro.

Any tips for how to optimize the connecting process or speed?
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
happens to me almost every time. it just takes a long time for the car to find the phone or the phone to find the car. sometimes I need to manually force the connection.
let's face it the the car is wonky electronically. I guess this is something that we will just have to deal with.
Yesterday the car couldn't locate the key in my pocket, then the car booted up and started then I get a message that the key can't be located. later on I tried to open the trunk with the button on the bumper no good so I used the key to get it open, forget about that foot thing, that worked exactly one time.
here's another wonky thing from yesterday, I open waze in car play and it is showing me at a location miles from where I was and I couldn't force it to change, so to play I entered my home as a destination, it tried to route me from where I really was to the locked position and then home. I just shut it down.
back in the good old telsa when things like that happened I would force a reboot and thing would return to normal, I guess maybe I'll need to reboot more often in this car.
bottom line is that none of this wonkiness affects the driving of the car so party on garth.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I would say that it is always the last thing to activate on the PCM, but it is reasonably consistent for me at about 30-60 seconds after startup.

OP
OP
riozilla

riozilla

First Name
Rio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm going to un-pair, reset my particular Wireless CarPlay and re-pair it to see if it helps to improve. Mine is definitely a lot longer than 30-60 seconds. I timed 4-6 minutes earlier today.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay consistently takes about 2 minutes to start on my 2020 Taycan, but if I don't power off the car before locking for a short stop, it starts up immediately when I unlock the car.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
ere's another wonky thing from yesterday, I open waze in car play and it is showing me at a location miles from where I was and I couldn't force it to change, so to play I entered my home as a destination, it tried to route me from where I really was to the locked position and then home. I just shut it down.
????
Waze is on the phone and that is your phone that has a problem, not the car!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
The Waze app issue was there for weeks and was driving me crazy. It would get “stuck” and update (on all cars mind you, nothing to do with Taycan) until I force quit and restart the app. Of course this is not what you want to do when driving. This seems to have finally been resolved by latest updates.

Now that Apple Maps has added crowssourcing reports I am moving over, assuming enough people start using the feature (they haven’t made it very obvious unfortunately).

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
For what it's worth, my experience is that if Waze is not completely shut down on the phone before connecting, I can run into buggy issues with CarPlay (especially Waze). Some issues:

• Not seeing my location correctly
  • Not showing navigation information (e.g., time to destination, next turn banner)
  • Not seeing navigation lines, but hearing navigation

If I open my phone when these things are happening and close Waze on my phone, CarPlay will go back to the main menu. Then I can launch Waze from the screen and it works fine.

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm going to un-pair, reset my particular Wireless CarPlay and re-pair it to see if it helps to improve. Mine is definitely a lot longer than 30-60 seconds. I timed 4-6 minutes earlier today.
I have found that this occasionally helps when things start getting really wonky.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
here's another wonky thing from yesterday, I open waze in car play and it is showing me at a location miles from where I was and I couldn't force it to change, so to play I entered my home as a destination, it tried to route me from where I really was to the locked position and then home. I just shut it down.
Apple or Google changed something, so Waze often doesn't properly wake up from standby when used with CarPlay. It's really obvious when it happens, as your location will be wherever it was when Waze was tombstoned, and you can't interact with it on the screen. If you kill Waze on the phone (as in, close it from task manager) it'll start working when you run it again.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Apple or Google changed something, so Waze often doesn't properly wake up from standby when used with CarPlay. It's really obvious when it happens, as your location will be wherever it was when Waze was tombstoned, and you can't interact with it on the screen. If you kill Waze on the phone (as in, close it from task manager) it'll start working when you run it again.
so much for modern technology o_O

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I noticed today that it took so long to connect but then when the LTE logo on the Taycan PCM screen kicked in then the CarPlay UX finally appeared on the screen.
That LTE connection, I believe is the cars connection to the internet. If that takes a long time you probably have bad cellular coverage or weak signal! Seems like the car is fully engaged to do this connection first and then connect to the phone via CarPlay?

I have noted a similar behaviour if parked underground. But if I am parked with a good coverage then it is quite fast. And the car might very well connect to a different network than the phone. I hve Orange as my operator, but the car is with SFR. And the signal strength differ quite a lot in different places.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
On the original question, it’s an iPhone 12 problem. It connected immediately for me when I had an iPhone X, now I have the same problem as you after “upgrading” to iPhone 12.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
yesterday the car play kept dropping out. I would get it to connect with the phone and then in a few minutes it would drop out, happened a few times.
what is really annoying is that the PCM will not reconnect while driving so you need to wait until you are stopped to reconnect.
Sponsored