andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
There is logic to the way it works, but there may be other wishes as well, that are not catered for. If I set my charging during preferred times, 02.00 to 07.00, the car is charged to 80% as set at 07.00. The benefit is that if I want to leave at that stage the battery has got some heat in it from the charging and will perform well when leaving. If it had started charging early and finished way before 07.00, it might have cooled down again and needs to take battery power to heat up on cold days!

I will agree however that the overall settings for charging could be implemented in a less complicated way. I also do not understand why I can not set my desired charge level at HPC DC chargers? There could be a queu to get a coffee and then the car charges to a higher level than wished for.
There is one problem with this implementation. I’m using a Tesla HPWC that is load balanced with another HPWC on a 100A circuit. My car also has the 19.2kW charger. This means in an ideal state the car can charge at 19.2kW. The problem is the car calculates when it should start charging based on the indicated max rate by the HPWC when it is first plugged in. Unfortunately, when it actually starts charging the available current may actually be less due to the load balancing. As result, the car can longer reach the target SOC during the preferred time. Had the car started charging at the beginning of the preferred time, it could have. Porsche has over complicated this. Make it simple: I want to start charging at x, and I want to charge to y%. Or even better, I want to start to charge at $time to Y% or stop at $time, whichever occurs first.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tconrad

tconrad

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Chalk Taycan 4S, E92 M3
Country flag
There is one problem with this implementation. I’m using a Tesla HPWC that is load balanced with another HPWC on a 100A circuit. My car also has the 19.2kW charger. This means in an ideal state the car can charge at 19.2kW. The problem is the car calculates when it should start charging based on the indicated max rate by the HPWC when it is first plugged in. Unfortunately, when it actually starts charging the available current may actually be less due to the load balancing. As result, the car can longer reach the target SOC during the preferred time. Had the car started charging at the beginning of the preferred time, it could have. Porsche has over complicated this. Make it simple: I want to start charging at x, and I want to charge to y%. Or even better, I want to start to charge at $time to Y% or stop at $time, whichever occurs first.
Without question Porsche has way overcomplicated this and *still* there are lots of scenarios that aren’t supported. It feels like the entire thing could simultaneously be simpler and more capable with some design tweaks. Having said that, it’s possible that Timers are solving some problem I don’t have and as a result their complexities seem superfluous to me.