Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
when does the light go out in the frunk? wouldn't that discharge the battery if left open?
I have left my car in the garage with the trunk open since my experience of the 12 volt problem. I have a lithium charger but do no always connect it. I am trying to find a way of routing the cable so you just can plug it into the car.

The trunk light is on for a while but it shuts down after a few minutes so no drain there if you do not connect a charger.
Sponsored

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
Porsche Taycan 12V Battery Dead 329CA64A-F470-41DB-8FDC-FA3D76F7EDCA

Doing the same here, after experiencing the 12v death twice now.

Dealer said to throttle down the wall charger from 3 phase to 1, since apparently the Taycan only supports 3p on a 400v setup, and my house only has 230v. But the thing is, my type 2 charging cable is only 1p and that's hardwired, so the car has never "seen" any 3p and therefore cannot have been confused by that. And that again tells me Porsche still have no clue..... I'm keeping my start booster right next to the car for now....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer said to throttle down the wall charger from 3 phase to 1, since apparently the Taycan only supports 3p on a 400v setup, and my house only has 230v. But the thing is, my type 2 charging cable is only 1p and that's hardwired, so the car has never "seen" any 3p and therefore cannot have been confused by that. And that again tells me Porsche still have no clue..... I'm keeping my start booster right next to the car for now....
That sounds very strange. I am not an electrician but that sounds so wrong to me.

My house has also a normal 230 volt supply between phase and neutral. Same in all of Europe more or less I think.

The 400 volt will be the voltage between two of the phases and not to neutral. If I remember my electricity from school it is 230 volt multiplied by square root of 3.
230 * 1.73 = 400 volt.

Show the response from your dealer to your electrician and confirm and then tell the dealer.
As you said the Porsche Dealers are completely useless when it comes to EV’s. Scary

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
I have left my car in the garage with the trunk open since my experience of the 12 volt problem. I have a lithium charger but do no always connect it. I am trying to find a way of routing the cable so you just can plug it into the car.

The trunk light is on for a while but it shuts down after a few minutes so no drain there if you do not connect a charger.
Just seen Hawk has had the issue again. It is not good enough from Porsche. I wonder did you manage to route a wire to jump start without taking the car apart when it happens?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just seen Hawk has had the issue again. It is not good enough from Porsche. I wonder did you manage to route a wire to jump start without taking the car apart when it happens?
Yes and No! We found a way to install a small connector under the windscreen with a watertight unit.
However Porsche did not want to install it for me. So I decided not to do it myself until Porsche has solved the issue completely. I did not want to risk them saying I had done some modification which would invalidate the warranty or contributed to the problem etc. etc.
Now it is up to them completely and I will not interfere with anything in the car at this stage.

I have left the cover panel off so it is quite easy to open the frunk and connect if needed. Since I park in my own garage now and do not go on any longer road trip due to the virus, I just leave the frunk open!

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Yes and No! We found a way to install a small connector under the windscreen with a watertight unit.
However Porsche did not want to install it for me. So I decided not to do it myself until Porsche has solved the issue completely. I did not want to risk them saying I had done some modification which would invalidate the warranty or contributed to the problem etc. etc.
Now it is up to them completely and I will not interfere with anything in the car at this stage.

I have left the cover panel off so it is quite easy to open the frunk and connect if needed. Since I park in my own garage now and do not go on any longer road trip due to the virus, I just leave the frunk open!
All makes sense. Seems crazy they haven't sorted this yet or at least communicated with owners. I hate to say it again but it's where Tesla does a good job here, they sort things pretty quickly and transparently, although the customer service is still extremely patchy.

Steinmetz

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, Macan, Alfa GTV, Tesla X, Volvo R
Country flag
LiON batteries have very little “external” indication they are low on power - the voltage is reasonably stable - you have to implement a dead-reckoning “counter” of power in/out - and just “know” the battery is almost empty - the probably also may be an issue of circumstances where the car will not bring the big battery “online” to charge the 12V - no idea what root cause is - but it’s not the same as a normal ICE starter battery…

Tesla’s had problems in this space, Chevy’s had problems in this space, as have others - Porsche seems to be learning along the way just like everyone else…

I do not believe Tesla is using LiON in the 12v application, at least not in my 2019 Model X. It is curious to me since Elon clearly wants to be on the leading edge of technology, perhaps there were issues he did not want to fight and went with AGM. I have not had a failure but "forum IQ" seems to peg 12v battery life at about 2 years and for the most part Tesla replaces under warranty. There are aftermarket LiON for Tesla but no real data on their success, that I am aware of.

OP
OP

Desert05

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
4S delivered Aug 7,2020. On 11/29 vehicle had been on home charger(ChargePoint HomeFlex 50)car charged to 85% but completely DEAD. Called Porsche Roadside after I had used "key" to manually open door....had to follow the procedure to open frunk and then jump start the 12V and was able to back out of garage. Then loaded on to flatbed to dealer.

I shared posts from this Forum regarding 12V with the Service Advisor and was told that they did not apply to my VIN. Further, told by Service Advisor that 12V was recharged and did not need replacement. However, the cause for the 12V failure was that the Porsche Connect App on my phone needs to be shutdown or it keeps communicating with the PCM continuing to wake the car up and thus draining the 12V.

Has anyone else been told this ? It's hard to believe this...
UPDATE 1/1/2021

Happy New Year all.....lets hope Porsche faces up to the issue so we don't have to worry about the 12V....to long in 2021.
I have charged my 2020 4S about 8 times since replacement of the 12V battery to 85% using my ChargePoint HomeFlex 50A with no incident....4,500+ miles on it now.
I have followed the directions of one of the members of the Forum and have deleted the Porsche Connect App from my iPhone and have lined the container I keep the keys in with aluminum foil to create the Faraday Cage.....here is hoping that continues to work. Crazy to have to worry about a $160K car not working when you want to drive it.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Do your friends ask about your tinfoil hat when they see that? ?
I would welcome any observations from my friends about anything in my house, since it would mean that they have actually been in my house. :D It's been over a year since any friends have been in my house; looking forward to that day in 2021...

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
329CA64A-F470-41DB-8FDC-FA3D76F7EDCA.jpeg

Doing the same here, after experiencing the 12v death twice now.

dealer is completely wrong. Taycan supports 240v on 3 phase .

H@wk

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, BMW 530XD, BMW 320I cab
Country flag
dealer is completely wrong. Taycan supports 240v on 3 phase .
Is there a official Porsche specification stating this somewhere that I can show the dealer tomorrow? (Car’s going in for a “checkup” re the 12 volt issue. I really don’t expect any solution unfortunately. I worry that the most they’ll do is switch out the 12 volt battery and give me the thumbs up....)

Freakzilla9

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche cayenne hybrid
Country flag
Is there a official Porsche specification stating this somewhere that I can show the dealer tomorrow? (Car’s going in for a “checkup” re the 12 volt issue. I really don’t expect any solution unfortunately. I worry that the most they’ll do is switch out the 12 volt battery and give me the thumbs up....)
type on google 3phase 240 v chargingfor Porsche Taycan and you’ll see many chargers being sold .Ev box pod point . And trust me I have 3 phase 240 v supported by my Porsche mobile charger connect

Porsche Taycan 12V Battery Dead 75739191-03F8-4BFC-8028-8625EDE7B2B2

Porsche Taycan 12V Battery Dead E7EB9743-6880-4908-B957-D60D095A7CA8

mziegler38

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2019 991.2 C4S
Country flag
How does the 12v battery recharge? No one has answered that question. Does it in fact recharge or just Slowey dies on the vine? I can't believe there are no provisions for recharging.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
12V is charged by the "big" during the vehicle's normal operation - it's allowed to "die" by the vehicle computer when the big battery is "offline" when the vehicle is "off".
Sponsored