Car won't start, dead 12v battery. Jump or service for new battery?

800v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ah, right. Preheating remotely might be like a start and thus recharge and give 8 fresh recharges. If that works that would be awesome -- no more worries to go on a looong vacation :) not sure how to test this...
I did a mini-test yesterday. For sure, a preheat will initiate a direct recharge of the 12V battery.
Here is a graph that shows an automatic recharge happened around 6.30h, and then later I initiated a preheat around 13.40h (and starting driving soon after):

Porsche Taycan Car won't start, dead 12v battery.  Jump or service for new battery? preheat-2023-02-15

Now, what we don't know for sure yet is if "pre-heating" gives a fresh 8 automatic recharges. That is, if the car terminal 15 becomes "on" or not. Not sure yet how to test this, or where to find this information. (It seems though like the car is on though when preheat is initiated; you can hear the relays click etc.)

(Ps. Also, in the name of testing, I am currently running 2 dashcams as well so the discharge rate is much higher than normally, like 5x or so)
Sponsored

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I did a mini-test yesterday. For sure, a preheat will initiate a direct recharge of the 12V battery.
Here is a graph that shows an automatic recharge happened around 6.30h, and then later I initiated a preheat around 13.40h (and starting driving soon after):

preheat-2023-02-15.jpg

Now, what we don't know for sure yet is if "pre-heating" gives a fresh 8 automatic recharges. That is, if the car terminal 15 becomes "on" or not. Not sure yet how to test this, or where to find this information. (It seems though like the car is on though when preheat is initiated; you can hear the relays click etc.)
That's really cool to know. Worst case scenario (state 15 isn't reached), one could recharge the battery by initiating preheat once a week? I don't know.

OP
OP

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Here's a followup...

Service told me that the 12v battery is failing the battery test because it won't take a full charge. And because I don't meet the warranty requirement of 6500 mi/yr, I need to pay for the battery. I've had the car for 2 1/2 yrs, and 12,111 miles, so I'm under that requirement at 4850 mi/yr.

They're asking $1k for a new battery. There is actually a mileage requirement to trigger the warranty???

Any advice? Not a happy camper here.

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Here's a followup...

Service told me that the 12v battery is failing the battery test because it won't take a full charge. And because I don't meet the warranty requirement of 6500 mi/yr, I need to pay for the battery. I've had the car for 2 1/2 yrs, and 12,111 miles, so I'm under that requirement at 4850 mi/yr.

They're asking $1k for a new battery. There is actually a mileage requirement to trigger the warranty???

Any advice? Not a happy camper here.
For what it's worth, they have the same requirement for the 12V battery for their ICE cars, and it's fairly easy to find people complaining about it. Not sure there's much you can do unfortunately, though I agree that sucks for a car less than 3 years old.

What I worry about most is that it's somewhat ambiguous whether those mileage requirements apply to the high voltage battery, because I would be absolutely livid if they tried to deny a HV battery replacement because I didn't run the car enough.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
Porsche, do you read this board? Do you see how pathetic it is that your owners are discussing how to keep their cars running because of your deplorable Battery Management System?

Please Remedy This. There is NO reason for this nonsense on a $45k car let alone one triple and quadruple that price. Embarrassing frankly.

/rant

i rescind this screed in an effort to put more positive vibes out there. caught myself at a weak moment at the end of a long day... as you were. :D
Sponsored

Last edited: