12 volt dead battery POLL

Have you ever had any issues with your 12 Volt battery dying, or your car going dead on its own?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Thought I would start this poll and send the results to Porsche to make sure it is fixed. It appears to be the main serious issue with the car.

If anyone has had any issues with this please report on this poll.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MARTY7

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3P. Fiat 595 Abarth, Audi S8 (Stage 2), DeLorean (Stage 3), Cayenne V8
Country flag
Thank you for help so far, 26 votes in.

OP
OP
MARTY7

MARTY7

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, when was that done? Did you get anywhere with Porsche?
Thank you.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Oh, when was that done? Did you get anywhere with Porsche?
Thank you.
Porsche reads forums too.
But if you ever going to contact Porsche you are free to use my results.
I've had an update recently so I know Porsche still works on this.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I have recently been hit by a dead 12V battery while parked in my garage. My Taycan 4S was delivered in late October, this is the first problem I have had with the car. Went away for 4 days, car parked in my garage, unlocked, not connected to charge cable, came home and plugged in to top off for the next day, woke up and headed to work and all electronics were dead. App showed 163 miles of range and approx. 63% charge. Porsche dealer had to come to my house to charge enough to start car and get it back to dealership. This is really unacceptable in a car that costs this much from a maker that has been making cars for this long. I’ve owned 2 Tesla Model S and a Tesla Model Y, and my first Model S had a few issues the first 2 years (2013,2014) with its 12V battery also, but those issues were worked out and never had them again after that with either car. I love this car, but it needs to be reliable enough to start virtually every day or be easily jump started. The process to jump start this car is not easy at all, we should not also be expected to own 12V battery chargers for this car in case of emergency. I’m very disappointed that Porsche knows about this problem and has not let owners know or their dealers and service departments or come up with a solution.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have recently been hit by a dead 12V battery while parked in my garage. My Taycan 4S was delivered in late October, this is the first problem I have had with the car. Went away for 4 days, car parked in my garage, unlocked, not connected to charge cable, came home and plugged in to top off for the next day, woke up and headed to work and all electronics were dead. App showed 163 miles of range and approx. 63% charge. Porsche dealer had to come to my house to charge enough to start car and get it back to dealership. This is really unacceptable in a car that costs this much from a maker that has been making cars for this long. I’ve owned 2 Tesla Model S and a Tesla Model Y, and my first Model S had a few issues the first 2 years (2013,2014) with its 12V battery also, but those issues were worked out and never had them again after that with either car. I love this car, but it needs to be reliable enough to start virtually every day or be easily jump started. The process to jump start this car is not easy at all, we should not also be expected to own 12V battery chargers for this car in case of emergency. I’m very disappointed that Porsche knows about this problem and has not let owners know or their dealers and service departments or come up with a solution.
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Out of curiosity, did you have any connection between the Connect app and the Taycan during this final and fatal charging session, to check the SoC percentage or so? Many of us are trying to find out whether not using the app at all shields us from the 12V battery mishaps.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Out of curiosity, did you have any connection between the Connect app and the Taycan during this final and fatal charging session, to check the SoC percentage or so? Many of us are trying to find out whether not using the app at all shields us from the 12V battery mishaps.
I was connected to the app the whole time while I was out of town and when I returned. I have used it since I took delivery of my car and had no issues. I use a home profile to charge with the mobil charger connect and charge to the recommended 85% level. I don't charge every day, usually only when I fall below about 30% charge. I have since logged out of the connect app, and the Porsche service technician took my charger and all accessories with them? to the dealership today.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I cannot agree more with you. The 12V battery issue and the other electrical errors that multiple owners complain about. What is unacceptable is that this issue is known for months and they have not figured it out yet and their latest TSB is asking the dealers to collect as much data as possible for their investigation. That makes me feel like a beta tester and I doubt if there will be a solution. This also might not quality for a recall since it is not a safety issue given that the car is stationary. So we might just have to live with it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I was connected to the app the whole time while I was out of town and when I returned. I have used it since I took delivery of my car and had no issues. I use a home profile to charge with the mobil charger connect and charge to the recommended 85% level. I don't charge every day, usually only when I fall below about 30% charge. I have since logged out of the connect app, and the Porsche service technician took my charger and all accessories with them? to the dealership today.
Thanks. Crossing my fingers for you.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cannot agree more with you. The 12V battery issue and the other electrical errors that multiple owners complain about. What is unacceptable is that this issue is known for months and they have not figured it out yet and their latest TSB is asking the dealers to collect as much data as possible for their investigation. That makes me feel like a beta tester and I doubt if there will be a solution. This also might not quality for a recall since it is not a safety issue given that the car is stationary. So we might just have to live with it.
I bought my first Tesla Model S in late 2012, so I am not afraid of new technology or being the beta for products I believe in like the Taycan. That being said, Porsche has had a lot of time to know this problem exists and try to at least acknowledge it and let all owners know this could be a problem. It is also a fatal problem in that the car is totally non-functional and would leave you stranded if it happens away from home. None of us as owners of our $100-200+k cars can live with the fear of being stranded at anytime and any place. I would not take a long road trip in this car currently as I am afraid it may strand me somewhere that Porsche service is not readily available.

JacobDK

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I asked my dealer if they would supply me with a suitable 12V booster. Still waiting for their response..

Hootch280

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan S, Mclaren 720S
Country flag
I have had the 12 volt flat battery problem but ....
It was parked in the garage and was not on charge and had not been used for a couple of days. The 12 volt battery is quite small - compared with an ICE car - it is not required to start an engine after all. I had Garmin Dash camera connected and it drained the 12 volt li-ion so I could not even enter the car. Seemed odd the time because its not like you have a 'generator' as on an ICE car to recharge it but it only gets recharged by the main batteries when the car is switched on. Porsche sent out the AA and the guy but a mobile battery on it - after opening the door manually and the hood via the fuse panel , powered up the car and the problem was resolved.
I know what caused the problem but its clear that the 12 volt battery is really quite small (Amp/h ) and clearly has as a cut out when the combined cell voltage drops below 12 volts to stop cell damage.
I'm careful not to leave anything powered in the car now went its parked !! The point is that even a small thing like a dash cam on standby can drain the battery over a few days.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It was parked in the garage and was not on charge and had not been used for a couple of days. The 12 volt battery is quite small - compared with an ICE car - it is not required to start an engine after all. I had Garmin Dash camera connected and it drained the 12 volt li-ion so I could not even enter the car. Seemed odd the time because its not like you have a 'generator' as on an ICE car to recharge it but it only gets recharged by the main batteries when the car is switched on. Porsche sent out the AA and the guy but a mobile battery on it - after opening the door manually and the hood via the fuse panel , powered up the car and the problem was resolved.
I know what caused the problem but its clear that the 12 volt battery is really quite small (Amp/h ) and clearly has as a cut out when the combined cell voltage drops below 12 volts to stop cell damage.
I'm careful not to leave anything powered in the car now went its parked !! The point is that even a small thing like a dash cam on standby can drain the battery over a few days.
That is very interesting. I have read all the forums and this is the first time I see a 12v battery die when the car is not plugged in a charger (with a charging profile) or the Connect app is not used.

It still feels that the car could be smarter and supply power to the 12v battery from the big battery or the charger if it is plugged in to prevent the total death.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am very careful not to leave anything plugged in or on when my car is parked in my garage for this very fear of 12V battery issues, as this happened with my Tesla early on. This is a design flaw and needs a fix by Porsche, otherwise it may be a problem Taycan is saddled with and ruins a great car. My car was unlocked in a climate controlled garage and not connected to a charger for 4 days, I did connect overnight when I got back home from a trip , probably connected for 8 hours. No charging took place and battery remained at 65% charge from the time I got home and when the service rep came to jump start my car and take it away. The jump start procedure is not an easy problem to fix either, the service rep really had to work to get the panel off in the driver footwell, and the frunk panel as well. I don't think most owners have a 12V lithium ion charger/booster laying around the house either to use to restart the electronics. Porsche service does not have one they sell either, at least at my local dealer. Sorry to be venting to all of you on this forum, but you can imagine how disappointing this issue is in your 2 month old $150,000 Porsche. I hope none of you has to deal with this moving forward and it gets resolved quickly.
Sponsored