150kW DC-DC converter option

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
WOW, you have a forward thinking country!

Chuck J
Sponsored

3/4 Life Crisis

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'95 911 993 C2, 2 4Runners and a '19 F-150
Country flag
I trying to finalize my build on a 4S. The on-board charger option is my last decision. This pretty much confirmed my confusion.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I trying to finalize my build on a 4S. The on-board charger option is my last decision. This pretty much confirmed my confusion.
I understand the confusion. It's good to look at PlugShare around where you plan to be traveling the most. for me I was going to always focus on using Electrify America which are all 800 volt Chargers. When I look in California the only chargers that are above 50 KW are pretty much also 800v also. there are several more cars coming on the market in 2021 that use 800 volts so I see it as the new VHS standard.

I'm not sorry I didn't get that option, I am a little sorry I didn't get the massage seat option. ;)

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
I think Ron has a point to look at the provider apps, but don't forget A Better Route Planner (ABRP). I think that's one of the best sources also. I was in the same position as you are, but in the end I got it- better safe than sorry and I wouldn't want to lose a sale on my vehicle because someone wanted that option. A lot of the very fast chargers are also having troubles depending on the supplier. The guys that just got the Cannonball record ran into several very high speed chargers that didn't handshake and they ended up going to a slower one.

BTW You can probably count on getting 275-300 miles on your 4S on the road except in the coldest conditions. That's how the guys beat a Tesla Model 3 and used the northern route through the Rocky Mountains doing it. In the summer I took a 200 mile trip and experienced a 29.6 Kw/100 mi efficiency and I have 20" Turbo wheels instead of the more efficient 19".

Chuck J

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
its' very very cheap insurance - and you'll regret it the times when you could've used it - in the grand scheme of Porsche option cost - this is next to nothing and it can't be retrofitted - and it's actually functional as opposed to high $$$ cosmetic…

get it, forget it, and benefit from it when you need it.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Folks buy a very expensive EV like a Taycan and then want to save a few hundred dollars on a feature that actually adds to its EV capability?

:facepalm:

3/4 Life Crisis

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Folks buy a very expensive EV like a Taycan and then want to save a few hundred dollars on a feature that actually adds to its EV capability?

:facepalm:
I don't mind paying a lot for something of value, but I like to understand the value of what I buy.

3/4 Life Crisis

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
its' very very cheap insurance - and you'll regret it the times when you could've used it - in the grand scheme of Porsche option cost - this is next to nothing and it can't be retrofitted - and it's actually functional as opposed to high $$$ cosmetic…

get it, forget it, and benefit from it when you need it.
OK, you've convinced me.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good decision, Bob.

You know, someday Tesla might open up the Supercharger network to us.

Chuck

3/4 Life Crisis

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good decision, Bob.

You know, someday Tesla might open up the Supercharger network to us.

Chuck
The market opportunity would be for Tesla to sell the network and let someone else expand it by opening it. Tesla gets capital and the network operates at a higher capacity.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't foresee the day Tesla would open their network.
Number 1, it's fully branded Tesla, not sure what other automaker would want to be investing in expansion of a network without their name.
Number 2, Tesla already maxes out their stations and I feel having the exclusivity is a perc for them.

I do appreciate the temptation to collect some money from other people, so I guess anything could happen. I do expect Tesla will eventually upgrade to 800v in a few years as well. Have to keep up with the Jones's.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
I'm not sure if I understand your concern about a pretty handy and cheap option.

This is what I was told:
Dee, a Taycan can charge at 225 kW or 270 kW if the fast charger can handle 800 volts. If not, you will fall back to only 50 kW if you have not checked the extra 150 kW option during configuration.

So, for me, that's a no-brainer.
What you were told is incomplete...
For 350 kW (or 270+ kW) chargers which are 100% 800+ volts, Taycan will charge at those rates. For 150 kW CCS chargers 99.9% in the US (all EA from what others here have stated though I'm still looking for absolute confirmation about that) are 800v so Taycan will charge at 150 kW rate and this option does nothing for you. If you happen to bump into that odd duck 400v 150kW charger (and if TSLA ever opens it's existing 400v superchargers to non-TSLA and allows > 50kW charging for non-TSLA vehicles) *ONLY THEN* will a Taycan without this option charge slower than with.

It is dirt cheap, but I'm stuck on why put something in the car I will never use because a dealer doesn't really know what they are talking about.

bosbruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster S, 2022 Taycan 4S, 2023 Tesla Plaid S
Country flag
I understand the confusion. It's good to look at PlugShare around where you plan to be traveling the most. for me I was going to always focus on using Electrify America which are all 800 volt Chargers. When I look in California the only chargers that are above 50 KW are pretty much also 800v also. there are several more cars coming on the market in 2021 that use 800 volts so I see it as the new VHS standard.

I'm not sorry I didn't get that option, I am a little sorry I didn't get the massage seat option. ;)
Hi Ron, I'm configuring a 4S myself now (with massage seats :)) and don't want to throw what appears to be a useless option on it, but salesperson who owns a Taycan w/ the feature said he has personal experience at DCFC noting the car with that feature charged "noticeably faster" (but he didn't say the charger and didn't have the charge rates, temperature, or SoC of the 2 vehicles so his data is anecdotal at best).

Do you have sources (URLs?) for your data showing most all US 150kW chargers are 800v to help me make that decision?

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I'm configuring a 4S myself now (with massage seats :)) and don't want to throw what appears to be a useless option on it,
I don't have the 150kw option.
But I do have the seat massager.
I use the seat massager maybe twice a week. Its great. I have no idea when (if ever) I'd be using the 150kw DC charger. I charge at home mostly and the rare cases when I charge away from home, I've used an EA charger which are 800v. The worst that can happen if I encounter a 400v 150kw charger is that my charging will be throttled to 50kw.
Honestly, when I charge my Tesla model Y at Tesla chargers, I rarely get over 50kw even though some of the Tesla chargers are rated at 150kw.
Sponsored